U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,154,764 times
Default MLSLI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I'm referring to when you search the MLS. If you put in East Massapequa the homes are zoned for Amityville.
Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM

72 posts, read 105,449 times
Walter,

I think the MLS categorizes homes according to how the majority refer to the neighborhoods rather than adhering to technically correct categorization. It does present a problem as some people wish to move to a certain area and when they view the home they come to find out the home is technically zoned for a different postal code. It happens a lot with Dix Hills as well as Massapequa. Realtors can be a bit "tricky" when listing a home. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

432 posts, read 546,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Some of my friends and neighbors in Stony Brook, E Setauket & Setauket (including Strongs Neck, Old Field and Poquott) leave their doors unlocked. I could never imagine deliberately doing that, although I have been guilty of forgetting to the lock the door at my house in Stony Brook. My office is in Setauket; one time I forgot to lock the door and went on vacation! Not a single problem.
We drove through those areas on our way out tonight and they were really nice. My main concern would be the distance to NYC if I ever decided I wanted to practice law again.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Stony Brook Village has a real mix of housing. There are homes on the side streets and along Christian under $500K, and a few I know of under $400K.
Granted they will need work, might have small lots. But for someone wanting to get into a nice area, they are a way to get one's foot in the door.
I'm basing this on five years ago. I actually just looked on MLS and it is amazing what you can buy in Stony Brook now. I like the area near the village. Where is the most desirable area in Stony Brook anyway (besides Old Field)?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Moi, le snob? LOL! JDMBA wrote village....I merely highlighted it with relation to the $700K pricetag she put out there.

I'm more partial to the village area because I like the mix of houses and the historic district. I grew up in Levittown and Massapequa living in developments so for me, when looking for a house a big priority was no developments.
I agree. I grew up in a cookie cutter type area as did my husband and we appreciate the older homes that are dripping with character.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM

Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Walter,

I think the MLS categorizes homes according to how the majority refer to the neighborhoods rather than adhering to technically correct categorization. It does present a problem as some people wish to move to a certain area and when they view the home they come to find out the home is technically zoned for a different postal code. It happens a lot with Dix Hills as well as Massapequa. Realtors can be a bit "tricky" when listing a home. Thanks for the clarification.

LoveBeingAMommy, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 PM

If you're looking to be closer to NYC, I'm a big fan of Wantagh "Woods" section. You do not get the property that you would in Suffolk, but that town does not change at all, and you have the express train on the Babylon line, which is great. Shops and restaurants everywhere, fantastic schools, access to the Southern, Seaford Oyster Bay and Wantagh Pkwy, all within blocks of the "Woods" section. Often wonder why I left.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I'm basing this on five years ago. I actually just looked on MLS and it is amazing what you can buy in Stony Brook now. I like the area near the village. Where is the most desirable area in Stony Brook anyway (besides Old Field)?
I'm going to stick with N of 25A. There are some nice areas south of 25A, like the S Section, but it is a development.

Old Field is in Setauket. Mt Grey Rd is the zip code dividing line between Setauket and Stony Brook. At West Meadow Rd, everything north is the start of Old Field.

People tend to want to be north of Christian, as that situates them closer to the water. You have streets like Erland which have houses ranging from the $400s to well over a million because of their vintage and fantastic harbor views. (The house I love sold earlier this year for around 1 million) There are a few neighborhoods north of Christian (closer to Quaker) and a few of Mt Grey which feature a private beach and easy access to the creek (great if you love canoeing.)

The streets closer to the village have many older homes with a few new remodels thrown in. The Town's historic advisory board does try to keep an eye on what is done, so as not to destroy the look of the village.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Old Field is in Setauket.
Old Field is a village, and by NYS definition, a village can not be part of a hamlet and vice versa.

Quote:
The streets closer to the village ...
Is that another colloquial village, meaning the downtown area of the Hamlet of Stony Brook?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:23 AM

My parents are on Erland now. We almost purchased the bungalow is right next to the corner historic home, left hand side. They've since expanded, it looks great for what you could do with the property. Lotowana is an interesting little street as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island