Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

hey guys!

Does anyone know where else besides Craigslist (sketchy!!) I can find postings for Long Islanders looking for band members? I am a singer looking to get into a band of some sort.

Any direction appreciated.

Thanks kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
try Musicians Wanted - Search Local Musician Classifieds : BandMix.com and put your info in.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 PM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
Try the bulletin board at Sam Ash on Old Country Rd.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
There's also Looney-Tunes in West Babylon. (Last time I checked).

If you have a good voice and something to offer, why not get your video camera out and do your own video of just how well you can sing?
There are people being discovered every day, on a national level, because they've exposed (or rather, presented) themselves on youtube.
Be glad that you have this great avenue of the internet to provide a clear, no-nonsense channel or showcase for your talent. If you really think
that you have the right stuff, I'd even be willing to do the video for you!

A voice is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Anywhere there are musicians involved, there will be morons and goofballs.
You're just gonna have to kick it the same way it's always been done. Weed through hundreds and hundreds of idiots until you find something remotely decent.
The best way to hook up with quality and intelligent musicians(oxymoron?) is to get out on the scene and meet and mingle. Word of mouth always works best.
Any of these classified ads and websites are just loaded with goofballs.
There's no way around it. You're gonna need the patience of a saint and a boatload of determination.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
There's also Looney-Tunes in West Babylon. (Last time I checked).

If you have a good voice and something to offer, why not get your video camera out and do your own video of just how well you can sing?
There are people being discovered every day, on a national level, because they've exposed (or rather, presented) themselves on youtube.
Be glad that you have this great avenue of the internet to provide a clear, no-nonsense channel or showcase for your talent. If you really think
that you have the right stuff, I'd even be willing to do the video for you!

A voice is a terrible thing to waste.
Well i don't have a video but I do have at least 10 tracks of me crooning it out...I don't know, do you really think I need a video? Is there somewhere online I can post my tracks? (I would also be worried someone would try to steal them and pawn them off as their own).

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
The music store suggestion is a good one. I found that networking with musicians the best way to find a band, and it often starts with just one introduction. Mine was seeing a guy playing guitar at Argyle lake one Sunday morning and talking with him. He got me in contact with a guy looking for a guitar player and after that I was off to the races.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
The link I posted for bandmix is good. I had used it in the past and was in the studio a couple weeks later.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM

239 posts, read 612,379 times
I think Craigs is the 1st stop most people make these days; you'll just have to weed through and figure out who's sincere. It's actually not that hard. Just make sure you use common sense and meet somewhere public and with a friend (bodyguard) for the first time. People used to post ads in The Long Island Ear, but I don't know if that even exists anymore. Long Island Press? Good Times? All those free rags you get at music stores. And as someone else mentioned, do check the bulletin boards at Guitar Center and Sam Ash and whatnot.
You'll have varying experiences depending on what you want to do. If you want to sing for a cover band, they'll probably require a big committment and professionalism. If you want to do originals, it'll take a while to get it off the ground and they might require that you play an instrument and write lyrics. I know nothing about the hip-hop scene or anything like that, but I'm sure that's different, too.
Best of luck. I'm a 30 year old English teacher, but I still fully intend to become a rock star when I grow up. (Hey -- Sting did it among others)! If you don't find a band right away, look into getting a recording program for the computer and just put your stuff up on Youtube. (This, too, is a large committment though. Those programs are expensive and take a while to learn, but even if you get only 20 hits, it's very gratifying to know that you have something out there and some people do get discovered)! Have fun! Long Island has a great music scene if you look for it.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
give up...take up sculpting or tiddlywinks...no one cares about new music and there are a zillion crappy cover bands already. LI is the biggest musical wasteland on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island