Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Even kids who have their parents behind them sometimes need to speak to an adult other than their parent. There may be issues or things they don't want to discuss with their parent and need input from a different adult.

Trust me, your kids didn't and don't tell you everything. No kid does. Be glad the schools have guidance counselors, social workers, or psychologists available for the kids to turn to.

BTW, the guidance counselors do a lot more than "talk" to the kids as do the social workers and psychologists.
Agreed. Lucky there was one in my school, as they helped getting the ball rolling in removing me from a very tramatic household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Sorry, but we all know that if a child is having a problem in any private/parochial school, they get kicked out and sent right back to the public school.
There's your reason why there isn't a psychologist in your Catholic elementary school!
Actually, the school districts provide school psychologists and social workers to all the parochial schools. The school districts are required by state law to provide these services to all students, whether or not they attend public school.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
I think Tom Cruise might be right about psychology after all...what a big waste of money and resources just so the "feel good" profession can make a living.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think Tom Cruise might be right about psychology after all...what a big waste of money and resources just so the "feel good" profession can make a living.
Thanks for reminding me. Behavior Intervention Plans are also a big part of the job. Using research-based techniques for specific behavioral problems leads to a more relaxed classroom where everyone gets to learn and is saved from emotional acting out by individual students.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
School psych in the house.
The bulk of the work of a school psych is compliance issues around special education students. We are responsible for testing and help place kids in special ed programs, and every three years we are obligated to test again, or at minimum, do a file review. We also handle manifestation determination meetings, which are meant to address suspensions/expulsions for special ed students.
So, testing, report writing, and endless meetings.
The hopeful part of it is finding the right interventions to help students learn.
That said, one school psych to one school site would be a luxury.
Where are you located? I can tell it is not Long Island ...

Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where are you located? I can tell it is not Long Island ...
CA, where three schools to one is considered the norm.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
CA, where three schools to one is considered the norm.
Well, I know California is "the Golden State," but when it comes to being a public employee, there is no more GOLDEN and splendid a place than to be a "professional" (and I use the term loosely when it comes to those who call themselves professionals yet are in labor unions) in the public schools of Long Island because that situation certainly wouldn't fly here!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
School psych in the house.
The bulk of the work of a school psych is compliance issues around special education students. We are responsible for testing and help place kids in special ed programs, and every three years we are obligated to test again, or at minimum, do a file review. We also handle manifestation determination meetings, which are meant to address suspensions/expulsions for special ed students.
So, testing, report writing, and endless meetings.
The hopeful part of it is finding the right interventions to help students learn.
That said, one school psych to one school site would be a luxury.
I am not against having a psychologists in a school district but what you describe sounds more like a system interested in the paperwork rather than curing the problem. Do those things you describe make a difference? What would you change if you had your choice.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 AM

213 posts, read 703,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not against having a psychologists in a school district but what you describe sounds more like a system interested in the paperwork rather than curing the problem. Do those things you describe make a difference? What would you change if you had your choice.

The compliance issues are mandated by the states so they (the states) should fund them. There are too many unfunded mandates that have large price tags that are passed onto local taxpayers.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
The compliance issues are mandated by the states so they (the states) should fund them. There are too many unfunded mandates that have large price tags that are passed onto local taxpayers.
Great point! +5!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island