U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 13,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As for your examples of "extreme white flight to the detriment of the community," I would say you can leave Valley Stream out of it and off your "bad area list" as well.

We are not "suffering" in Valley Stream. We are probably actually the FIRST successful multi-cultural community on Long Island. Successful in terms of: neighborhood aesthetics being kept to a high standard; QOL issues such as attendance in schools by outsiders, illegal apartments, day laborers loitering, graffiti, etc., being kept in check by Village government regulations which are enforced (which discourage certain types from living here); school performance (very high graduation rate and kids going to many prestigious colleges and winning national awards); socio-economics being solidly middle class; a variety of people from different races, religions, ethnicities, etc., getting along (not a large clump of one race, etc.); and more.

What too many LI'ers still don't understand is that while they are used to saying, "There goes the neighborhood!" and moving if "too many" blacks or hispanics move in, in other parts of the country there are middle-class suburbs that do not become the slums even though they are extremely mixed ... whites, asians, blacks, hispanics, etc. I am sure many LI'ers who transplanted to places like NC or TX know what I am talking about ... all of a sudden they are in their brand new home in their development and ***gasp*** OMG *** they see black kids playing outside of the house two doors down and hispanic kids across the street. Then when they get to know them and realize these are also FAMILIES with middle-class sensibilities, they relax a little. But they are scared at first because living on LI, when these types of people moved onto their block it meant "the neighborhood is CHANGING" so that meant they must move. I am not seeing it on my street in Valley Stream. We had 1 black family move in over 10 years ago. Nobody fled! That family is still here.

I think more and more people on LI who have actually noticed the world itself is changing, with more exposure to different races, cultures and people from different countries in the workforce and at colleges, are NOT finding that keeping their kids in an "all white" community and "all white" schools (with a few tokens thrown into the mix) is an asset for their kids when it comes to having a successful future in a world where one needs to be able to get along with and interact with all types of people. Growing up sheltered under a fallen piece of tree bark like a little white mushroom among only the same types of other little white mushrooms is not going to adequately prepare children for the 21st century world out there.

Finding a safe, pleasant, multi-ethnic, multi-racial and multi-cultural community like Valley Stream to raise your children in is an asset to people who actually pay attention to what is going on in the USA and the world these days. So, no, Valley Stream is not suffering at all.
I_Love_LI_but, I would add Dix Hills to the mix. It's multi-ethnic, multi-racial, multi-cultural and the key word is STABLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,094,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Does this view -- " ... the FIRST successful multi-cultural community on Long Island ... " -- of the Village of Valley Stream also extend to the Hamlet of North Valley Stream and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream?
Yes (although you already know I am partial to the Village), because the Village sets the standards.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
As for your examples of "extreme white flight to the detriment of the community," I would say you can leave Valley Stream out of it and off your "bad area list" as well.

We are not "suffering" in Valley Stream. We are probably actually the FIRST successful multi-cultural community on Long Island.

The ethnics of Valley Stream must come out only at certain times of the day because the only ethnics I've seen in Valley Stream are at Green Acres Mall or the town west of it. I think it's called Rosedale? Perhaps they live only in certain neighborhoods but the fact remains that Valley Stream is still a great looking town
The other day I was at the public library and there were plenty of different types of people around: white, black, asian kids; moms in typical american clothes, moms in clothing from India, moms in muslim type garb, etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Someone who is a snob with absolutely no reasoning behind it. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We took my mother-in-law out of Valley Stream because it was, in our estimation a rough area. She lived in a senior citizens' complex and I didn't like the level of old people she was associating with.
Seriously very tough, coarse woman. (It may sound funny but they were).
The mall terrified me and she enjoyed shopping and movies.
So you were "concerned" about her friends in the senior complex? What kind of trouble did you think they were going to lead your MIL into? Riots at the free concerts on the Village Green?

Thanks for the warning! I will be VERY CAREFUL when walking near the senior citizens' complex!

Quote:
Valley Stream along with Levittown, Lindenhurst, Massapequa and Baldwin is a major feeder town to Shirley and the Mastics. Same kind of mind set.
Hmmm. Now why would people DOWNGRADE from any of the above towns to move further out on the Island to an area with lower socioeconomics? As for the mindset, perhaps you actually have a problem with ITALIAN AMERICANS, as, besides the following quote of yours, many of your "feeder towns" have/had large Italian American populations.

