Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM

13 posts, read 32,644 times

Advertisements

On Friday morning, we woke up the drivers side window of my husband's car completely smashed in.. nothing taken.

This morning, my lawn ornaments were gone and 2 lawn ornaments from someplace else were there in place. We rode around the area.. can't find mine..

We called the police for both situations.

We only moved here 3 months ago.. what the hell? I'm pretty freaked out.

Is this common? What can we do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris931 View Post
On Friday morning, we woke up the drivers side window of my husband's car completely smashed in.. nothing taken.

This morning, my lawn ornaments were gone and 2 lawn ornaments from someplace else were there in place. We rode around the area.. can't find mine..

The car window being smashed is very unusual around Levittown. I have not heard of this happening elsewhere in the town. Lawn ornaments "borrowed" - yes, I have heard of this. By any chance were you left with a dog statue? My friend had 2 statues taken a few weeks ago.

Try not to be freaked out. It sounds as if the switched lawn ornaments is just kids, but the car vandalism is really unfortunate because of the expense. The police do need to know of these incidents, they track them and if there are others, they just might catch the bad guys/kids.

There is a Community Watch group in place. There were several burglaries early in 2009, so the group was created in an effort to communicate information (via email) and to keep an eye out for strange cars and unusual activity. Because of this, the thieves were caught and prosecuted. So the group does work. They chose Levittown because they were able to jump on the parkway to get away quickly.

If you would like to receive the emails, send me a DM. Just let me know which block you live on so you can go on the correct distribution list.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris931 View Post

Well you're not that far from Hempstead, it could be someone from there, it's only a couple of towns away. It could also be someone from Hicksville, that town is changing you know. Finally, it could be one of the illegals fron New Cassel or Farmingdale.

These are the responses I hear when petty crimes happen in Garden City or Merrick. So I guess the people in those towns are expanding their criminal activity.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Well you're not that far from Hempstead, it could be someone from there, it's only a couple of towns away. It could also be someone from Hicksville, that town is changing you know. Finally, it could be one of the illegals fron New Cassel or Farmingdale.

These are the responses I hear when petty crimes happen in Garden City or Merrick. So I guess the people in those towns are expanding their criminal activity.
Are you serious?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
Are you serious?

Yes, recently I was reading a thread where posters said Merrick is unsafe because it's next to Freeport and has easy access to the parkway. Never once did I read that the crimes in Merrick may be coming from other residents of Merrick. So part of what I wrote was sarcasm but it was to point out the bad rep certain towns get for having low income people living there. People should realize crime is random and what happened is probably a one time thing.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
Are you serious?

Check out Haywood16 comment in the most recent "Wantagh thread." He was "dead" serious. That's just one of many.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 AM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
oh, ok, just making sure. I dont know everyone here yet, so I cant always tell when someone's being sarcastic or serious.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
I have lived in Levittown for almost 6 years and have not seen any crime at all. It is very unusual for around here. It is very safe and family friendly.

To me it sounds like teenagers. I thought Wantagh was having a crime spree of car windows being smashed in. Perhaps they are now moving into Levittown. I live right over the Levittown/Wantagh border. Not sure where you are in Levittown.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I live right over the Levittown/Wantagh border.
Huh?

What happened to North Wantagh?

The Hamlet of Levittown is separated from the Hamlet of Wantagh by the Hamlet of North Wantagh.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
Unfortunately, the car windows being smashed is common in many parts of Long Island. I doubt if illegals from Hempstead were involved as someone suggested ( people seem to think that almost crime should have illegals as the first suspect!). Its probably high school kids / recently graduated kids. I recently read about the car break-ins in Wantagh and a kid from Cold Spring Harbor caught for another car break-in in Huntington.

Being close to Parkways does help burglars get away faster. I know its also quoted as an issue with Jericho, since the homes in Jericho are fairly close to the LIE and northern state. But Jericho neighborhoods has the local neighborhood watch, so being a part of that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island