Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
because fireworks are our biggest concern these days...
There's that logic again. The state passes a law because things are legitimately dangerous (and mortars shells are, as proven this summer), but you bring up the fact that the authorities aren't doing anything about it, and it's YOU who are the bad guy. Stop trying to spoil peoples fun with explosives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There's that logic again. The state passes a law because things are legitimately dangerous (and mortars shells are, as proven this summer), but you bring up the fact that the authorities aren't doing anything about it, and it's YOU who are the bad guy. Stop trying to spoil peoples fun with explosives.
I was sarcastic and think that fireworks are NOT our biggest concern.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I was sarcastic and think that fireworks are NOT our biggest concern.
Yeah, I knew that, and I was pointing out how backwards you thinking is.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I knew that, and I was pointing out how backwards you thinking is.
what?

fireworks, one day a year, is a bigger concern than any of the stuff that people are whining about on this forum?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
what?

fireworks, one day a year, is a bigger concern than any of the stuff that people are whining about on this forum?
Then don't have a law.

A law that can be randomly enforced at the discretion of the authorities isn't a good law.

"We made a huge seizure of illegal fireworks in Flushing!! A few Chinese guys now have serious criminal records!! "

Next week the same guys who made the seizure are blowing off tons of gunpowder in their backyards on the 4th, or looking the other way because the guy blowing them off runs the fire house.

I don't know, I have this thing about justice and fairness. It's very un-American of me.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Then don't have a law.

A law that can be randomly enforced at the discretion of the authorities isn't a good law.

"We made a huge seizure of illegal fireworks in Flushing!! A few Chinese guys now have serious criminal records!! "

Next week the same guys who made the seizure are blowing off tons of gunpowder in their backyards on the 4th, or looking the other way because the guy blowing them off runs the fire house.

I don't know, I have this thing about justice and fairness. It's very un-American of me.
There are MANY dumb laws on the books these days.

Dumb Laws in New York. Crazy New York Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
I wonder if the OP isn't really upset about the fireworks as much as angry they weren't invited to the block's festivities on the 4th.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,755 times
Here's the thing... there are people who are idiots and shouldn't be blowing off fireworks. But you can't just make a law that says 'idiots can't blow off fireworks" - it has to be for everybody.

I used to consider this kind of stuff social Darwinism... but packed together on a tight island... these idiots take the rest of us down too.

Case in point - I keep my boat on a trailer in a storage lot. It's got boats, RVs, landscaping trucks etc. It's all business... just a gravel and dirt lot with a barbed wire fence and a combo lock. I pay good money for my spot. There's this idiot who has some equipment there who treats it like a social club... picnic tables, people drinking... gate left open.

I trailered the boat out east this past weekend and about midnight on July 4th, I get to the lot with my boat in tow to drop it off and it's loaded with kids having a kegger... and they are blowing off mortars... in this lot, filled with boats and trucks with vented gas tanks. Idiots.

I wonder how many village cops passed that lot and shrugged?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
what?

Where did you get the "One Day A Year".....?

It seems to go in cycles, spreading out weeks or even a month or more building up to the 4th, and even a week or two after. Then something seems to happen, either people get fed up, the law cracks down, or in this case probably the economy, and it shortens down again to a week or so building up to the 4th. Then starts to spread again repeating the cycle.

Christmas shopping seems to follow a similar cycle, the difference is Santa doesn't loose an arm.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM

can't say I hear fireworks any time other than the 7/4 block of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island