Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM

176 posts, read 473,703 times

Advertisements

So I have been in the market for a home in the western Suffolk area (south shore) for about 4-5 months now. No the inventory is not particularly exciting and the prices are still high, though I can see some sellers are starting to Smell What the Rock is cooking (the rock in this case being this crooked economy) I was just wondering how many of you 'lurkers' here are actually gearing up to buy as follows

a) WILL buy within 3 month or already have an accepted contract
b) Looking to buy in 3-6 months, have made some offers
c) Looking to buy but I have made no offers, maybe buying in 6+ months.
d) I am not buying a thing until I see the whites of the sellers eyes, homes come down another 20% and the 30 year mortgage rate is under 4%.

Just looking for some healthy discussion too and if some of you can give some general feedback on their specific situation.

Last edited by ocabrera7; 08-25-2010 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,988,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
So I have been in the market for a home in the western Suffolk area (south shore) for about 4-5 months now. No the inventory is not particularly exciting and the prices are still high, though I can see some sellers are starting to Smell What the Rock is cocking (the rock in this case being this crooked economy) I was just wondering how many of you 'lurkers' here are actually gearing up to buy as follows

d) I am not buying a thing until I see the whites of the sellers eyes, homes come down another 20% and the 30 year mortgage rate is under 4%.

Just looking for some healthy discussion too and if some of you can give some general feedback on their specific situation.
I think you may wait a long time for those mortgage rates. Not an expert on this part of the equation but how can they go any lower?

My first interest is to sell my current place, then buy. I know we'll take a loss from what I bought at (2006) but we should still walk away with some cash from the deal as we've paid down the mortgage substantially. My wife and I have perfect credit and our income qualifies use for a loan something in the range of 450-550 depending on who ask.

I won't be looking to spend more than 450 or so including our down payment, so my goal will be to get the best house I can for that amount. I will be in no rush. I'll rent for a year if I have to.

I think it is an okay time to buy if you see a house you can a) afford easily for the long term. b) deal with living in for the next 20 years if the market moves down and stays there.

Right now is not the time to be looking for a house to move on from in 5 years or investment properties (unless you're buying nightmares and completely refurbishing them), as these interest rates are keeping prices up, and when they rise, you will not be getting back what you paid.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,417,947 times
Quote:
So I have been in the market for a home in the western Suffolk area (south shore) for about 4-5 months now. No the inventory is not particularly exciting and the prices are still high, though I can see some sellers are starting to Smell What the Rock is cocking (the rock in this case being this crooked economy) I was just wondering how many of you 'lurkers' here are actually gearing up to buy as follows

This is why spelling counts.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,994,626 times
Quote:

You won't have to wait too long for this - just look and see what the 10 yr T-Note did yesterday. BTW, I got quoted an under 4 rate last week - though it only held for 1 day, it won't be long before it comes back to the sub 4 number again. As for home prices - they will continue to come down, the housing market is loaded with inventory - some really need to sell, some are seeing what the market will bear and some are on the fence about really selling even if they were to receive an offer.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
This is why spelling counts.
^^ spelling corrected...after all it is a family show!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,737,785 times
I just had a buyer who got a 3.75% 10 year arm.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM

where do you live D-man....?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,994,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I just had a buyer who got a 3.75% 10 year arm.
Tom - get back to us when you have a buyer with 30 year money costing less than 4%. I don't expect to wait to long - the way the 10yr is acting, it will be sooner, rather than later. The fear in the marketplace will drive yields lower than FED actions alone.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Tom - get back to us when you have a buyer with 30 year money costing less than 4%. I don't expect to wait to long - the way the 10yr is acting, it will be sooner, rather than later. The fear in the marketplace will drive yields lower than FED actions alone.
I agree that it is comming. But there is an absolute floor of 0%. The ten year is already below 2.5. This plan worked so well for Japan, why shouldn't it work here too?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Please stay on topic if you could. Start another thread on mtg rates if you would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island