Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 PM

257 posts, read 751,137 times

Advertisements

I would also recommend Wantagh and Bellmore. I live in Wantagh and highly recommend it. Here are a few listings in that price point for both towns.
MLSLI.com
MLSLI.com
MLSLI.com
MLSLI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default MLSLI.com

Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,189 times
Default Oceanside vs. RVC

Plus side RVC - RVC has the name, trendiness and the great HS. Certain parts Harvad, Old Canterbury etc. are extremely nice. RVC has more college educated catholics. RVC has more friendly neighbors. RVC has cheaper electricity. RVC has train line that has more trains off peak and a few minutes quicker

Downside - RVC has high property taxes. RVC equivalent homes are priced 300K higher, RVC train parking is $150 a year vs. $4 bucks a year in O-side RVC pre-K and elementary schools are no better than Oceanside. RVC has a lot of section 8 housing and shady areas by the side towards Malverne and near church and train that brings a lot of hoodlums to town which requires a large police presence that town has to fund. RVC you can't park on street at night and since some houses are small a big problem if you have older kids at home with cars. So many bars and restaurants and hardly any food or clothing stores.

Plus side Oceanside - Cheaper homes and cheaper taxes. For example 60 x 100 house in O-side $8,200 vs. $16,200 in RVC. Equivalent homes cheaper by 300K can save you $1,500 a month with smaller mortgage payment. Exception Kindergarten program better than RVC. School 8 elementary is great. Heck CEO of walt disney went there. Nearer to beach and cheap train station parking with lots of spots. Much more shopping Five Supermmarkets, four department stores. People in RVC have to trek to Oceanside to do clothes shopping, christmas shopping etc.

Downside. - Large non practicing jewish population that is jappy and unfriendly, more blue collar white trashy people mixed in. Lots of stuck up richer jewish people mixed in with blue collar catholic people so it is a tale of two towns. More strip mals and commerical properties. No real night life, restaurants and bars or movie theaters. Have to go to Long Beach or RVC.

Bottom line RVC vs. O-side is like comparing a bmw to a chevy. Both will do the same thing, one is more uppidity one is cheaper. But both get the job down,.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
My wife desperately wants me to buy this house we both love but the taxes are 18k and probably won't be getting any better

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM

426 posts, read 960,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
My wife desperately wants me to buy this house we both love but the taxes are 18k and probably won't be getting any better
I am sorry to tell you but you will get a lot more property and a lot more for your money in Suffok county than you will in Nassau.....even western suffolk in areas that you mentioned like commack, northport, or even melville....

Perhaps you should reconsider Northport and Commack.....if you lived in Commack your wife could take the deer park train and its only about an hour or so....not too bad.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
my wife works in nassau (just a few hrs a week), I work in nyc. Northport would be the furthest I would even consider. In all likelihood I will just pay a premium for sea cliff or deal with rvc taxes. I just don't think i can trek to suffolk each day.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
O'Side isn't too bad.
I think Oceanside isn't as great as in its "glory days" of the 80's but it's still alright.
I'd also look at Wantagh & Bellmore.
I live in Oceanside, we had glory days? I heard tales of the 1950s/1960a when bands played at nathans and the malt shops were crowded.

How long ago are Oceanside the glory days. I recall back in the 1980's I drove through Oceanside on way to Long Beach or Clubs in Island park and just remember a big dump and a Pergaments. Nothing resembling glory days.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This construction/contractor guy I know was the person who referred to O'side as "Mastic West". He said this with a touch of sarcasm, but was serious in our conversation as to how O'side has changed dramatically in a short period of time and he is not happy with the direction it is going. He lives in the Madison area, which is considered to be one of the nicer/fancier sections, and actually put his house up for sale recently because he is so disgusted. I've said it before, O'side is definitely not the worst place to live, it's still "ok" for now. It's in this gray area right now, things are changing and not for the better, and it could go either way. That is why I would hold off buying there for now. The next few years will tell whether it stabilizes or really goes down hill. RVC is the better choice. Both towns are similar, with RVC having the edge over O'side for a number of different reasons. RVC is a stable community, it has remained basically the same for as long as I can remember. No better, no worse, just the same.
Another one, what is changing in Oceanside? Only thing I noticed is recently we get non-jewish college educated couples moving in who were priced out of RVC. That is a different demographic fore sure. Some of them trade up to RCV, but living in O-side in their first home gets them near RVC and when they move it is still same RVC rec center, dentists, doctors, stores etc and can keep in touch with old o-side people.

I originally moved to o-side as I wanted RVC. Now I have more than enough money to afford RVC. But homes I like are 600K more than my home and an extra 12k in taxes. I want to move to RVC which equivalent homes are a lot more and trade up to bigger home. I just can't handle that anchor around my neck. Right now I am mortgage free and property taxes are $700 a month. I can go on vacations, dinners, buy cars, save for retirement, kids colleges and weddings etc. I wonder now in my 40's is it worth trading up and taking that ball and chain of mortgage and RE taxes for the next 30 years. I am on fence original plan of live in O-side a few years and then move to RVC

Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I just save a bunch of money on my car insurance so I'm buying a 650k house in RVC with 15k a year in taxes. Good times indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island