Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,793,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildalejrfan View Post
I love, love, love my DirecTV. We've had it since 1994 & I so don't miss Cablevision. There r way more HD channels than cable plus,
almost all over the channels on cablevision are in hd. if it isnt, then its the stations fault, not cvs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM

64 posts, read 135,080 times
Here's how to get truly FREE dtv that's also in HD reception ...

1 new result for free ota dtv

]HD Without Cable - Using a Simple Indoor Antenna | Cancel Cable ...
After Digital Switch, Basic TV Offers Cable Alternative · FREE HD and Digital Broadcasts – Leaf Indoor TV Antenna · Use Android To Find OTA DTV and HDTV ...
www.killthecablebill.com/hd-without-cable/?replytocom=140

Stop paying for tv when you and everyone can now get it for free over-the-air with an antenna. An outdoor roof antenna for those like me that are far from the nearest signal (rural) and a really good LEAF indoor antenna for those who live closer in (urban?). Real simple, the way tv is supposed to be and all without those ridiculous high-dollar bills. Kiss the bill goodbye. All thanks to this new digital broadcast signal ... tv's has never been better, not only is it free it's better quality because the signal is not compressed and therefore it's a clearer picture. Oh, and it's better still because we get more commercial free channels too - high quality travel/cooking/diy/gardening/yoga/bbc world news ... all kinds of subjects without commercial bombardments.

Last edited by suzanrush; 05-29-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Re: negotiating a fair price. The same principle applies regarding switching to the free ota (over-the-air) antenna DTV! Let your current billing company know that you are about to cut the cord and stop paying altogether ... the secret's out, no one needs to pay for tv at all. Not since 2/2008 when the switch to digital broadcasts phased out the old decrepit analog signal. Free tv never looked this great!
Good luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,078,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Ok I've seen all the threads on Optimum vs. Fios but Fios isn't offered in my area. Cablevision isn't horrible but my 1 year triple play deal of 99.99 is about to expire. I received the letter from Cablevision advising that the price is about to go up. Most people I know are pleased with Direct Tv. They are offering free HD for life, DVR's that record in one room and can be viewed in another. Free installation etc..

In addition they have NFL network and a lot of other channels and may throw in the NFL ticket.

I know there is a contract but If they are good I don't care.

I'm at least planning on keeping optimum voice and cable and still figure I'll come out ahead. I don't want to deal with verizon if it isn't the fios package.

My beef with optimum cable is slooooow programming guides and channel surfing.It also appears that the DTV pay per view is better.

I'm planning on making a call tomorrow but I would appreciate anyone else's input that has experience with both companies.
Here's the pluses and minuses:
First off if you tell cable you're leaving unless they re-up you, they will almost definitely give you the price again.
Cable:
Better internet,better signal strength(less possible outages),older equipment with slightly inferior menus and dvr's. Most of the time if you call, you'll get argumentative customer service reps.
Direct TV:
Firstly you must have a home that doesn't have trees significantly overhanging the house or reception might be an issue or you wont be able to get service at all. In times of bad weather or with leaves obstructing or snow-there is a chance that signal will be bad or lost. You have to realize that your reception is based on a dish and not a continuous group of wires. They do use better technology which allows for better dvr boxes and are slightly cheaper than cable depending on your level of service. Internet service will be slower.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,793,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanrush View Post
Here's how to get truly FREE dtv that's also in HD reception ...

1 new result for free ota dtv

]HD Without Cable - Using a Simple Indoor Antenna | Cancel Cable ...
After Digital Switch, Basic TV Offers Cable Alternative · FREE HD and Digital Broadcasts – Leaf Indoor TV Antenna · Use Android To Find OTA DTV and HDTV ...
www.killthecablebill.com/hd-without-cable/?replytocom=140

Stop paying for tv when you and everyone can now get it for free over-the-air with an antenna. An outdoor roof antenna for those like me that are far from the nearest signal (rural) and a really good LEAF indoor antenna for those who live closer in (urban?). Real simple, the way tv is supposed to be and all without those ridiculous high-dollar bills. Kiss the bill goodbye. All thanks to this new digital broadcast signal ... tv's has never been better, not only is it free it's better quality because the signal is not compressed and therefore it's a clearer picture. Oh, and it's better still because we get more commercial free channels too - high quality travel/cooking/diy/gardening/yoga/bbc world news ... all kinds of subjects without commercial bombardments.
huh? do you mean i can get all the movie channels like hbo, showtime, the movie channel, encore, skinamax, mtv, comedy channel, sci fi channel, amc, tnt, vh1, spike, channel 12 news, nickelodean, disney, tbs, e!, animal planet, tru tv, msg, yes, and how many other channels ALL FOR FREE?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 PM

65 posts, read 161,060 times
I absolutely LOVE the optimum customer service. I have had virtually no problems with the actual service, and the minimum problems I had long ago were resolved immediately and with very prompt, surteous treatment. I never lost reception due to bad weather (and I live by the water, with plenty of bad weather around). Additionally, I find that having a satalite dish is both unatractive and an invitation for issues. People I know who have a dish often complain of reception problems, etc. In terms of the program variety, I really only watch a few channels anyway. So, if that is a concern, my advice may not be the one that best addresses the issue.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM

No, I don't mean ... I'm saying that you don't need all those gobs of channels, they only encourage unconsciousness. Besides, how many channels can you watch at once? Personally, I can only watch one at a time and anyone who thinks they can watch several are either insane or not living in reality which is the same as being insane.
What I'm talking about is secret, that's why you don't know about it. I was getting 2 snow channels with rabbit ears before they switched to digital broadcasts, so that's why I happen to know about it. It's real simply and the masses have been duped into continuing to pay needlessly. I figure it this way, most people, especially where I live, can't get any tv unless they pay for a service, and Comcast led the charge with a nationwide misinformation campaign designed to keep you ignorant and paying. All I'm saying is that you now (since 2/2008; 3 + years now) have had a free option that most assume is just like the old analog days. And they are wrong. That's all, there's a free option that no one is talking about ... mostly because we only listen to what the mass media says, or what we hear on the boob tube. But what I'm saying is that you've been lied to, deceived, duped, manipulated into believing that you should ignore all the messages about HDTV. I was listening and I also know how to critically and independently think for myself, unlike the masses.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

You are welcome!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,767,608 times
My parents have DirecTV and they love it. We are looking to switch to DirecTV but my husband is adamant about keeping the internet service w/ Optimum because he doesnt want to lose his "@optonline.net"" email address that is linked to all his finance accounts and work emails...

FIOS isn't that great - in terms of Customer Service they are really lacking and watch out for that expiration period because once your introductory rate/package expires, your payment will be about double or triple what it was before.

Given all the above, I would recommend DirecTV. Once you cancel Cable, those reps will be calling your house and sending reps to your front door begging you to switch back (and thats the only way you will get a cheaper package than what you pay now...).

Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 AM

764 posts, read 1,545,882 times
If you tell them you are going to go to dsl and direct tv you might be able to get cablevision to put you onto the new $79 ultimate triple play . When my deal came up I called cablevision to drop my optimum voice and was put on the triple play for another 2 years.

If you do it right you can get them to put you on the ultimate triple play and actually get a cheaper bill.

The ultimate triple play includes boost plus (50 down and 8 up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island