Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Your comments, while actually more stupid than moronic, also display a high degree of animosity toward police. Your credibility, therefore, is non-existent.
The logic in this comment is non-existent.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
By the way, you might want to fact-check NYPD salaries. You'll find that they're comparable to Nassau and Suffolk.
That's a 360 degree turnaround from what you said here about NYPD vs. LI salaries:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1272057-post3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret
What's your point? NYC cops are woefully underpaid. (Would you do that job for $65,000 per year - and that's top pay?) That started in 1975 when they laid off thousands of cops in NYC due to a fiscal crisis. Until that point, they actually made more money than Nassau or Suffolk. They've never regained that ground.
Which is it? If NYPD's top pay is $65K and LI police officers make six figures with 5 years of service, I would not call that comparable. Not by a long shot.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for your service!

We never even tried to unionize either.

Seriously though, I was a medic, really can't say I did much. Which is good I guess.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
That's a 360 degree turnaround from what you said here about NYPD vs. LI salaries:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1272057-post3.html

Which is it? If NYPD's top pay is $65K and LI police officers make six figures with 5 years of service, I would not call that comparable. Not by a long shot.
Read the date on that post, sparky? It's three years old. Lots of good things have happened in the NYPD pay-wise in the past three years.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it has be taken down to a level that he might understand. But I'm not real hopeful.

I'm guessing he's been on the receiving end of a DWI or traffic tickets or a drug charge. That's usually the basis for such obvious hatred of cops. And then he gets to spew all kinds of nonsense anonymously from the basement of Mom's house. Must be some sort of cheap thrill.
that's the thing...most people are able to separate their issues with police compensation from their feelings toward actual cops.

Seems like the people on the other side of the argument feel anyone who dares to question police compensation "hates" cops and has little respect for their day to day duties. It's immature and weak. These people are not driving around listening to Body Count's greatest hits and throwing eggs at cop cars...

Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that's the thing...most people are able to separate their issues with police compensation from their feelings toward actual cops.
Comments like:

Quote:
Those who would be and have nothing special if it weren't for extremely high real estate taxes funding their livelihood are desperate to keep the sheeple paying for it in the dark.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
If you weren't so dimwitted and was capable of reading, you'd see I actually do have respect for real cops, like the NYCPD-you and your ilk are just slobs eating away at the trough. Long Island cops are overpaid baby sitters, racking up OT to keep the spoiled suburban kids safe from themselves.
are not demonstrative of an ability to separate issues with compensation from feelings about individual cops. In fact, they're generalizations that take the very notion of cops as individuals right out of the picture, never mind the blanket accusation in Kreutz's comment that Long Island cops do nothing to earn the money they make.

Well, someone is filling the jails and prisons with criminals. They don't just materialize there.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Read the date on that post, sparky? It's three years old. Lots of good things have happened in the NYPD pay-wise in the past three years.
Tbat's not what it says on their website "sparkles" ... or is that "old" too?

LI cops = $108K base pay after 5 years
NYC cops = $65,800 base pay after 5 years

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-30-2010 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: had to return the favor of a pet name

Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Default As for this comment ...

Those who would be and have nothing special if it weren't for extremely high real estate taxes funding their livelihood are desperate to keep the sheeple paying for it in the dark.

That does not mean I am a LI cop hater or that I think they do a crappy job, etc. Not at all. I keep it simple. I don't bother them. They don't bother me. Why keep throwing the "cop hater" label around? Nothing else to fling? Here's the next stuff from the playbook: (a) call me a CRIMINAL WHO HATES COPS BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING ARRESTED BY THEM, (b) call me a BAD STUDENT and FORMER BRAT IN SCHOOL WHO GAVE THE TEACHERS TROUBLE.

The statement itself is not actually "about" the police on LI per se, but about people thinking they are "special" and "entitled" because of excessive compensation and perks due to two types of aggressive and greedy unions on LI (police and teachers) which cause EXCESSIVE real estate taxation. My only problem is that the taxpayers cannot keep compensating these unions way above their market value. You know the ghost towns out west? Guess how that happened? Because the gold or silver or ___ mine ran dry and there was no way to support the towns anymore. Well right now the taxpayers' pockets are running dry and cannot keep providing "special" compensation levels.

My question to them is why are you doing what you are doing? Is it really because you "love" your vocation? Would you love your vocation if it did not offer excessive rewards above what others in your vocation, who are not part of your unions, receive? Would you still love your vocation then if you didn't get "special" compensation levels above all others in your vocation? I hate to break it to you, but none of you are any better than anyone else in your profession in any other area of the country and deserve no more than they get beyond a reasonable COL adjustment. The only thing "better" is your unions and their connections to those in power who have the ability to take our tax money and throw it at you. Please get over yourselves. Thank you.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-30-2010 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
These "Top Cops" are at the Chief level which is political. The rules were waived by the government to give them these Golden Parachutes so that the new government could put their political appointees in. This has NOTHING TO DO with Policemen

Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
These "Top Cops" are at the Chief level which is political. The rules were waived by the government to give them these Golden Parachutes so that the new government could put their political appointees in. This has NOTHING TO DO with Policemen
They waved the cap for all not just the chiefs, Newsday failed to address the payout of the other 175 cops that chose to retire. Supposedly they were not replacing these positions according to Mangano; that does not appear to be the case but that is another argument.

I'm not sure what all this accomplished since the county actually had to borrow money to pay for the buyouts making a bad situation worse.

It's just difficult to understand anyone from the outside supporting $600,000 bonus pay for civil service positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island