Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to consolidate LI school districs for a 50% tax reduction?
Yes- The tax burden needs to be reduced 66 74.16%
No- Our schools are too important, I'll pay the extra taxes 23 25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM

13,039 posts, read 17,990,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
instead of consolidation of the school districts, why not eliminate the tons of layers of administrators ?
I attended a very large LI high school in the early seventies. Graduating class over 1000.
One principal. A few assistant principals. Most of the deans were also full time teachers. One school psychologist for a 3400 student school, who was only there a few days a week (also covered the jr. high).
Heads of departments were full time teachers as well.
Today we have "assistant directors of fine arts" . Director of physical education. Assistant director of dance.
Don't give me any grief about increasing technology, 95% of these positions seem bogus.
Back in the day the "Gym teacher" reported to the principal at the end of the calendar year what equipment was necessary for the coming school year. He would pad it a bit since he still had a partial school year to account for missing and damaged, balls, ropes, etc. Today, they have an "equipment manager". If anyone can tell me the "EM" does on a daily basis, I would love to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,813,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Back in the day the "Gym teacher" reported to the principal at the end of the calendar year what equipment was necessary for the coming school year. He would pad it a bit since he still had a partial school year to account for missing and damaged, balls, ropes, etc. Today, they have an "equipment manager". If anyone can tell me the "EM" does on a daily basis, I would love to know.
I do not know of any local district with an "equipment manager." Maybe part of a coaches stipend, but not a salaried position. Never heard of it. In fact, most equipment managers are students. Colleges however, definitely hire equipment managers as part of the athletics department. Also usually students or recent sports management grads.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I do not know of any local district with an "equipment manager." Maybe part of a coaches stipend, but not a salaried position. Never heard of it. In fact, most equipment managers are students. Colleges however, definitely hire equipment managers as part of the athletics department. Also usually students or recent sports management grads.
I am positive of it in fact. I did not state that it was a "salaried" position, however, it is indeed a stipend. Those stipends in and of them selves are a joke. My point was that the "equipment manager" is now being paid to do the job that the "Gym teacher" was formerly responsible for as part of his pay.

I am well aware how these silly stipends came about as I was teaching when they did. The only ones who were getting stipends back in the late 70's were the gym teachers who were coaches. They got a bump for coaching. One day the academic teachers approached the union and wanted "in" on this deal. Thus the beginning of yearbook advisor, band concert advisor, cheerleader coach, etc. was started. Crap in the district I lived in, they were able to parlay, the moms and dads ouster from things like ticket takers at a school play into an hourly payment for the teachers under the "audience control" label. They were paying $50 per hour back in 2007. It apparently is not at all uncommon now and all one has to do is go to See Through NY to read for yourself.

Before anyone asks if I got in on the gravy train, the answer is no. I fell in love and moved. When the love left and I came back to NY the job market was gone and I never returned to the job.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,813,832 times
Quote:
I am positive of it in fact. I did not state that it was a "salaried" position, however, it is indeed a stipend. Those stipends in and of them selves are a joke. My point was that the "equipment manager" is now being paid to do the job that the "Gym teacher" was formerly responsible for as part of his pay.

I am well aware how these silly stipends came about as I was teaching when they did. The only ones who were getting stipends back in the late 70's were the gym teachers who were coaches. They got a bump for coaching. One day the academic teachers approached the union and wanted "in" on this deal. Thus the beginning of yearbook advisor, band concert advisor, cheerleader coach, etc. was started. Crap in the district I lived in, they were able to parlay, the moms and dads ouster from things like ticket takers at a school play into an hourly payment for the teachers under the "audience control" label. They were paying $50 per hour back in 2007. It apparently is not at all uncommon now and all one has to do is go to See Through NY to read for yourself.

Before anyone asks if I got in on the gravy train, the answer is no. I fell in love and moved. When the love left and I came back to NY the job market was gone and I never returned to the job.
You don't have to preach to me that these clowns are overcompensated, I've already been banned for arguing about it enough times. Your other post just made it sound like an actual union position, which wouldn't really shock me to tell the truth! Yup, the chaperone thing is definitely a nice bonus. The excuse is "the teachers are already fingerprinted" so it's safer. Aye yi yi. It's a friggin Halloween dance, not a klan rally!

Old 04-23-2019, 02:50 PM
cml

180 posts, read 289,314 times
this is very wishful thinking cause it will never happen, if others parts of the country can it make it work, why can't we.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM

19,899 posts, read 20,619,739 times
Never happen.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,787,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Never happen.
True, true. Hardly anyone likes the way things are, but will fight to the death to prevent anything changing.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 PM

I too wish they would consolidate for a variety of reasons, among them efficiency. That said, there is one real legitimate reason that anyone in a well managed district would have to agree with. I live in district A and my budget and debt and debt service are low and is well managed. You live in district B, whose budget is high and the debt and deb service high, due to the borrowing the district has done. If districts are consolidated then I will be paying to bail you out for the poor job your district has done and at the same time having less of a voice in the running of the district.

This is similar to there being no TOH, TOB, TNH and consolidating under just Nassau County. Nice idea, just too many people with jobs that could be lost. Great idea, never happen.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:58 PM

19,899 posts, read 20,619,739 times
Definitely too many hands in the cookie jar to allow this happen. That's the bottom line.
Greedy buttholes who only care about themselves. They keep taking without a care in the world thinking everything will always be alright. Maybe one day it wont.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,301,575 times
Quote:
I too wish they would consolidate for a variety of reasons, among them efficiency. That said, there is one real legitimate reason that anyone in a well managed district would have to agree with. I live in district A and my budget and debt and debt service are low and is well managed. You live in district B, whose budget is high and the debt and deb service high, due to the borrowing the district has done. If districts are consolidated then I will be paying to bail you out for the poor job your district has done and at the same time having less of a voice in the running of the district.

This is similar to there being no TOH, TOB, TNH and consolidating under just Nassau County. Nice idea, just too many people with jobs that could be lost. Great idea, never happen.
DING DING you nailed it. I’m building in a district with a huge tax base. And neighboring districts all have way higher rates. Why would I want to pay more so they can pay less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island