Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,689 times

Advertisements

"TheTown" hit the nail on the head. I'm new to this site and it's clear to me some of you "senior members" are either Realtors, or your idiots that deserve to lose your life savings. Either way "TheTown" and I will be there to pick your bones when the smoke clears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,689 times
"TheTown" hit the nail on the head. I'm new to this site and it's clear to me some of you "senior members" are either Realtors, or your idiots that deserve to lose your life savings. Either way "TheTown" and I will be there to pick your bones when the smoke clears.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM

764 posts, read 1,546,143 times
This is the time to buya CONDO not a hosue. I bought my condo for $150k with $540 a month mortgage (mortgage and taxes included) with 4.5 percent interest.

You cant beat that (with a TON of amenities ).

I live in a place that supposedly does not exist on long island.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,325,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTown View Post
Shadow Inventory, an Avalanche That's Coming Soon? - World Property Channel Global News Center

It'sa terrible time to buy when interest rates are low, like now. Realtors just lie without shame about this fundamental fact. House prices rose as interest rates fell, and house prices will fall as interest rates rise, because a fixed monthly payment covers a smaller mortgage at a higher interest rate. Since interest rates have nowhere to go but up, prices have nowhere to go but down. The way to win the game is to have cash on hand to buy outright at a low price when others cannot borrow very much because of high interest rates. Then you get a low price, and you get capital appreciation caused by future interest rate declines. To buy at a time of low interest rates and high prices like now is a mistake. It is far better to pay a low price with a high interest rate than a high price with a low interest rate, even if the mortgage payment is the same either wayA low price lets you pay it all off instead of being a debt-slave for the rest of your life. As interest rates rise, house prices must fall.Your property taxes will be lower with a low purchase price.Paying a high price now may trap you "under water", meaning you'll have a mortgage debt larger than the value of the house. Then you will not be able to refinance because then you'll have no equity, and will not be able to sell without a loss. Even if you get a long-term fixed rate mortgage, when rates inevitably go up the value of your property will go down. Paying a low price minimizes your damage.

Yeah, LI was AWESOME back in 1975 when interest rates were 16%.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBag View Post

Plenty of short sales and foreclosures around. Can't get cheaper than that.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
This is the time to buya CONDO not a hosue. I bought my condo for $150k with $540 a month mortgage (mortgage and taxes included) with 4.5 percent interest.

You cant beat that (with a TON of amenities ).

I live in a place that supposedly does not exist on long island.

If you find the right condo great. The wrong condo can really be a nightmare though. You need to read the fine print.
Not everyone wants to smell their neighbors farts.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM

324 posts, read 333,566 times
Lol scottzilla singing the same tune for the last 2 years. Let me guess, buy now because next year prices will go up, right Scott? One of these years you'll be right, but not this year

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,459,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Yeah, LI was AWESOME back in 1975 when interest rates were 16%.
Yep, but the houses were what, 1/10th of current and the interest on your bank account was around 10%. The only thing the fed has done by having interest rates this low is penalizing those people who are responsible and save.

So lets say that you and I both buy a home. Your house is $1000 and my house is $100, but I have a super-high interest rate and you have a super-low interest rate. Our monthly payments are the same. Every dollar I put towards my mortgage goes significantly farther then yours, and since I am not a moron I have a decent amount going into savings I can pay off the mortgage fairly quickly.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yep, but the houses were what, 1/10th of current and the interest on your bank account was around 10%. The only thing the fed has done by having interest rates this low is penalizing those people who are responsible and save.

So lets say that you and I both buy a home. Your house is $1000 and my house is $100, but I have a super-high interest rate and you have a super-low interest rate. Our monthly payments are the same. Every dollar I put towards my mortgage goes significantly farther then yours, and since I am not a moron I have a decent amount going into savings I can pay off the mortgage fairly quickly.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Lol scottzilla singing the same tune for the last 2 years. Let me guess, buy now because next year prices will go up, right Scott? One of these years you'll be right, but not this year
Don't paraphrase, QUOTE me. At least it will be accurate then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island