Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

For any of you familiar with seaside towns in Mass, is there a comparable town on the shores of long island to newburyport, MA? My boyfriend and I are looking to live near the water but access to train and also a cool town. Any suggestions? I sense that huntington village, cold spring harbor, and oyster bay are up our alley but not really sure if there are other ideas. I will need to commute to Farmingdale and am willing to commute 30-45 minutes max. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM

176 posts, read 474,620 times
hello there. Ijust moved to LI from Waltham MA. and I had some firends who lived in newburryport. Nice town, I would say somewhere in the northshore....huntington village (not as nice as Newberryport), it is likely that oyster bay and or northport would be more like it but expect no farmland like in newburryport. Kings point maybe another option but not sure how the commute is from farmingdale. I chose to live in Babylon Village, it is a small (much smaller than newburryport) beachy, quaint town with some action but nothing like the north shore places and It is only about 20 minutes from farmingdale (my friend lives there) I like babylon village. Places further out east are also very nice....like sayville but they are further for your commute. welcome!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

mimosaesque, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosaesque View Post
For any of you familiar with seaside towns in Mass, is there a comparable town on the shores of long island to newburyport, MA? My boyfriend and I are looking to live near the water but access to train and also a cool town. Any suggestions? I sense that huntington village, cold spring harbor, and oyster bay are up our alley but not really sure if there are other ideas. I will need to commute to Farmingdale and am willing to commute 30-45 minutes max. THANKS!!
Newburyport is a small city in Massachusetts of about 10 square miles. All the communities you mentioned are much smaller and are just villages and hamlets. In other words they are like communities within a larger town (Towns of Oyster Bay and Huntington).

The communities you mentioned, Huntington Village, Oyster Bay, and Cold Spring Harbor are all fine by my book. You might also want to check out Northport and even Centerport.

I live on the South Shore in Babylon Village, which has a straight run to Farmingdale on NY route 109. The village is nice but much of the South Shore is much more built up than you are probably used to in the Boston burbs. So I would definetely recommend checking out first the North Shore parts of Oyster Bay and Huntington. Maybe even Smithtown (but a longer commute).

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM

hey LI native, I am looking for a house in Babylon Village, any ideas? there is slim pickings out there, if you keep abreast of the RE market, have you seen this kind of inventory and prices over the years, meaning is this kind of normal for a quality/value ratio....stuff out there is kind of dumpy!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
It's next to impossible to compare. Some of the towns mentioned are really nice towns and have their own special charms, but they are NEW YORK (and Long Island for that matter). You absolutely will not get that "New Englandy" charm or feel (or piney/briney smell) from any of them. I lived in Boston, Brighton, parts of Maine and nothing on Long Island for me is really comparable unless you are directly on the water or in a fishing type village like Point Lookout or others out east, which are extremely pricey (and remote).

I'm not trying to be negative, I just feel that unless you are way out east or right on the water, there aren't any valid comparisons to Massachusettes port towns.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM

thank you all for your suggestions. very helpful! i just need to get down there already and start looking. I was originally thinking Brooklyn but i don't think i can stand the commute. we live in Boston now and thought we still wanted city living but have reconsidered and are looking for a lovely beach house/town. any and all suggestions welcome! thank you!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

huntington village area would be best.....i think you would find babylon a bit suffocating as it is a bit smaller and more mature a town (think early thirty somethings with a kid or more) or older. plus it is pretty small. There is more action in huntington and it is a larger town....nothing here is cheap.....period.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM

we are mid 30s ourselves (me actually quickly heading towards late 30s but my partner is still in his mid 30's). thanks all!!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:10 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
For a New England look and feel I would check out the places already named but also Port Jefferson Village. So New England with pretty views of the harbor, nice shops and restaurants.

I grew up in Oyster Bay and it has gotten bigger and as for myself, lost some of it's character. Still it remains a pretty little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island