Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times

Advertisements

I suppose in the LIRR's eyes she was doing her job...just like when a cop pulls you over for doing 56 in a 55 mph speed limit. He's doing his job, isn't he? However, even police brass will not think its inappropriate for the officer to just issue you a warning. So why can't the LIRR allow their conductors some latitude? Hmmm..could it be they just aren't that smart?

And please stop saying things like I would be the "first on this board". Do you see me starting threads on teachers or public workers? I rarely even comment about their inflated salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,652 times
MTA is pretty much bankrupt. They run at a huge deficit right now. I'd rather see them collect a fare from every rider than raise them more than they already are going to.

the speeding ticket analogy is a bad one. there are gradations in speeding tickets - On the train, you have a ticket or you don't. If you don't, you need to buy another one. It's simple.

I see lots of people scamming the LIRR - trying to give monthly tickets to spouses and getting busted, etc. How would this conductor who "knows" you know for sure you didn't give the ticket to somebody else? Or not buy one that month? They probably punch 1200-1500 tickets every morning... minimum. We might not be as 'special" to them as we think we are. They have a system... let them do their jobs.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
The bigger issue for conductors who let people slide is that there are MTA spotters on the train, and a conductor can be written up if they let people slide. I don't consider it being a hard ass, the bottom line is you left your ticket so they have a responsibility to collect a fare. You could have given your ticket to a friend that day on the train and claimed you forgot it. There is too much potential for fraud here and the onus is on the rider to remember his ticket, not the collector to cut you a break. A few times I've gotten to the train station and realized I left the ticket and I have gone home to get it.

That being said, you can write the LIRR for a one time courtesy refund explaining you forgot your ticket and are a monthly rider.

I get more peeved on crowded rush hour trains when the collector doesn't make it through the car to check for tickets. The pay per riders get a free ride whereas the monthly folks have already paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island