Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Apparently you're not as current as you think you are. The caps are back in place. The incentive has expired.
link??

Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The police are not the only ones with that practice. NYC Sanitation does the same thing to garbagemen.

These policies make it very unattractive to call in sick without good reason ... nobody will get away with going fishing!

So why is a "retirement bonus" windfall necessary for some people on top of that?
Of course it isn't necessary, its about Mangano giving thanks to those who bankrolled his campaign. Mangano supported this type of thing when Gullotta was in office. Suozzi put the caps in place, the PBA despised him for it and bankrolled Mangano's campaign, Mangano thanked them for bankrolling his campaign by removing the caps.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
link??
Do you think that everything has a link to it? There is no link. It's common knowledge among county employees.

Just ask any county cop who now wishes he had taken advantage of the incentive package. The proposed restructuring of the Department has many regretting their choice not to take the incentive.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Of course it isn't necessary, its about Mangano giving thanks to those who bankrolled his campaign. Mangano supported this type of thing when Gullotta was in office. Suozzi put the caps in place, the PBA despised him for it and bankrolled Mangano's campaign, Mangano thanked them for bankrolling his campaign by removing the caps.
Actually, the PBA wasn't supporting Mangano. And the real bankroll for his campaign was the volunteer fire service. You should know that.

The caps weren't as much an issue as you make them out to be. The average cop didn't lose a whole lot of money with the caps imposed. It was mainly for show.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Do you think that everything has a link to it? There is no link. It's common knowledge among county employees.

Just ask any county cop who now wishes he had taken advantage of the incentive package. The proposed restructuring of the Department has many regretting their choice not to take the incentive.

Ahh so no link then?? Thanks for sharing....

Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Ahh so no link then?? Thanks for sharing....
You're obviously part of that generation that thinks that everything you need or want to know is found on the internet ... and that it's all absolutely factual.

Why don't you ask your boy Mejias about the caps?

Oh wait, he was defeated ... and then forced out of the campaign for state senator. Something about an arrest ...

How about asking one of the remaining Democrats you're so fond of. I'm sure they could give you the straight scoop. But will you believe them if it's not on a website?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, the PBA wasn't supporting Mangano. And the real bankroll for his campaign was the volunteer fire service. You should know that.
The PBA came out swinging against Suozzi during the campaign.

BTW, the Chief in my location doesn't refer to Fire, it refers to Massapequa Chief. I currently live in S. Farmingdale, grew and went to school in Massapequa. So I'm now in enemy territory. (Massapequa and Farmingdale are arch rivals)

Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The PBA came out swinging against Suozzi during the campaign.

BTW, the Chief in my location doesn't refer to Fire, it refers to Massapequa Chief. I currently live in S. Farmingdale, grew and went to school in Massapequa. So I'm now in enemy territory. (Massapequa and Farmingdale are arch rivals)
Not really. You must have them confused with some other PBA. They cozied up to Suozzi when they agreed to a contract extension to 2015. You obviously have your campaigns mixed up.

Last edited by pdcnret; 09-23-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM

290 posts, read 583,242 times
Only the Nassau Detective supported Mangano -- the other two unions supported Suozzi. And the deadline to file for the "cap-free" retirement ended months ago.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am wondering IF the tide will turn to a better and more secure employment situation for the middle class in America or if high unemployment IS going to be the "new reality" of having so many jobs commoditized by globalization and automation. Some experts think the trend is more towards "casual employment" where nobody really works for anybody and is only called in when needed and only paid for exactly what hours they work (no vacation, no sick time, no holidays, no benefits). The growth of the temp agencies with companies using them to "employ" people for years certainly points towards that. Take this book, for instance:

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Free-Agent-Nation-Working-Yourself/dp/B002NSLN5I/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285273609&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself: Daniel H. Pink: Books[/URL]

Come to think of it, you are a "free agent" yourself but the difference is by your choice and for many, this may very well not be by choice, but more like what is described in Chapter 13, which discusses "Temp Slaves and Permatemps."
Most temp agencies give their employees benefits, including vacation accrual, health insurance, and so on. If they put someone in a long-term gig--six months to a year--it adds up pretty quickly. It's really no different than working for a government contractor, which I used to do, as well.

With freelancing, it's a different story, and the government is cracking down on companies who use "permalancers." If you have to work on-site, under the direct supervision of a the client, during hours set by the client, using client equipment--or a combination of these--depending on the length of the gig, the IRS and the government may very well consider you an employee of the company. Good on them because some companies attempt to use "permalancers" to avoid paying unemployment insurance and offering benefits. This even counts for people who work at home, because if they are working 40 hours a week on a schedule dictated by the client, under client supervision, they are telecommuters, not freelancers.

The trouble now is that certain publishers are sponsoring a ton of "internships" so not only are they not paying unemployment insurance, they are not even paying wages. Then you have college students writing your news for course credit. Good luck with that.

Most gung-ho freelancers would rather not work for clients that want them to work on-site. For one thing, you can't market yourself to prospects while you're on someone else's billable hours. Rule one: When you have work, continue to get work.

For another, if you master your niche, you become too efficient for hourly wages. A client may think you need to sit there for 8 hours putting together an 800-word story and want to pay you $80 an hour to do it, figuring $640 for a day's work is good and they're getting a bargain over someone who would charge a buck a word for the same story. If you know what you're covering, you can put the same 800-word story together for the same $640 at home at 80 cents per word, and the client will still be getting a bargain, but you'll do it in 4 or 5 hours, without the time and expense of commuting to the client's site. That means you're making $128 to $160 an hour in your jammies and you get to come on C-D and antagonize the peanut gallery whenever you need a break. You tell me what's harder and what's smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island