U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM

373 posts, read 409,720 times

Advertisements

Growing up on Long Island, I know many friends parents who did not own their own business but worked a second job at nights and on the weekends because they were paying for their children’s college tuition or just needed more income to pay the bills.

Do you have a second job that you go to at nights and on the weekends?

What’s your primary profession and what is your second job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,546,859 times
Most people are grateful to have one job these days.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,180,353 times
By day, I am a training instructor for a local company. I train electricians, mechanics and such on equipment and federal workplace compliance. 2-3 nights a week I am a teacher for a technical school. I teach electrical courses there.

My wife stays home, not by choice, she's bored, but also has recurring medical issues. I need the second job, hoping its somewhat temporary.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,059,541 times
The great thing about the medical field someone almost always needs you. Durning the week in a hospital 9-7 then every other weekend at an east end hospital overnights.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

373 posts, read 409,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Most people are grateful to have one job these days.
Are you fully unemployed and looking for a job at the momment? I understand times are hard and many people are out of work and looking for a primary source of income.

That aside I think someone unemployed and looking for one single job would be reviewing much different jobs than someone looking for secondary income.

If I were out of work and needed to support a family I wouldn't be looking to washing dishes as my primary source of income. As it probably wouldn't cover all my bills and expenses. On the other hand someone making a normal salary could be looking to wash dishes in the evenings to subsidize their meager primary salary.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,546,859 times
No, I am currently employed.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,139,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
The great thing about the medical field someone almost always needs you. Durning the week in a hospital 9-7 then every other weekend at an east end hospital overnights.
They may need you but can they pay you? One day, if this economic deterioration keeps up, you may get paid in IOU's, chickens or garden vegetables. How many acorn squash will you accept?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,467,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
They may need you but can they pay you? One day, if this economic deterioration keeps up, you may get paid in IOU's, chickens or garden vegetables. How many acorn squash will you accept?
A bushel per person.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,059,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Yeah I know, this new HC issue is a big deal. Less money for more cases, never a good combo. It depends on the body part. Brains would be less than an abdomen/pelvis. I'd take some chickens I think someone in Smithtown had a few.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,827,135 times
When I was working a day-gig, I always freelanced on the side. Same stuff--writing and editing.

However, now that I'm freelancing full-time, I wouldn't mind a part-time job doing something completely different just to get out of the coop a couple of days or nights a week and be among the living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island