Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM

58 posts, read 165,044 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to LI in September and I am finding it impossible to find a rental property that will allow a Trained 11 yr old small 65lb shepherd? We will take a rental community or a home for rent.

We are looking to be in the: Port Jefferson/Setuaket/Mt Sinai/Miller Pl/Centereach/Coram area. I have been thru the ringer with most of the nicer communities like Fairfield and Heatherwood. They all say they take pets until u say shepherd, I dont get it.

I am getting so frustrated calling everyone so I am putting it out here on this forum where I know there are alot of people with knowlege of all different areas. Any help will be greatly appreciated we will be willing to pay up to $2300.00 a month plus utilities. Ideal would be a 2br/2bath/Garage single family home, No Basement apt's please.

The winner will get dinner for 2 at your favorite restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Why did you even mention the type of dog? If they said they allowed dogs and asked, just say it's a mix and you aren't even sure what to call it.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

58 posts, read 165,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Why did you even mention the type of dog? If they said they allowed dogs and asked, just say it's a mix and you aren't even sure what to call it.
Trust me I tried it already, either they said we need to see the vet records which have the type of breed or they said if it looks like a shepherd or is even mixed with a shepherd it wont be allowed!!

Some said they will take any size dog just not a shepherd plus a whole list of breeds that they deem aggressive, that is why I am on here now trying to get some help. I have to be 100% sure they will take him because I am moving up from FL and I cant have them tell me no when I get there.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboy2141 View Post
Trust me I tried it already, either they said we need to see the vet records which have the type of breed or they said if it looks like a shepherd or is even mixed with a shepherd it wont be allowed!!

Some said they will take any size dog just not a shepherd plus a whole list of breeds that they deem aggressive, that is why I am on here now trying to get some help. I have to be 100% sure they will take him because I am moving up from FL and I cant have them tell me no when I get there.
Oh I see.

That sucks, can't help sorry

Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,273 times
I'm gonna guess that the issue with the dog has to do with their liability insurance.

I wonder if you could get your own insurance policy for the dog... a rental policy with substantial coverage and leave a larger security policy in case he nibbles on the window cranks etc... also, you could sign something indemnifying them if the dog hurt somebody.

Probably wouldn't help you with a corporate owned complex, but maybe it would help with a privately owned home for rent?

I'd check into the insurance option first.

good luck.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Why not just browse Craigslist for private rentals and speak with the owners directly?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Try the local paper:
NORTHSHOREOFLONGISLAND.COM - Powered by TBR Newspapers
Once on classified, scroll down about 3/4 of the way (more or less) and you'll find RE listings, rentals, etc. Also, you'll find the name of local RE agents -- perhaps that's the way to go as opposed to an apartment community?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
Stumble on your post - Wow $2300 for rent. You could buy a home for that amount per month, I am sure you can find a house to rent for less than that.

My wife and I have an eight year old Shep/lab and a 1yr old Lopsa. They are members of the family and make for good guard dogs when we are away.

See you're in Florida, do you have to live in those towns? There are towns more convenient to New York as well as Montauk.

We brought our home years ago near Commack (exit 53 LIE). We are 45 minutes from the City, 45 Minutes to the east end, 15 minute drive to both the north or south shores.

My $00.02

Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
My favorite restaurant is in Honolulu...does that count?? :-)

Yeah it is interesting...I do a lot of traveling and we look for short term rentals. A lot of times there will be a list of certain breeds that are not allowed. Its the ones you'd expect (pit bull, doberman, etc).

Since you are looking out this way...try the BNL classifieds..there are a few rentals in there each week.
The Bulletin - BNL's Weekly Newspaper

Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
This makes me angry. "Yes, we only allow littledogs that are usually nastier and far more inclined to bite than a well-trained larger dog, but it's easier for us this way to just lump 'certain breeds' together."

I wish I could help you, other than to say that you dodged a bullet with Fairfield. The units aren't that nice, and the company is slimy beyond all slime. Trust me, I moved to one from out of town, and they showed me a renovated unit and made all kinds of promises about what I would have when I arrived, and when I got there, my unit was a dump and remained that way until I moved out--and then they tried to charge me for things like the carpet, which was filthy and gross when I got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island