Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM

82 posts, read 189,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ There is no large expense to adding a hw coil. Never said there was. You obviously prefer hot air over baseboard heating, which is fine. But to add a hw coil to a duct system when you already have baseboard is just ridiculous. Doesnt make sense at all.

Thanks for playing...& hopefully the OP doesnt take your advice or worse ...use you as a contractor.
I will continue this conv. when the thread is moved to the approp. place.

No thanks, I've heard enough incompetence from you. Your responses say it all.

It's typical of those in construction that have a little experience and speak as though they know it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05
Az2Ny...your out of your mind. All the high end homes are still using hot water systems. You dont see the baseboard because they are installing radiant heat, which is beneath the floor.

And when did a hot water hydronic system become cheap? Its the most expensive system(next to a geo-thermal system) to install. A hot water system is the best efficent system to have in your home hands down. A piece of baseboard can radiate heat for up to 30 mins after the boiler has quit firing.

"Never start a gun fight when you don't have enough ammo"

Sorry, now I am done with you.

Last edited by Az2Ny; 07-12-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one is afraid of the fan motor burning out and starting a fire, what we are afraid of is the fan motor burning out and leaving us without heat in the poconos in the winter while we are here in new york...

at least baseboard is redundant ...
The baseboard heat (I think) you are refering to in Penna is electric, correct? The OP is talking about hot water baseboard which is entirely different.

I agrre with you though, in your situation, a part time home in the poconos is probably better equipped with the electric basebords. My parents have a heat pump system up there and it's borderline terrible, not right for the climate. The electrc baseboards are indivisualized to the rooms, so you only have to heat the ones you need.

With LIPA rates here though electric heat would murder you.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2Ny View Post
This is the best way to go and we have been installing this type of system for years in all of our middle to high end projects. It is far better than a forced hot air furnace system which produces very dry air. Adding a hot water coil to the air handler creates the same type of heat as baseboards do because the hot water in both systems is supplied by the boiler. The advantage is with the heat being supplied by the air handler is thats it's delivered faster and more evenly throuhout the house. Also the air is filtered at the unit or at the return grill depnding on which type of fitering you choose.
If you require additional moisture in the air during the heating season add the humidifier to the system.

If it fits in your budget it is 100% the way to go!
I'm a big fan of hot water radiators, baseboards sort of included. But thats my preference. Agree with you about the distance of placing furniture away from the wall.
With the coil in air handler system, where are the registers? I've never been a fan of heat coming out of the ceiling, where A/C registers typically are. I have that setup at work, and feel like I have a hot head, and cold feet.

Last edited by Buckthedog; 07-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2Ny View Post
Hydronic means the transfer of water to provide heating and cooling. Instead of letting the hot water run through baseboards the water runs through the heating coil (heat loop) at the air handler. The air is filtered and blown through the hot water coil to supply hot air. NOT HOT DRY FURNACE AIR!
Some people with health problems require more moisture in the air and add a humidifier to the unit. Baseboard does not have this option.
How is this less dry than furnace air? Is there a humidifier in the chain, or...?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
How is this less dry than furnace air? Is there a humidifier in the chain, or...?
Because it is NO different that air passing over a radiator or baseboard, its a gradual warming of the air. With a Forced hot air furnace (oil or gas) the temperature at the plenum is so extreme that any nature moisture in the air is evaporated.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Smart man. Thats why air conditioning registers should be high and heating supply devices low. But AssNy system is so great. :rolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I'm a big fan of hot water radiators, baseboards sort of included. But thats my preference. Agree with you about the distance of placing furniture away from the wall.
With the coil in air handler system, where are the registers? I've never been a fan of heat coming out of the ceiling, where A/C registers typically are. I have that setup at work, and feel like I have a hot head, and cold feet.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

29 posts, read 107,515 times
Well thanks for all the replies. In my case all my radiators were ripped out of the house for the demolition. Dont like the idea of base board taken up all the wall space. My contractor along with the plumber said the same thing. They are seeing a lot of this in high end homes. It is not forced air it does not come out a million degrees. It is a hot water system put in your A>C air handler and the fan helps distribute the air through out the house. Not anymore expensive than putting base board back in. My only concern is the comfort level. As others have stated Hot air coming from the ceiling might leave cold pockets. Thanks for the replies again.
Al

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I have that type of heat in the office. During the winter my legs and feet are always freezing. I stand up to warm up. The building was a complete gut, all new everything with 8'ceilings. I find myself setting the heat higher because the warm air keeps the thermostat warm. The closer one gets to the floor, the cooler it gets.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I have that type of heat in the office. During the winter my legs and feet are always freezing. I stand up to warm up. The building was a complete gut, all new everything with 8'ceilings. I find myself setting the heat higher because the warm air keeps the thermostat warm. The closer one gets to the floor, the cooler it gets.

I HATE this and agree with you. My 'office' is in an office trailer. The old trailer had seperate air conditioners in the wall and electric basebords around the room, it was archaic but worked rather well. The new trailer has combined heat/air conditioning in the ceiling, and my feet are like ice blocks too. I had a single electric baseboard installed by my desk, and on those REALLY cold days there's a space heater pointed at my feet.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Hey Rock, have to disagree with you abit. Most new high end homes have hydronic coils in a forced air system. The radiant floor heat is typically limited to the kitched and baths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island