Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
mosquitoes will eat you alive... every damned day we take the kids out one of them has at least 2 bites and we have to go out in long sleeves and pants just to avoid it. The spraying did jack.

I jumped outside to setup their makeshift kiddie pool for a mere minute and got one on my leg and it followed me inside, 1 bite. Then as I was outside taking it back in, also in about a minute, I got bit, 3 times... my leg is real attractive, let me tell you. I have marks from the entire summer.

The tiki torch is useless. Are 2 year olds even ok with OFF or DEET?
use SKIN SO SOFT ..bugs hate it and it is safe for the 2 year olds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
DEET is dangerous to developing little bodies.

This is going to sound weird but: I've neighbors in VT who either 1) wear a garlic clove around their neck (deters skeeters, black flies and vampires) 2) Keep cloves of garlic in their shoes. Personally, I enjoy eating garlic soup the night before I know I will spend a lot of time outdoors.

My former neighbor (on LI) was an organic lawn service person way before going green was the in thing. He would apply garlic oil spray to my yard and it made a huge difference. Granted, the yard smelled like a pizzeria for a little while, but it was worth it.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
use SKIN SO SOFT ..bugs hate it and it is safe for the 2 year olds
Black flies & mosquitoes weren't deterred from biting me when I used SSS. I believe it depends on the individual's body chemistry,

Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
the skeeters are bad here in Northern Virginia as well. Maybe I should check the pet store to see if I can buy me some bats. Zappers verbotin in this 'hood. Spray ain't working. I'm using techniques I learned in the rain forest: wear long everything.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:25 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,168 times
i use arbonne aromassentials, it contains lemon. the nights i put it on my kids they don't get bitten. the nights i forget to put it on them, they get butchered by mosquiotoes. i order it via amazon with free shipping. i have never used deet on my kids.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 AM

316 posts, read 989,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Uhm.. I dont really know. I'm 25 and still live at home with Mom and Dad. Dad is VERY frugal. We never have really owned an air conditioner because my he doesn't want the high electric bill, so we have to do with window fans. I think the only AC we had that was used once in a blue moon in my parents room was destroyed in a flood about 5 years ago. It was rarely used and never replaced.

My bedroom is in the basement which is cooler, but then there's the problem of mold growing. My brother and I have like 3 industrial fans that we use in our bedrooms to keep cool and get some air circulating down there, but it really doesn't do much for us.

As of 7pm this evening, it was 89 degrees inside my house. I'm sitting on the couch in my underwear eating an Italian ice LOL. I can't begin to tell you how much I cant wait for summer to be over.
You're 25, so I assume you have a job: why not get an a/c or de-humidifier for your room, and pay for the excess electricity used? You will be able to sleep and you it will also help with the mold issue .

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
You're 25, so I assume you have a job: why not get an a/c or de-humidifier for your room, and pay for the excess electricity used? You will be able to sleep and you it will also help with the mold issue .
or.. move out?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
i use arbonne aromassentials, it contains lemon. the nights i put it on my kids they don't get bitten. the nights i forget to put it on them, they get butchered by mosquiotoes. i order it via amazon with free shipping. i have never used deet on my kids.

Arbonne makes some great products -- I never even thought to try the product you use. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
the skeeters are bad here in Northern Virginia as well. Maybe I should check the pet store to see if I can buy me some bats. Zappers verbotin in this 'hood. Spray ain't working. I'm using techniques I learned in the rain forest: wear long everything.
Why cant you use Zappers?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
The mosquitoes really are a nuisance this year. We've been using the skin so soft bug spray and it's helped a lot..the nights we've forgotten it we've been eaten alive at backyard barbecues and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island