U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,595,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I get the same thing by mowing my own lawn, dirty and/or sympathetic looks form some neighbors, occasionally people will pull up to me in their car and ask if I ever would consider selling the house when they see me mowing the lawn, but they never inquire if I'm just out in the yard, or coming and going from the house.
Next time, say to them "no hablo ingles" or "me no live here".

Actually you shouldn't care what they think or say. If they want to waste their money by hiring people to do their lawns, let them. Do your own thing, do what you want to do because it is your property, not theirs.

Is this the type of neighborhood where everyone does the same thing? Does everyone decorate their homes with Christmas lights in exactly the same color? If so, follow their lead and then put a nice bright red light in there so that it is noticeable from any direction. This will annoy the heck out of them.

I can't stand neighbors like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM

1,927 posts, read 3,481,166 times
I just started cutting my lawn myself again about a month ago. No one gives me dirty looks or says anything - except my one neighbor who kids me when he says I "make him look bad" to his wife because he isnt doing his own lawn. I really am shocked and a little skeptical of the reactions you are getting.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

440 posts, read 912,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I just started cutting my lawn myself again about a month ago. No one gives me dirty looks or says anything - except my one neighbor who kids me when he says I "make him look bad" to his wife because he isnt doing his own lawn. I really am shocked and a little skeptical of the reactions you are getting.
It depends on the area you are living in. I got the looks when I started mowing the lawn at my mom's house (upscale area). Where my husband and I live, he mows the lawn and nobody says anything, most likely because we are on the border of a blue collar/uber rich area (normal homes transition into mansions a quarter of a mile up the road).

I almost think it's worth it living in more of a blue collar area since you don't have to worry about your neighbors being stuck up pretentious asses. (Not that all neigbors are like this...I guess my annoyance is showing through here :O)

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,731,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
My neigbor said I should sell my house if I can't afford to maintain it. Nice, right? I feel your pain. The house has been paid for in full for the past thirty years. I don't think they can say the same about their house.
LOL...no pain involved, I actually find it quite amusing from a sociological standpoint, some of the people who have inquired about a potential house sale did not have the best command of the English language or an exceedingly high level of education as in: "Yiz evvah think about sellin this place?" But no doubt they have a landscaper.

Guess it all comes down to priorities and what is important to you, my area is upscale and the home much smaller than surrounding properties so this plays a role I'm sure.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

440 posts, read 912,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
LOL...no pain involved, I actually find it quite amusing from a sociological standpoint, some of the people who have inquired about a potential house sale did not have the best command of the English language or an exceedingly high level of education as in: "Yiz evvah think about sellin this place?" But no doubt they have a landscaper.

Guess it all comes down to priorities and what is important to you, my area is upscale and the home much smaller than surrounding properties so this plays a role I'm sure.
Right now we don't have any kids, so the location isn't a huge issue. If for some reason we do have kids (I'm not getting any younger here LOL) we will move out to the smallest house in the best area in CSH or someplace similar.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 62,187 times
Its not "the ghetto" yet even though there are gangs and ghetto people. It keeps getting worse every year. I just moved to PJS this year PJS is waaay worse than PJ.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,314,604 times
The problem here doesn't seem to be related to wealthy people choosing to hire landscapers. It's because we have PJS right up the block, where we have the train and drug recovery facilities. Combine the drug rehabs with the home for mentally ill and the residents who sell their prescription medication to the addicts, and a big problem is a happening. The biggest problem in PJS is that NYC transit officers are putting illegals/druggies/problematic people on the train and telling them to hop off at PJS, anything to keep the problem out of the city and away from NYC transit.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM

1,919 posts, read 4,750,443 times
Mommy, is this happening or do you think this is happening? People who stay at Pax Chrsti are tested daily. If they are found with drugs in their system they are kicked out. It's hard to believe there is a trade of drugs between the rehab and the mental institution. Why has the NYC transit decided to bring all their problems to Port Jeff? Why not Babylon, Montauk, Oyster Bay or some other end of the train line town? I'm sensing some paranoia. Are you sure you're not the one doing the drugs?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,731,953 times
So what you are saying is NYC transit is trying to turn P.J. into the "PJ's"

Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,902,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
The problem here doesn't seem to be related to wealthy people choosing to hire landscapers. It's because we have PJS right up the block, where we have the train and drug recovery facilities. Combine the drug rehabs with the home for mentally ill and the residents who sell their prescription medication to the addicts, and a big problem is a happening. The biggest problem in PJS is that NYC transit officers are putting illegals/druggies/problematic people on the train and telling them to hop off at PJS, anything to keep the problem out of the city and away from NYC transit.
Same kinda deal here in Westbury, we get the bad stuff that bleeds over from New Cassel. If we didn't share a school district it'd probably be less of an issue.
I cant believe how much worse sections of Suffolk have gotten though. The times of fleeing Nassau to Suffolk to avoid the problems is OVER.
There are solutions to these problems. Here in Westbury I've suggested trying to get rid of places that cater to illegals and drunks, mainly bodegas and places that sell beer. C-Town is a huge problem and really needs to be knocked down and a North Shore farms put there instead.
PJS instead allows a Bravo supermarket to move in, which will be a huge mistake. Fortunately we dont have the rehabs here in Westbury, and I much prefer waiting at the train station here versus at PJ. There's a rehab place right behind the platform at PJS, and they often go over to hang out at the station and beg ppl for money.
The crux of it is the whole island has become citified, but doesn't have the police infrastructure to deal with these urban problems. Just like transit, we have gridlocked roads but no decent system like other urbanized areas have. But I still believe those that hire illegals are certainly making the problem worse, as I see everyday the landscaping trucks that hire illegals coming back down Post ave from the north shore, dropping them off. Fortunately the vast majority of them are going down to Union Ave, which borders N.C.
I'm always amazed at how Garden City is able to keep its streets looking good and safe, despite bordering Hempstead which is way worse than New Cassel. Perhaps its because of it's own village police force. Sounds like that's what LI's villages that are having problems need.
GC is a nice place to live, if you can afford it. Even Westbury, the section that goes to Carle Place schools.
Its just a shame what the island has become. Its been my home for all my life. I dont want to leave, but at the rate things are going it will look like the S.Bronx in 5 years.
All it takes is more community involvement. They seem to be able to do that in Garden City, despite being right next to Hempstead.
The worst problem you'll have there is jet noise, which is alot better than gangs, drugs and illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island