Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 PM

147 posts, read 371,342 times

Advertisements

Summers, compared to most of the mid-atlantic, are relatively mild. This summer aside, it can get hot and muggy, but usually the temps stay in the mid 80s and into the 90s during the occasional heat wave. If you are coming from either the west coast or the south west, the humidity will be an adjustment. If you are coming from the south, it will be a relief. I personally find the weather to be great during the summer, I actually prefer it to the dry heat I experienced in eastern Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM

63 posts, read 164,021 times
yes it get hot, a/c is good choice and screens on open windows the norm but not netting

Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPC View Post
No, I'm not headed there.

I'm just trying to gauge whether there are just a few mosquitoes in summer, or a lot.

I am one of those people who always seems to get bitten if they are around

Do most people have window screens in LI ?
last year we didn't have problems with mosquitoes. this year, they're all over. my children have mosquito bumps all over their legs.
AC-last year we barely used it. this year, we have, it's been very hot.
window nets i do recommend.
AC-depends on what's your heat tolerance. i personally i try not to use the AC at all until one of mine starts complaining.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Window screens are very common on the East Coast of the US, not common in Europe, and I saw very few screens in a recent trip to the West Coast of the US.

Mosquitoes are relatively bad here compared many other parts of the US.

High humidity with temps in the 80's and 90's makes summer miserable. I wouldn't go without AC, although I did for much of my childhood.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Window screens are very common on the East Coast of the US, not common in Europe, and I saw very few screens in a recent trip to the West Coast of the US.

Mosquitoes are relatively bad here compared many other parts of the US.

High humidity with temps in the 80's and 90's makes summer miserable. I wouldn't go without AC, although I did for much of my childhood.
As for mosquitoes, I think it must depend on where you are on LI. I don't find mosquitoes to be a problem at all in my area of LI. Actually, one thing I like about LI is lack of horrible bugs compared to areas south (like Florida).

I agree that window screens are standard for homes and apartments on LI.

As for a/c, I would advise the OP to at the very least, have 1 window a/c unit for your bedroom for nights that are hot and humid during the summer.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As for mosquitoes, I think it must depend on where you are on LI. I don't find mosquitoes to be a problem at all in my area of LI. Actually, one thing I like about LI is lack of horrible bugs compared to areas south (like Florida).

I agree that window screens are standard for homes and apartments on LI.

As for a/c, I would advise the OP to at the very least, have 1 window a/c unit for your bedroom for nights that are hot and humid during the summer.
They can be pretty bad in Smithtown/Nesconset/Lake Ronkonkoma because you have the lake and a few other ponds in the area where they can breed in any standing water. If you go out at dusk where I live you may end up with a 3 or 4 bites in a few minutes.

Florida is very buggy. On the West coast, there are virtually no mosquitoes to be seen in any populated area I've visited, from LA to Vancouver BC.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They can be pretty bad in Smithtown/Nesconset/Lake Ronkonkoma because you have the lake and a few other ponds in the area where they can breed in any standing water. If you go out at dusk where I live you may end up with a 3 or 4 bites in a few minutes.

Florida is very buggy. On the West coast, there are virtually no mosquitoes to be seen in any populated area I've visited, from LA to Vancouver BC.
I experience this as well. That particular part of the evening is prime time for those damn things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island