Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,986 times

Advertisements

The Hungtington School Board Votes To Close Jack Abrams Intermediate School Because Of Violence - WPIX

Can it be THAT bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
There is a great deal of disagreement within the community about whether or not this was a good idea. I am a little skeptical that it may be a backhanded attempt to reduce overall district staff or claim a school building for exclusive use of administration.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I grew up in Huntington and I went to that school. The area has certainly not improved since then.

I can totally see the point of view of the parents who don't want their kids going there. The truth is, for MANY YEARS people have been opposed to sending their kids there, but it's only with the recent spate of violence including a shooting near the school during school hours that the issue has come to a head.

As far as the parents who are opposed to the school being closed, trust me if one of their kids took a bullet on the playground they would change their tune fast.

The Huntington school district did fine for many, many years with only 5 elementary schools, which is the current plan, and that was at the height of the baby boom. At one time there were 3 junior high schools. Now there is only 1 - that should tell you something about the enrollment there.

I wouldn't want my kids going to school there.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
There is a great deal of disagreement within the community about whether or not this was a good idea. I am a little skeptical that it may be a backhanded attempt to reduce overall district staff or claim a school building for exclusive use of administration.
From the news story:

Quote:
Suffolk County legislator, John Cooper, told PIX 11 News that between July 4 and July 13, four different events took place close to the school. In one incident, a teen was shot and killed. In the second, two other youths were shot. Two other people were stabbed in a third incident. Then, last week on July 11th, a 16-year-old girl was shot in the leg, after leaving a house party on Allison Court. The shooting took place just yards away from the Administrative offices of the Huntington School Board.
The place sounds like a war zone. I don't see how anyone could be skeptical ... unless maybe they think the school board has been "engineering" the violence to get their way? Sounds like THAT would make a great Law & Order episode: Tonight on L&O, school board members pay goons to shoot and stab residents near a school for their own nefarious reasons ...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
If crime in the surrounding community (not on school property itself) is a valid reason for closing a school, perhaps all the schools in Wyandanch and other crime plaqued communities should be closed.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
If crime in the surrounding community (not on school property itself) is a valid reason for closing a school, perhaps all the schools in Wyandanch and other crime plaqued communities should be closed.
I suppose the gun and knife crime explosion was too close for comfort to the school itself in the HS case.

While I have you "on here," would you answer my question in post #11 of the thread below? A RE agent's take on it would be welcome!

Why are so many houses on the market in Plainview?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
I haven't heard about a rash of shootings in any of those areas. Are there links to the articles? In HUntington we are literally talking about bullet holes in the side of the school.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
certainly challenges the many CDF posts that say K12 has no issues except sterotyping and judgemental attitude.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
What about the area south of Jericho turnpike that is South Hungtington...does anyone have any information about that area? Thanks.

West Hills borders South Huntington. We moved into the area a few years ago and right after we moved in, someone got killed a few doors down. I wanted to move immediately. We're still there. (It was a domestic violence case but it was unsettling to say the least!!)

Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
Default Not a "neighborhood" school

The school that was closed is not a neighborhood school, there are children from other areas bused in there - it's just how the district works. So for people to say that the district gave up on the community is just nonsense. People simply got sick and tired of the violence in the area surrounding the building - it is smack in the middle of all the so-called "bad" areas of Huntington Station.

The building does hold most of the administrative offices, but it is way too big even if all of them were in there, so, no, that was not the reason.

Staff in fact will be called back (those that were laid off during budget time may have a good chance at a job back) as many primary classes will now be hitting the 30 mark and the district is concerned about that. So some classes may actually have two teachers - don't know if that's going to be full-time or how they're working it.

This latest incident with the girl getting shot in the school parking lot made me change my mind. I had supported keeping kids in there beforehand, but not now. It's just been too much, too often lately.

South Huntington district has many of that population in their schools also, but none of their buildings are close to the bad neighborhoods. So once the kids are in school they are pretty safe, unless someone brings a weapon into the building I suppose.

All of Huntington needs to keep up the pressure on the town and the county to start dealing with this issue in a more heavy handed way. Too many years have gone by ignoring the growing problem.

All this being said, the district still gives a fantastic education!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: