Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM

60 posts, read 176,858 times

Advertisements

My parents are trying to decide which cable to get, Verizon will give us their top package that has like every channel for 160 something a month and cablevision said they can give us their gold package for 180 something a month. Anyone with experience with either of these and which is better and if it should be cheaper ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 PM

184 posts, read 805,971 times
I assume you are getting all 3 services (phone/internet/cable)? I would go with verizon hands down. I hope to never go back to cablevision again.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM

60 posts, read 176,858 times
verizon gives free on demand too right ? I am not sure if it is included with cablevision

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
FIOS all the way! Cablevision channels are not as good as FIOS. Things are so much clearer with FIOS and you get so much more for the $$. You get free demand with FIOS if you have the channels, e.g. HBO, Cinemax, etc. Cablevision charges you for on demand. We used to have Cablevision and I used to get frustrated watching it b/c the channels would freeze up or if I wanted to use the guide it would just freeze on all my tv's. FIOS offers so much more for the $$ and their channels and guide do not freeze up at all.

My vote is for Verizon. There is no comparison between Cablevision and Verizon.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
Go with FIOS and don't play games with the price. They will offer you all sorts of deals, but just take the straight up price because they will never follow through with their deals. Despite their billing issues, their product/service is FAR superior to Cablevision. FAR FAR superior.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,782 times
If you are a sports nut, then you have to consider Cablevision. As a Rangers fan, there is no way I could get FIOS (if it was available in my area), because I dont want to miss the games in HD

Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
For me, it is Fios by a mile. The Free On Demand for all the movie channels keeps me from ever renting movies, there is always something I can watch (old or new). The interface is better by far. I have had Fios for about 5 months and have not had one billing issue. As for sports, I will trade MSG in HD for NFL Network and Red Zone channel in HD any day. I feel that overall you get much more for your money with Fios.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
FIOS for cheaper? No question take it.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
FIOS for cheaper? No question take it.
That is impossible. Fios is known for tacking on some really heavy fees -- many fees that CV doesn't have to charge you certain reasons. I was just at a friends house sunday and CV has definitely upped their HD picture recently or something because it couldn't compare with fios HD a couple years ago. You want the easiest way to choose?

If you want cheap and basic packages, you're best suited going with;
a) Dish
b) Cablevision
c) Directv

If you want the works and be prepared to pay up:
a) fios (better picture, although CV now equally as good from what I have seen)
b) cablevision (much more bang for your buck)

One final thing, if you get the movie package with fios + bundle, expect to pay over $200 easy. They will lie on their quotes to get you to sign. CV is actually very honest to the dollar on the amount it will cost you. And for noobs that aren't aware of it, on-demand is pointless if you don't have the premium packages. It's like cablevision boasting about having PPV. It's comical really how much they hype a pretty useless feature.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:46 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
That is impossible. Fios is known for tacking on some really heavy fees -- many fees that CV doesn't have to charge you certain reasons. I was just at a friends house sunday and CV has definitely upped their HD picture recently or something because it couldn't compare with fios HD a couple years ago. You want the easiest way to choose?

If you want cheap and basic packages, you're best suited going with;
a) Dish
b) Cablevision
c) Directv

If you want the works and be prepared to pay up:
a) fios (better picture, although CV now equally as good from what I have seen)
b) cablevision (much more bang for your buck)

One final thing, if you get the movie package with fios + bundle, expect to pay over $200 easy. They will lie on their quotes to get you to sign. CV is actually very honest to the dollar on the amount it will cost you. And for noobs that aren't aware of it, on-demand is pointless if you don't have the premium packages. It's like cablevision boasting about having PPV. It's comical really how much they hype a pretty useless feature.
For your information, FIOS does not require a contract anymore so there is nothing to sign. As I mentioned in my previous post on here, you will get free on demand if you pay for the movie channels...HBO, Cinemax, etc. With Cablevision you pay for the channels and also have to pay to watch something on demand. How is that more bang for your buck?

Have I had billing issues with Verizon, yes but they have credited me the difference or what was happening is my bill was being prorated...each time I had to call they were very nice explaining the issue to me and each time they took care of it by crediting me or explaining that the tv part was prorated.

Verizon has no choice to charge tax b/c there they are FCC regulated b/c they used copper phone lines at one time. This is why Verizon in the end may be a little more. BUT if you ask Verizon what the monthly bill will be when when you call to set up the service they can tell you. They did this for me and they were correct with the amount. There was nothing misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island