Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I have had a pistol license for 35 years. First in NYC and then later in Nassau County. I dont know how long it took years ago but it was months in NYC. All I can say is that dealing with Nassau County is so much better than going down to Police Plaze in NYC and dealing with those city employee robots that treated you like you were a criminal.

As bad as Nassau County may be, in terms of the wait to get a new license, its great for those who already have a license.

Remember to vote Republican in the upcoming election. Dems will take your gun rights away.
Oh yeah, those Nassau County repubs have been a boon to our freedoms! Didn't raise taxes either. Puh-leeze. Give it a rest. I'd give up my guns, knives, bats and underwear to get Kate and Co. out of Hempstead. Obstructionist imbeciles.

Nationally, who cares? Like either candidate or Congress is going to change the gun laws at all. Maybe a political football about assault weapons, but little else. It won't change NY in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are very few ranges that allow anything but a .22 rifle indoors so your limited to only shooting in outdoor ranges when they are open.

They also suck for a home defense weapon in close quarters. Any one can grab a long arm and leverage it out of your hand in a second.
What? The racking of a shotgun is the universal sound that says "get the fook out!" Potentially better than firing a handgun through the sheetrock into someplace you don't want it to go. Then again, if you hit what you aim at, no biggie. A shotgun with rock salt is a fun deterrent. That'll learn them!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
What? The racking of a shotgun is the universal sound that says "get the fook out!" Potentially better than firing a handgun through the sheetrock into someplace you don't want it to go. Then again, if you hit what you aim at, no biggie. A shotgun with rock salt is a fun deterrent. That'll learn them!
Ohh god, not that myth again.

Look, word to the wise. If you are pulling a firearm on someone you darn well better a) have the guts to pull the trigger, b) use lethal force, and c) understand the circumstances you are going to be in after you do.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Ohh god, not that myth again.

Look, word to the wise. If you are pulling a firearm on someone you darn well better a) have the guts to pull the trigger, b) use lethal force, and c) understand the circumstances you are going to be in after you do.
...it was a joke, dude...lighten up. Some of us know not to pull a gun we don't plan to use.

Every gun advocate thinks they are the only one who knows anything about guns. Just like every cop thinks they are the only ones who can shoot.

But, if you are going to pull a gun, even at home, have a good civil attorney so you don't end up supporting the burglar's family for the rest of their lives. Lethal force gets the job done but doesn't play well in NY courts of law. Still, I'll go with lethal force and deal with the repercussions later. Better than not being alive to deal with them.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
You would think but according to the experts we trained with the reality is most folks should not go walking through their home investigating a noise with a long arm.

Anyone hiding around a corner can leverage it out of your hand in a second.

Leverage isnt your friend.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM

192 posts, read 298,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I have had a pistol license for 35 years. First in NYC and then later in Nassau County. I dont know how long it took years ago but it was months in NYC. All I can say is that dealing with Nassau County is so much better than going down to Police Plaze in NYC and dealing with those city employee robots that treated you like you were a criminal.

As bad as Nassau County may be, in terms of the wait to get a new license, its great for those who already have a license.

Remember to vote Republican in the upcoming election. Dems will take your gun rights away.
2 things A-The second amendment calls for a well regulated control system, B-Gun control does not mean your guns will be taken away.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Even in other areas folks still make the mistake of trying to use a full size long gun for close quarters .

The first time in training you have someone grab the barrel by surprise and pop it right out of your hand you see why a long arm in doors is a big risk.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
2 things A-The second amendment calls for a well regulated control system, B-Gun control does not mean your guns will be taken away.
No, it doesn't.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Two clauses in that statement:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state

and

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The right of the people, like every other amendment, should not be infringed by onerous or subjective criteria. Laws like the Sullivan Act keeping law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm and "assault weapons bans" and magazine capacity limitations have both been proven to not carry any sort of weight with regard to crime, but subject the law abiding citizens from both acting in defense of the nation and defense of themselves.

To gun control, one need only compare the regulation enacted and put them to other amendments or constitutionally recognized protections. Perhaps "good cause" to get an abortion, limit to pre-1986 computers for internet, or wait 20 months before holding a demonstration. It is, quite simply, an erosion of rights.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Even in other areas folks still make the mistake of trying to use a full size long gun for close quarters .

The first time in training you have someone grab the barrel by surprise and pop it right out of your hand you see why a long arm in doors is a big risk.
Matter of opinion. Even the NRA does not endorse one over the other for home protection. If an intruder is close enough to get the barrel of your long gun, you're probably already in trouble and would not have your pistol unless you keep it under your pillow.

Personally, my neighbors are too close for me to shoot an overpowered bullet that could easily end up in their kitchen (including going right through an assailant). I personally saw a 9mm pass through 60yds of trees, ricochet off and shatter the back windshield of a pickup truck and end up passing through the kitchen screen door and lodge in the wall next to the refrigerator. That was on property with a 1 acre yard. Mine is 60x100.

Just my opinion, but for my money, a smaller barrel combat shotgun makes the most sense. Combination of stopping power, intimidation, versatility, price, legality.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM

192 posts, read 298,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No, it doesn't.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Two clauses in that statement:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state

and

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The right of the people, like every other amendment, should not be infringed by onerous or subjective criteria. Laws like the Sullivan Act keeping law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm and "assault weapons bans" and magazine capacity limitations have both been proven to not carry any sort of weight with regard to crime, but subject the law abiding citizens from both acting in defense of the nation and defense of themselves.

To gun control, one need only compare the regulation enacted and put them to other amendments or constitutionally recognized protections. Perhaps "good cause" to get an abortion, limit to pre-1986 computers for internet, or wait 20 months before holding a demonstration. It is, quite simply, an erosion of rights.
If not for gun control, any murderer, mentally ill person, or whoever can get a gun. Do you want that disaster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: