U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 AM
 
939 posts, read 1,558,916 times
Reputation: 506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Agreed. Look Suozzi was far from perfect, he made his share of mistakes, and could have done things better, however at least he tried to make some changes. With Mangano, along with Schmitt as Presiding Officer we seem to do be headed down the EXACT same path we were under Gullotta. Which was FAR worse under Gullotta than it was under Suozzi.

This is especially true when you consider that the downturn of the county finances during the last couple years of Suozzi administration, were directly related to the national economy falling off the cliff in 2008. Could he have done things better? Perhaps, but the downturn had much more to do with the national economy imploding than mismanagement.

As far as the county finances under Gullotta, hell we were on the verge of getting our finances taken over by the state when Gullotta left office. And all of those problems sure as hell weren't economy related as it came during the boom of all booms. Could you imagine how insane things would have gotten in the late 90's with our county finances if we went through the fiscal disaster in the county that we had during a bad economy?? Dear God that would have been pure insanity, yet Mangano and Schmitt somehow haven't seemed to learn from that disaster. Not surprising to anyone that paid any attention to their records in the legislature during Gullotta's tenure, but the fact Mangano seems intent on following Gullotta's footprint to a T is DEEPLY troubling.
To take a page from the Democratic playbook: Mangano inherited the County's financial mess from the prior Democratic administration.

Mangano's only been in office for 9 months. It'll take a while to clean up the mess that Suozzi left. After all, isn't our supreme national leader still blaming the prior administration for the fiscal state of the country after being in office for nearly two years? You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Long Island
28,896 posts, read 12,063,271 times
Reputation: 5957
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
To take a page from the Democratic playbook: Mangano inherited the County's financial mess from the prior Democratic administration.

Mangano's only been in office for 9 months. It'll take a while to clean up the mess that Suozzi left. After all, isn't our supreme national leader still blaming the prior administration for the fiscal state of the country after being in office for nearly two years? You can't have it both ways.

Yes he did inherit a fiscal mess but he campaigned on the platform that he had a plan to put Nassau back on its feet. All I have seen are what appear to be amateur solutions like the casino, demanding give-backs from the unions, and selling off leases at Mitchell Field, etc. The budget proposed by Mangano and supported by Schmidt is questionable and Maragos has been missing in action.

The only legitimate solution like it or not is to raise taxes but we all know that is a death sentence for politicians. So here we go again borrowing to pay our bills. Instead of sending out mailing and telling us how bad it is its time for Mangano to come up with a plan.

Nassau County, Long Island New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 AM
 
932 posts, read 1,021,513 times
Reputation: 592
Solution is eliminate social services payments
Nassau has a reputation for being very generous for dolling out cash to freeloaders for hotel rooms
The freeloaders simply pocket the cash to buy drugs and stay with family and friends. Social services shells out 500k a year on Nassau taxpayer money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 AM
 
2,735 posts, read 2,978,234 times
Reputation: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Solution is eliminate social services payments
Nassau has a reputation for being very generous for dolling out cash to freeloaders for hotel rooms
The freeloaders simply pocket the cash to buy drugs and stay with family and friends. Social services shells out 500k a year on Nassau taxpayer money
Solution is actually to renegotiate teacher and police contracts and consolidate services, eliminating superfluous water/fire/police/school districts and the expensive layers of administration necessary to maintain them.

Of course, that'll never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
 
932 posts, read 1,021,513 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Solution is actually to renegotiate teacher and police contracts and consolidate services, eliminating superfluous water/fire/police/school districts and the expensive layers of administration necessary to maintain them.

Of course, that'll never happen.
Well the schools have nothing to do with your county tax. The problem with pd water districts etc is they are top heavy. Mangano can pass on appointed positions but it will never happen. Its alot easier to blame county employees


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,767,506 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Solution is eliminate social services payments
Nassau has a reputation for being very generous for dolling out cash to freeloaders for hotel rooms
The freeloaders simply pocket the cash to buy drugs and stay with family and friends. Social services shells out 500k a year on Nassau taxpayer money
I am sure if the County pays for the homeless to stay in a motel, they do not put the CASH in the hands of the indigent person but rather reimburse the motel directly. UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT FROM EXPERIENCE PERHAPS?

$500K a YEAR? For ALL the welfarites? Considering they just doled out $600K PER INDIVIDUAL (with 6 figures to come annually for life) when it came to retiring police brass, that $500K a year to keep the homeless off the streets is a comparative bargain.

Blaming the "welfare queens" for the ills of the taxpayer is quite old school and not legitimately done since the Clinton administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,601 posts, read 14,681,448 times
Reputation: 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
To take a page from the Democratic playbook: Mangano inherited the County's financial mess from the prior Democratic administration.

Mangano's only been in office for 9 months. It'll take a while to clean up the mess that Suozzi left. After all, isn't our supreme national leader still blaming the prior administration for the fiscal state of the country after being in office for nearly two years? You can't have it both ways.
My issues with Mangano is not that he hasn't yet solved the county's financial problems. My issue is he is doing the exact same thing that went on during the Gullotta administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM
 
167 posts, read 314,222 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Solution is eliminate social services payments
Nassau has a reputation for being very generous for dolling out cash to freeloaders for hotel rooms
The freeloaders simply pocket the cash to buy drugs and stay with family and friends. Social services shells out 500k a year on Nassau taxpayer money
That's comical. As a LI'er, i really don't care if they cut social service payments, but it's still less than the "payout" on ONE single top brass!!! (And that's not including their pension, medical, etc,etc,etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 AM
 
932 posts, read 1,021,513 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am sure if the County pays for the homeless to stay in a motel, they do not put the CASH in the hands of the indigent person but rather reimburse the motel directly. UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT FROM EXPERIENCE PERHAPS?

$500K a YEAR? For ALL the welfarites? Considering they just doled out $600K PER INDIVIDUAL (with 6 figures to come annually for life) when it came to retiring police brass, that $500K a year to keep the homeless off the streets is a comparative bargain.

Blaming the "welfare queens" for the ills of the taxpayer is quite old school and not legitimately done since the Clinton administration.
Correction the social services budget is 500 million more than enough to cure Nassau s budget woes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: In the basket
9,473 posts, read 10,997,715 times
Reputation: 5779
When I become County Exec I will completely do away with Social Services.
Get a job, pull your own weight, or don't let the door hit you in the ass.
End of story.
I don't care.
The Lord helps those who help themselves.
Social Services does not help. It enables derelicts to continue to be derelicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top