Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 PM

8,803 posts, read 21,218,095 times

Advertisements

I miss the pizza, too. There is nothing like it here in California.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 PM

18 posts, read 32,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I miss the pizza, too. There is nothing like it here in California.

It's true... The pizza in NY is THE BEST and we have lived just about everywhere....

Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,463,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cedars View Post
It's true... The pizza in NY is THE BEST and we have lived just about everywhere....
Fair assessment. Best you can usually do is Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,767,176 times
We are from ireland and have livd on the Island for over 20 years. We almost left four years ago but then the real estate bubble burst and we felt we wouldnt be able to get what we wanted for the properties.

Now we are on the moving bandwagon again. We are both so fed up of the high cost, the constant anger and the rat race of Long Island. We seem to have no quality of life ; dh works 50 hours a week, I work from home so its ok, but still. We have no friends in our development, kids have no friends ; ok, partly our fault as they go to parochial school and do not ride the bus with the local kids, but after 6 years you would think they would have at least one friend. Nobody goes out in our development; everyone seems to be working and stuck inside on the off days.
Now we are looking again for small friendly town america. We would love to have a place that we do have to work, but can live also. I am so fed of cramming everything into the day and going to bed exausted.
The anger ; gosh, people are so angry here. Maybe its the heat, but this week I have had two customers demanding that continue servicing them or give them a refund. For about $200 a year, I am sorry but you do not own me.
I agree nowhere is perfect and everywhere will have its problems. But we are paying too much to live here to put up with the lifestyle it cannot provide for us anymore.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,983,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Fair assessment. Best you can usually do is Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.
Come on, that's not pizza - that's disgusting... Time, technology, whatever you want to call it - but we have 2 very reasonable options near me as NY transplants opened the run of the mill pizza places you would find in any strip mall on LI. Exact same pizza ovens, making their own sauce / dough, decent quality ingredients.

It's not award winning pizza by any stretch, but it's almost identical to 3/4 of the random places you would walk into and order a pie. It's that 1/4 group of the "best" LI pizza that can't be matched. Yet, it's worlds better then fast food / pre-packaged pizza. One of the 2 places makes a sicilian pie that we love.

Bread based foods have always historically been a huge hit on the transplant areas, but we have a kettle boiled wood block baked bagel place and an Italian transplant who has a bakery and bakes their own italian bread daily... Times are changing.

Now restaurants are another story altogether - there's a serious shortage of owner run places and it's dominated by chains still... which blows. But purely from a pizza perspective it's not like it was 5 years ago.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM

125 posts, read 251,908 times
I just moved to Az and absolutely love it despite the intense heat..Everyone is so friendly and it rubs off..Im a single mom in my early 40s with my 2 young boys and I was scared but Im so glad I moved off of LI...If you dont have family or a job holding you down in LI, try to leave if you can, life really is so much better....

Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM

208 posts, read 490,932 times
I want to leave its to crowded here i remember not to Long ago 1998 or so it was all woods
down my block now im a sandwitch with new homes surounding me

On top of that we have a house 1/2 mile away with 40 Illegals
but do they do anything about? NO

but they can put it on the News to make a Buck.
I suppose Farmingville Is the worst when it comes to Illegals
but agian Nothing is being done.

Then They Rally in patchogue for citizinship? Now thats funny

Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,816,696 times
where's all these angry people when we were at the beach today? Of course nobody's going to be smiling on a work day or getting stuck in traffic.

No I'm not happy about the rising taxes (my brother just got through telling me his San Diego taxes are 3300/yr. and it was based solely on his purchase price) but everything else I have no qualms about.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM

217 posts, read 571,735 times
Leaving New York/LI was the best decision I ever made. Going back to visit my family makes me cringe! However, I've finally been able to convince them to move, so my visit in 2 weeks will be my last. I couldn't be happier. My parents are a little nervous about their move but also very excited.

For those who care, they are moving to Charleston, SC.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:44 PM

18 posts, read 32,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are from ireland and have livd on the Island for over 20 years. We almost left four years ago but then the real estate bubble burst and we felt we wouldnt be able to get what we wanted for the properties.

Now we are on the moving bandwagon again. We are both so fed up of the high cost, the constant anger and the rat race of Long Island. We seem to have no quality of life ; dh works 50 hours a week, I work from home so its ok, but still. We have no friends in our development, kids have no friends ; ok, partly our fault as they go to parochial school and do not ride the bus with the local kids, but after 6 years you would think they would have at least one friend. Nobody goes out in our development; everyone seems to be working and stuck inside on the off days.
Now we are looking again for small friendly town america. We would love to have a place that we do have to work, but can live also. I am so fed of cramming everything into the day and going to bed exausted.
The anger ; gosh, people are so angry here. Maybe its the heat, but this week I have had two customers demanding that continue servicing them or give them a refund. For about $200 a year, I am sorry but you do not own me.
I agree nowhere is perfect and everywhere will have its problems. But we are paying too much to live here to put up with the lifestyle it cannot provide for us anymore.
I am so sorry that you have had to deal w/obnoxious people for 20 years. You must miss the laid back carefree, friendly attitude of your homeland. Move west if you can! The housing market is so affordable in the midwest since the auto industry crisis, yet our manicured surbarban neighborhoods are filled w/ happy kids that still ride their bikes to each others homes, play hop scotch and walk to the bus stop together everyday. Not too mention that perfect strangers will chat it up w/ you on a grocery line and "NOT THINK" you want something from them. Please understand that I am from NY and I think that there are some wonderful people and some of my closest friends. However, the popular negative attitude seems to get uglier when you leave and see that there are happy people w/ less pretention in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island