Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 PM

142 posts, read 264,277 times

Advertisements

People....it has nothing to do with talking on the phone. It really doesn't. It has EVERYTHING to do with bad drivers. Yes, I see people weave in and out of lanes, cut people off without knowing it, or not use turn signals....but guess what? Those people aren't on the phone.
I'm fearful of Long Island drivers in general...not just the ones on their phone.
I think if you can safely follow traffic laws while being on the phone, please...do so. The problem is 95% of people on Long Island CANT follow traffic laws and be courteous drivers...whether they are on the phone or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,943,488 times
Truth.

I was riding my motorcycle back home one day and I was going straight at an intersection. I stopped at my stop sign and some woman comes to hers (at my right) and barely pressed the brakes and proceeds to make a left right in front of me. I slam on my brakes and put my arms up like WTF and she just proceeds to look forward like I'm invisible.

Horrible drivers are EVERYWHERE, phone or not.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 AM

86 posts, read 192,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
Maybe someone can shed some light to this question? Hands free- its ok to be on the phone hands free so both hands are on the wheel right? Hence not holding the phone. Then why is ok for people to smoke- they have to use their hands, eat in the car- they have to use their hands. Lighting up in the car youre distracted for about the same amount of time to dial a number, one hand is taken off the wheel to hold the cigarette back and forth to your mouth, phone is held up to ear at all times. It just doesnt make sense to me.
Because people tend to ZONE OUT while on the phone and not while smoking. I think the law should cover all distracted driving...eating, not looking at the road, doing makeup etc. Generate more revenue for the state.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 PM

5,463 posts, read 7,041,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfd240 View Post
ny'ers are used to only driving with one hand... The other needs to be free to give people the finger
rotflmao

Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,593,689 times
Pure unbridled selfishness which says they are the only ones who matter, coupled with typical NY machismo/arrogance which makes people think they're better drivers than they are.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM

316 posts, read 986,586 times
Why do people still think it's ok to text and drive?

Because they haven't caused the 'wake up call' accident...

...yet.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM

19,590 posts, read 20,421,394 times
I like to knit while driving. Now that takes true skills!

So far, the thing that annoys me most is when people are texting at the red light, they aint payin' attention and sit there happily texting away until the sound of the horns proceeds to scare the living crap outa them, then they take off like a rocket to get ahead of the traffic so they can finish the text before they are disrupted again.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

86 posts, read 192,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I like to knit while driving. Now that takes true skills!

So far, the thing that annoys me most is when people are texting at the red light, they aint payin' attention and sit there happily texting away until the sound of the horns proceeds to scare the living crap outa them, then they take off like a rocket to get ahead of the traffic so they can finish the text before they are disrupted again.

I see it everyday...we should be able to take a picture and mail it newsrag!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,796,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Why do people still think it's ok to text and drive?

Because they haven't caused the 'wake up call' accident...

...yet.

that pretty much sums it up. I used to tailgate until... damn newbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island