Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times

Advertisements

Ok I've seen all the threads on Optimum vs. Fios but Fios isn't offered in my area. Cablevision isn't horrible but my 1 year triple play deal of 99.99 is about to expire. I received the letter from Cablevision advising that the price is about to go up. Most people I know are pleased with Direct Tv. They are offering free HD for life, DVR's that record in one room and can be viewed in another. Free installation etc..

In addition they have NFL network and a lot of other channels and may throw in the NFL ticket.

I know there is a contract but If they are good I don't care.

I'm at least planning on keeping optimum voice and cable and still figure I'll come out ahead. I don't want to deal with verizon if it isn't the fios package.

My beef with optimum cable is slooooow programming guides and channel surfing.It also appears that the DTV pay per view is better.

I'm planning on making a call tomorrow but I would appreciate anyone else's input that has experience with both companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
The people i know that have Direct TV love it, though most have it primarily for the NFL Ticket so they may be a bit biased.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Move to an area that FIOS is available.

Seriously.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM

31 posts, read 138,990 times
You mention the triple play from Cablevision, My experience has been that Direct TV has a great product, but does not have a comparable product to Cable Internet and Cable phone So while Direct TV might be cheaper then cable TV, you end up paying more for the others. Also, Cablevision does allow you to hook up TV's without boxes (albeit for lesser channels), with Direct TV you need a box for every TV.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooser11 View Post
You mention the triple play from Cablevision, My experience has been that Direct TV has a great product, but does not have a comparable product to Cable Internet and Cable phone So while Direct TV might be cheaper then cable TV, you end up paying more for the others. Also, Cablevision does allow you to hook up TV's without boxes (albeit for lesser channels), with Direct TV you need a box for every TV.
Make that a lot of lesser channels. Premium channels such as TVLand, USA, TBS, History channel, will not be able to be viewed by a TV without a box.

However, you do get your shopping channels and your spanish channels with no problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Threaten to disconnect and they'll extend your deal for another year.

I used to have satellite and my biggest complaint is that if it snows, rains, or is too windy, you can lose the signal. Nothing like getting to the end of a game or show and having your screen freeze on you and then, when it unfreezes, the show or game is over and you haven't a clue what happened.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 PM

29 posts, read 41,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Move to an area that FIOS is available.

Seriously.
That's the answer. The picture quality and the number of channels FIOS offers make CV look pathetic.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
We have had DirecTV for 12 years and love it.......no tax! Everything else is Fios and we are happy with that too.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 AM

5 posts, read 118,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandcitizen View Post
ok i've seen all the threads on optimum vs. Fios but fios isn't offered in my area. Cablevision isn't horrible but my 1 year triple play deal of 99.99 is about to expire. I received the letter from cablevision advising that the price is about to go up. Most people i know are pleased with direct tv. They are offering free hd for life, dvr's that record in one room and can be viewed in another. Free installation etc..

In addition they have nfl network and a lot of other channels and may throw in the nfl ticket.

I know there is a contract but if they are good i don't care.

I'm at least planning on keeping optimum voice and cable and still figure i'll come out ahead. I don't want to deal with verizon if it isn't the fios package.

My beef with optimum cable is slooooow programming guides and channel surfing.it also appears that the dtv pay per view is better.

I'm planning on making a call tomorrow but i would appreciate anyone else's input that has experience with both companies.

can you dial a friend!! I am going to put the heat oon cable vision! If you have a friend with fios... Have him/her order another cable box(5.99) per month, then order the fastest speed internet service from cable that you can afford,,,,,, then buy a sling-box..... Then follow instructions

Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Directv is an excellent value, no tax. Very straight up billing.

The HD movie channels are amazing quality. You will definitely be happy with directv. That kind of sucks that you don't have the choice of having fios. But you can also get internet thru directv as well (3rd party-verizon).

What I would do is, schedule the directv appointment. Then let Cablevision know about it and CV will make you an offer you can't refuse.... the ball is in your court at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island