Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,180,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
1 Fairfield Manor Dr, Manorville, NY 11949 MLS# 2315502 - Zillow

Sold in 2001 for 335K
Sold in 2004 for 410K

Now priced at 1.5 MILLION.

Seriously, who in their right mind would list that? They should require a psych eval to buy it.
Why don't you call up the realtor and ask them what the story is? If the previous selling prices are true, I lean towards greedy sellers, NOT towards the realtor talking them into asking that whopping price. Sometimes realtors will take the listing and price it too high at the insistence of the seller and hope that once the seller gets no offers, the seller will realize that the house should be repriced lower. However, I do agree with you that this is one of the CRAZIEST jumps in price I've ever heard of ...

Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,709,441 times
without knowing all of the details, is it possible the first two prices (335k and 410k) were for the land and then the house was built later?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 PM

80 posts, read 211,794 times
PS. Never buy in Manhasset & Great Neck...

Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It appears, ignorance is bliss...
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,748,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmsinger View Post

Really? Why not? If I could afford it I'd buy in Munsey Park or Plandome. I love the homes in those parts of the Manhasset area. They have a diverse housing stock and unique details on the outside facade of the homes that you don't find in your typical mass development homes in Nassau.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I also have lost my taste for Roslyn after finding out that their union public school teacher contract states that they "always must be among the top 3 highest paid school districts." What a crock. It's a shame because there are some older smaller homes I think are really nice over there.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,024,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

LOL good question - there should be tons of happy people out there

Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM

80 posts, read 211,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Really? Why not? If I could afford it I'd buy in Munsey Park or Plandome. I love the homes in those parts of the Manhasset area. They have a diverse housing stock and unique details on the outside facade of the homes that you don't find in your typical mass development homes in Nassau.
The reason why I say so is because the assessed values of the homes and the asking prices are simply inflated in my humble & completely honest opinion.

Even I was a billionaire I would never ever spend my money on a house in Manhasset or Great Neck unless it is for schools or if I find a fair deal. The schools and community is great but the prices are simply not realistic or fair.

You have people selling you homes with small lot sizes compared to their big asking prices. The math just doesn't add up. Better to take your money in Roslyn, Brookville, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Jericho, Syosset, Muttontown & Sands Point.

Roslyn is a great neighborhood but the taxes may put some people off. However in terms of what you get - it is a good deal as long as you have a good amount of money to spend. Roslyn is also getting more diverse. The school ethics of pay - can be questionable however. Taxes can also be questionable - adding to your expenses.

Syosset in my opinion is also quite a deal. You have great demographics with impressive surrounding areas. Excellent schools and educated families in the area. The prices are very middle-class yet the town is more upper-middle class.

Jericho - same like syosset.

Brookville, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Muttontown, & Sands Point - As long as you have money - it's a good buy. Large lot size, peaceful, serene and safe.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The reason why I say so is because the assessed values of the homes and the asking prices are simply inflated in my humble & completely honest opinion.

Even I was a billionaire I would never ever spend my money on a house in Manhasset or Great Neck unless it is for schools or if I find a fair deal. The schools and community is great but the prices are simply not realistic or fair.

You have people selling you homes with small lot sizes compared to their big asking prices. The math just doesn't add up. Better to take your money in Roslyn, Brookville, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Jericho, Syosset, Muttontown & Sands Point.

Roslyn is a great neighborhood but the taxes may put some people off. However in terms of what you get - it is a good deal as long as you have a good amount of money to spend. Roslyn is also getting more diverse. The school ethics of pay - can be questionable however. Taxes can also be questionable - adding to your expenses.

Syosset in my opinion is also quite a deal. You have great demographics with impressive surrounding areas. Excellent schools and educated families in the area. The prices are very middle-class yet the town is more upper-middle class.

Jericho - same like syosset.

Brookville, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Muttontown, & Sands Point - As long as you have money - it's a good buy. Large lot size, peaceful, serene and safe.
Amend that to say "as long as you are a multimillionaire" ... most of us on C-D aren't and we might as well be thinking of moving to the Moon or Mars in the context of your statement.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 PM

149 posts, read 343,884 times
6% is shared between the listing agent and their broker and the selling agent and their broker unless the listing agent gets the sale by themselves then they get to split the 6% with their broker (if they are not the broker themselves) there is alot of time put into researching homes that meet the buyers criteria, showing them homes, bargaining and phones calls, paperwork and lets not forget the cost of advertisment via newspaper, mailings and websites. It can take upto 3 months to close and get paid. BTW 4% is more the norm...............

Before you bash me.......I am NOT a realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island