Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It would seem that you are blinded by your anti-Jewish bigotry.

No one is requesting special food: just like serving regular Gentile food, school districts, where requested, should serve regular Kosher or regular Halal food.

Silent Night, for one.

Halloween is indeed a Christian holiday: Halloween is the contraction of All Hallows Eve, the evening of All Hallows Day, which is now known as All Saints Day. (St. Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day are also Christian holidays).
Kosher food: are you SURE that the food in school cafeterias is not Kosher? Just about everything in supermarkets has the Kosher mark on it.

I don't remember ever singing any hymns in school.

Halloween, St. Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day have all been co-opted by the secular crowd. Even some of the Christmas traditions have been co-opted by Jewish people, as I personally knew families who were Jewish who celebrated the day with gifts, etc. The only difference is they called their Christmas Tree a Hanukkah Bush.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times
Quote:
What American did then is not always what Americans do now.
I know, but Christian culture has been made a part of American culture since the beginning of this country so sometimes it's hard to separate the two, although I can definitely understand how many people are not satisfied with this in this day and age.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,948,388 times
Quote:
It would seem that you are blinded by your anti-Jewish bigotry.

No one is requesting special food: just like serving regular Gentile food, school districts, where requested, should serve regular Kosher or regular Halal food.

Silent Night, for one.

Halloween is indeed a Christian holiday: Halloween is the contraction of All Hallows Eve, the evening of All Hallows Day, which is now known as All Saints Day. (St. Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day are also Christian holidays).
No one is requesting special food? Why should the school have to worry about every single child's "needs" (because really, a Jew or a Muslim isn't going to explode after eating Ham & Cheese) when we ALREADY complain about high school taxes. You want your kid eating something you are sure is X, you give them lunch.

I do not remember singing or even learning Silent Night in any grade.

Halloween is a Christian holiday? I didn't know dressing up like a pirate and begging for candy was in the bible.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,592,688 times
Quote:
What about the majority of gov't school districts that put on Christmas Concerts, where teachers, paid form tax funds, teach students to sing and/or play Christian religious songs; that schedules sports teams to play at a time that excludes others students from participating because of different religious beliefs; that only serve Gentile food in the school cafeteria, excluding some students from eating a hot lunch because of different religious beliefs?
I haven't heard the term "Christmas Concert" since I was in public school several decades ago. During the 13 years in the local district and we have has only holiday concerts in which the children sing seasonal songs such as "Over the meadow and through the woods" and "Let it Snow", "Snow, Snow when are You Falling?", "Let it Snow", etc. Occasionally the Dreidel (sp?) song comes up because it isn't in the same religious vein as "We Three Kings" or "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".

Given that in my district the food is prepared elsewhere and brought in, how many safeguards would need to be put into place to assure everything was Kosher compliant? And how much more should the taxpayers shell out? Chances are the student whose parents keep a Kosher home are also sending their child to a private Hebrew academy or sending them to school with a healthy, home prepared meal. Personally, I prefer knowing my child is going in with quality food which is healthy and not dependent upon government guidelines.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,585,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Schools should simply serve food, not kosher, not hallal, not whatever.
If schools offer anything more than just a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home, then the school district should serve food that a child can eat without violating that child's family's private beliefs.

Quote:
The additional cost associated trying to maintain special dietary standards would be too high.
Then only provide a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home.

Quote:
As for Halloween it may have started as all hallows eve in the christian faith but in this country it is just a kids holliday. Kids dress up, go door to door for candy and have fun, at least till the adults try to make it politcally correct. Even most adults enjoy the "party" atmosphere of the day....:smack:
Except that Jews, both kids and adults, are prohibited by Commandment from celebrating a Christian holiday, even if Christians have corrupted their own holiday.

Purim is when Jewish kids dress up, and rather than go door to door for candy, they bring baskets of food to others celebrating Purim.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 09-14-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Kosher food: are you SURE that the food in school cafeterias is not Kosher? Just about everything in supermarkets has the Kosher mark on it.
True. But, when cooked using non-kosher pots, pans and utensils and served on non-kosher plates, the food is no longer kosher.

Quote:
I don't remember ever singing any hymns in school.
You didn't sing Silent Night?

Quote:
Halloween, St. Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day have all been co-opted by the secular crowd.
Even if these Christian holidays have been corrupted, they are still Christian holidays and Jews are forbidden to celebrate a Christian holiday.

Quote:
Even some of the Christmas traditions have been co-opted by Jewish people, as I personally knew families who were Jewish who celebrated the day with gifts, etc. The only difference is they called their Christmas Tree a Hanukkah Bush.
Just like in all groups, there are bad Jews, too.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 151,689 times
what about school off with all those jewish holidays?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
... because really, a Jew or a Muslim isn't going to explode after eating Ham & Cheese ...
Do you know what a sin is?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Given that in my district the food is prepared elsewhere and brought in, how many safeguards would need to be put into place to assure everything was Kosher compliant?
The same safeguards that allow kosher meals to be served on airplanes, etc, etc.

Quote:
And how much more should the taxpayers shell out?
How much should Jewish property owners pay and not receive equal access to a hot meal their children can eat?

Quote:
Chances are the student whose parents keep a Kosher home are also sending their child to a private Hebrew academy or sending them to school with a healthy, home prepared meal.
Not all Jewish families that keep kosher send their children to Jewish parochial school; and, those that send their children to gov't school, these children should have the same access to a hot kosher meal as do the children eating a hot Gentile meal.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM

19,090 posts, read 16,888,609 times
Quote:
If schools offer anything more than just a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home, then the school district should serve food that a child can eat with violating that child's family's private beliefs.

Then only provide a lunch room where students can eat the food that they brought from home.

Except that Jews, both kids and adults, are prohibited by Commandment from celebrating a Christian holiday, even if Christians have corrupted their own holiday.

Purim is when Jewish kids dress up, and rather than go door to door for candy, they bring baskets of food to others celebrating Purim.
It is obvious that you practice your faith, thats fine. But just as I wouldn't want my tax dollar to pay for teaching intelligent design/creationism in public school I would not want the extra tax burden to maintain a kosher facility if the kitchens could even be upgraded to meet them. Again if a person has a specific dietary practice then pack a lunch.

As for the hollidays to each his own I know Jehovahs Witnesses who won't allow their kids to participate in Halloween/holliday parties. The sad part is rather than picking up their kids early they have to go to the library till it's over. I really don't thing a 1st grader comprehends why they can't participate.

Growing up means being exposed to all kinds of cultures/people. At some point the child starts to think for themselves and choose what values they will believe. As a parent we hope they follow what we believe but I prefer they think for themselves and decide themselves..with guidance of course.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island