Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Cops on Long Island are already the highest paid in the country. About 2/3 of the Nassau County portion of property taxes go towards the police
Negative actually its more like top 30 in the USA. Scpd is 22nd on li.
Most li village PD pay is higher. Li is also one of the most expensive places to live so cops need a livable well paid salary.

Let's also not forget it takes years to get to top pay rates

Lastly 6-7% of you taxes go to police services the majority 60% goes to schools.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Sorry, they're no longer the highest paid. You'll find the highest paid in California and New Jersey. (Find your own links -- there's lots of them.)

And the 2/3 figure is a bit overstated.
63% is pretty damn close to 2/3....

Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Negative actually its more like top 30 in the USA. Scpd is 22nd on li.
Most li village PD pay is higher. Li is also one of the most expensive places to live so cops need a livable well paid salary.

Let's also not forget it takes years to get to top pay rates

Lastly 6-7% of you taxes go to police services the majority 60% goes to schools.
I was talking about the County portion of the taxes, which its 63%.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What does Wall Street have to do with NY State Pensions? The wisdom of our legislature saw fit to stop employee donations to retirement when the stock market was hitting new highs what ever sense that makes; too much money in the pension system would have been a problem? They have since corrected this ridiculous philosophy but taxpayers will need to fund shortfalls for the near term retirements.

NY State is one of the wealthiest states and has the highest deficit next to California and one of the highest tax rates, the cost of pensions is a huge part of why we are running record deficits.
Pension funds are invested in wall street stocks. When the criminals on wall street crashed the economy the pensions lost. Its the fault of the corrupt private sector which caused the current crisis.....not pensions or civil servants

Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I was talking about the County portion of the taxes, which its 63%.
Which amounts to $2-$3 a day.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Pension funds are invested in wall street stocks. When the criminals on wall street crashed the economy the pensions lost. Its the fault of the corrupt private sector which caused the current crisis.....not pensions or civil servants
Its the private sectors fault that NY State invested pensions in risky investments? Now it comes out that the taxpayers needed to guarantee an 8% rate of return on the NY State Pension System and because of the shortfall the villages, counties are being hit with increases. The unions should have been required to donate to the system all along but they lobbied congress to stop employee donations when times were good.

Pensions that require an an 8% return on investment was a disaster waiting to happen and we are paying for it now.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
What I find funniest is that teachers and cops use that argument, 'We need obscene pay to live here". Their unions are why the cost of living is so high in the first place!

Hahaha, I'm sure you'll feel differently when you do findhomeonLI.

Police work doesnt take genius or bravery (ever notice cops only shoot unarmed men?Its because people with guns might shoot back) and they already get gold plated job security and benefits, plus they hit 100k(thats base pay-they have tons of OT scams going) in a few short years? Give me a break.

As for teachers and the even more grotesquely overpaid "school administrators" (with equal benefits and job security to the cops), it must be very hard to work 10 months a year.

I hope every cop and teacher gets not 600k severance but 1.2 million in severance. Top dollar, you get what you pay for and all that eh?
I'll go out on a limb and speculate that you've never been shot at by an armed bad guy. Come back and talk to me after you have. Maybe you'll think twice about making such moronic comments.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
You guys with your "facts" and "opinions" Real knowledge is power

Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Very true! This is all a sham and a result of butt kissing useless public sector unions. Public sector unions only exist to unjustly enrich themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.
That's a mighty broad statement.

I think a pension and union representation are quite justified for anyone who has to deal with human scum as a core requirement of his or her job description, especially when that person has to work OT every single pay period and/or come up with other ways of making money to pay the mortgage, feed and clothe the kids, etc.

Believe it or not, but not every civil servant is rolling in dough, and that goes for LE as well as any other branch.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That's a mighty broad statement.

I think a pension and union representation are quite justified for anyone who has to deal with human scum as a core requirement of his or her job description, especially when that person has to work OT every single pay period and/or come up with other ways of making money to pay the mortgage, feed and clothe the kids, etc.

Believe it or not, but not every civil servant is rolling in dough, and that goes for LE as well as any other branch.
You know me and my sweeping statements ...

Okay, even *I* don't fully believe that when it comes to why the public employee unions were started and don't fully believe that of ALL public employee unions.

But you already know the ones I do believe are intent on destroying the taxpayers for their own gain.

As for "not every civil servant is rolling in dough" ... yes, I do know that because I have perused the test announcements and job listings in the past and many had sub-par salaries and I wonder if they look at a few unions just like I do ... with disgust and disbelief that people can greedily and blindly go on killing the golden goose. Haven't they learned ANYTHING from what happened to the greedy autoworkers' unions? Do they really think that just because that was a private industry and they are relying on the public's tax money for everything that they will just keep getting more and more with no end in sight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island