Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 45,391 times

Advertisements

How many of you out there feel we should ask (insist) for her resignation? This summer has been a fiasco. And to add insult to injury, when there are extensive delays, she sends police to the scene..I guess we commuters are a violent bunch? Come on Helena. Step aside and let a real executive take the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
I left work early today. I see all service is suspended west of Jamaica. I looked at the forecast and said lemme get out of here, you can't really blame the LIRR today though. I know the storm was worst than forecasted but I don't risk it anymore with the railroad.

They are telling customers to take the E train to Jamaica where you can catch the LIRR east. Ouch.

Last edited by TVR1997; 09-16-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
The trains are leaving from Jamaica out east. I got lucky as I decided today to go to Jamaica instead of Penn to get a train to Ronk.

I am on a train to Ronk now that just left Jamaica 10 minutes ago. This train is EMPTY.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 45,391 times
Good to know. I will try to grab the E to jamaica. I am stuck at Hunterspt.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
I think she's doing a fairly decent job, considering she's involved in a organization that has been going its way for over 100 years, she's been handling it well. It's a political job by nature seeing how the LIRR is owned by the MTA, she can only do so much. She seems to get answers from her employees on whats what, and expects results. No matter who you put in there, they're going to be not much more than a figurehead. She can make changes to an extent, but the 'President' of teh LIRR hasn't had full control since 1965 when Gov Rockefeller bought it from the Pennsy, and it left private hands.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I leave out of Brooklyn on a 545pm Babylon train. There was an initial announcement that a train was stuck at Nostrand Ave. Then shortly thereafter, they announced that due to weather conditions all service was suspended from Brooklyn. I decided to stay on my train while 75% of the people bolted to head up to Penn. About 20 minutes later they announced service was suspended from both Penn and Brooklyn. I suppose those people who left are still at Penn. My train left an hour late but had no problems. I realized it was bad when I hit my station and it was still filled with cars.

The LIRR can't be blamed for this but their announcements still are poor. They should have, at least, informed everyone of the severity of the storm and that it was affecting not only Brooklyn but the whole system including the NYC subways.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM

28 posts, read 112,153 times
Default Bad bad bad

It's almost 10pm and my husband is still at Penn trapped in the city since 5:30. Penn Station closed at one point and cops wouldn't let anyone near it. No LIRR spokesperson around to give out information or advice. My husband heard there was also no subway service on some lines and even if you got to jamaica somehow were there even any trains going east from there? the LIRR should have had someone at Penn answering questions and giving out information at the very least instead of shutting down entirely. What frustrates commuters most is the lack of communication from the LIRR.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 AM
grant516

n/a posts
When she came to the last public hearing on Long Island she arrived in a hired Towncar. She also left before the meeting ended, on account of that little courtesy she had and little faith in her own product- I think she's no good.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
When she came to the last public hearing on Long Island she arrived in a hired Towncar. She also left before the meeting ended, on account of that little courtesy she had and little faith in her own product- I think she's no good.
I suppose, I remember the last President showing up in a Ford Crown Vic. I guess the benefits got better?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 45,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I leave out of Brooklyn on a 545pm Babylon train. There was an initial announcement that a train was stuck at Nostrand Ave. Then shortly thereafter, they announced that due to weather conditions all service was suspended from Brooklyn. I decided to stay on my train while 75% of the people bolted to head up to Penn. About 20 minutes later they announced service was suspended from both Penn and Brooklyn. I suppose those people who left are still at Penn. My train left an hour late but had no problems. I realized it was bad when I hit my station and it was still filled with cars.

The LIRR can't be blamed for this but their announcements still are poor. They should have, at least, informed everyone of the severity of the storm and that it was affecting not only Brooklyn but the whole system including the NYC subways.
I was on the train that got stuck. 5:29 to Huntington. We ran over a billboard which got stuck under us. They had to shut off the third rail to remove the billboard. I arrived about 45 mins - 1 hour late. Says something when I was one of the luckiest ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island