Quote:
Do I care about the comment of an illiterate, obese woman who spent her days in a house coat screaming obsenities in the street ande bragging about her mob ties?.....
Quote:
As for the schools ....meh... VS borders on some very shady places to the west and there are no gates.
Graduation Statistics of the Class of 2008-09 in Valley Stream (all High Schools)

99.9% TOTAL GRADUATION RATE
94% of all graduates got REGENTS DIPLOMAS
61% of all graduates got ADVANCED REGENTS DIPLOMAS
96% of all graduates are ATTENDING COLLEGE

College Acceptance for Valley Stream's Class of 2010 include:

Harvard, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, Polytechnic Institute of NYU, University of Michigan, Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, Dartmouth, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Boston College, Univerity of Pennsylvania, Vassar College and Rice University among others.

You can save your "meh" for the time when both (a) any of your kids are accepted into a fine college like the above and (b) if you can actually afford to send them to college. SOME people, like many parents in Valley Stream, DO NOT desperately "bootstrap" themselves out of one community and spend every last dime trying to get into a community more expensive than they can really afford just for "show" (Shirley to Stony Brook, for example) because they actually CARE about having the money to give their kids a college education at a fine school instead of just having something they perceive to be snobbish about for themselves. How do you know your neighbors in SB don't refer to you as "the one who scraped herself out of Shirley and foisted herself on us"? Go ahead and play the "lady of the manor" but people can see through that in a heartbeat.

As for this thread, I guess you better truly save your "meh" and your scoffing since it looks like VS kids are WORLDS AHEAD of yours when it comes to being successful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15165147-post1.html

Looks like your kid COULDN'T TOUCH one of the above fine colleges that kids who graduated from Valley Stream are going to.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,936,359 times
Default Not for nothing

Quote:
"Not for Nothing".... a strange phrase that I had hoped to never hear again after I first heard it in Shirley.
Not for nothing

Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,052,174 times
[
Also you have the school districts. People with children do not want to live in areas with bad schools.
some places were built FOR the type of people that they continue to attract. Shirley and the Mastics are such a place.[/quote]

What type of people is that?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,172,056 times
The housing stock really isnt going to get that much newer. Where or how can it? You can build further out east, but thats filling up, and people would be too far for a reasonable commute into NYC. You can buy an existing home and demolish it, but thats cost prohibitive. People dont want a 50+ y/o home, but what choice do they have? You can always leave LI, but to stay in the NYMA you're going to deal with the same thing.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM

937 posts, read 1,653,592 times
No one has mentioned this yet but I have before and will do it again. Long Island's demographic began to change drastically during the 1970's when the Catholic Diocese (spelling?) began bringing refugees from Central America en maase because of military conflict in Nicaragua, Panama, etc. This was not challenged by the masses back then because it was "the church doing the right thing". 30+ years later, we can see what has transpired first-hand.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM

3,228 posts, read 3,802,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
No one has mentioned this yet but I have before and will do it again. Long Island's demographic began to change drastically during the 1970's when the Catholic Diocese (spelling?) began bringing refugees from Central America en maase because of military conflict in Nicaragua, Panama, etc. This was not challenged by the masses back then because it was "the church doing the right thing". 30+ years later, we can see what has transpired first-hand.
where, specifically, did these people end up?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

7,173 posts, read 18,565,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
The housing stock really isnt going to get that much newer. Where or how can it? You can build further out east, but thats filling up, and people would be too far for a reasonable commute into NYC. You can buy an existing home and demolish it, but thats cost prohibitive. People dont want a 50+ y/o home, but what choice do they have? You can always leave LI, but to stay in the NYMA you're going to deal with the same thing.
It's not a question of newer. Plenty of people are willing to pay top dollar for a 100+ year old brownstone or Victorian. The postwar tract home does not have that innate desirability. This is how an area like Garden City, despite being immediately next door to Hempstead, stays an upper-middle class area - it's housing was initially built for the upper-middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island