Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM

325 posts, read 734,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I do recall reading somewhere that the developers were to pay the school district $15 million, which would offset some expenses created by new students while the increased tax revenue from the newly developed formerly vacant parcel will contribute more as well.
It was $1.5m that they were attempting to bribe the school board with. The board withdrew support when they realized that paltry sum was not enough to offset potentially massive costs of the new students and the fact that the community was overwhelmingly opposed to the project.

I'll try to address your other points later this evening when I have more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,555,922 times
Elke - where was this project going to go? I only skimmed the last article but it didn't say - was it right over by the station?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM

325 posts, read 734,462 times
5th St and Park Ave, about .25 miles from the station. According Avalon's website, there would be a "safe, lighted walkway to the train station" - right through a deeply troubled neighborhood where there are now shootings every other week. I have no problem using the station after dark, but I'm not sure many people would to to stray too far from the parking lot on foot, let alone do it daily.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,580,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
It was $1.5m that they were attempting to bribe the school board with. The board withdrew support when they realized that paltry sum was not enough to offset potentially massive costs of the new students and the fact that the community was overwhelmingly opposed to the project.

I'll try to address your other points later this evening when I have more time.
My BIG error with the decimal point.

$1.5 mil is chicken feed.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
5th St and Park Ave, about .25 miles from the station. According Avalon's website, there would be a "safe, lighted walkway to the train station" - right through a deeply troubled neighborhood where there are now shootings every other week. I have no problem using the station after dark, but I'm not sure many people would to to stray too far from the parking lot on foot, let alone do it daily.
Very good point!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,042,959 times
Quote:
I believe you had written a few posts back that the project was to be 80% rental with 20% owner occupied for only one out of five units having a resident with a vested interest in the community. Downsize the project (trying to recall -- it was for 520 units?) to 300-350 units. Make it 30 to 40% owner occupied.

Were any of the units in this project being offered as studios or one bedrooms which would be appealing to young singles, newly marrieds, retirees, etc?
The original proposal was scaled down from 520 units to 490 units, with the unit mix as follows:

141 one-bedroom units
244 two-bedroom units
105 three-bedroom units
This brought the housing density to over 18 units per acre.

Huntington Station already has higher density housing around the Station: The Eagle Rock Apartments on the N/E corner of Pulaski and Lenox Rd., The Whitman Co-op Village on Lowndes Ave, and the Highridge Co-op development on the N/E corner of Broadway and Pulaski

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

22,118 posts, read 19,333,974 times
Quote:
If Avalon Bay had passed, would you have rented within that community?

Seeing it didn't pass, would you consider renting/sharing a house in that area?

I am trying to get into the frame of mind of a younger, single person who is in your situation. It wasn't as bad when I was a young renter, but there were some real cruddy legal apartments which fell into the 'affordable' range.

I'm generally happy where I am now, but if it did pass I likely would have considered it if I chose to leave where I am now. Probably would not consider that area without it being there.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,197,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I am new to the area so I don't know the whole history but in talking to people around here, that seems to have been a concern. Who was going to rent these places? I personally do not feel that Huntington Station is so bad. I think it has problems and if they were addressed then we could see a huge improvement in the area.

People told me that they were going to build it and it would turn Section 8. That was their perception. And they felt that was not going to improve the area. Also that the rentals were overpriced (something like 2k for a 2 BR) and who would pay those prices when you could rent a house for that amount?

Also the point of these apartments were to have them within walking distance to the train. Yet as Elke points out, would you want to walk it? .6 miles is a 10 minute walk for most people.
1. This has indeed happened to co-op/condo complexes on LI ... if too many apartments fail to sell pretty soon the management is taking Section 8 and the QOL can go way down for the rest of the residents who are stuck there with mortgages, property taxes and maintenance payments. Case in point: Artist Lake/Fairview in Middle Island.

Fairview at Artist Lake Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Middle Island apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Quote:
We came into the older units in 2006 and what started off as "okay" has become a ghetto. We WISH we never made this move or that we can get out of this condo but unfortunately, not like many, we own it. Too bad we don't just sit on our --- and let the government pay for it like MOST of our neighbors. They don't give a ---- about anything. We are surrounded by losers that are perfectly capable of working but don't lift a finger except to spend their food stamps.
2. How is THAT rent supposed to be affordable housing by any stretch of the imagination? Or are only the "lucky ones" going to have to pay that rate when others pay much less? Yeah sure ... who would want to move in there knowing that.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,571,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Isn't there a 4th option?
Whatever happened to renting, if necessary with a roommate?
Of course if Mommy and Daddy can't let go, that's another story entirely...

I believed I covered that Elki,you have to read the whole thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Over here it has to suck being stuck with your parents unable to move except perhaps to some moldy illegal basement apt or a 1 bedroom place that you share a house with.
.In addition The influx of new blood to the huntingstation area will go a long way towards settling the areas woes but I imagine that since your a real estate agent your views may be a bit biased.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm generally happy where I am now, but if it did pass I likely would have considered it if I chose to leave where I am now. Probably would not consider that area without it being there.
Thank you for your reply

I wonder how many other young people in your situation are thinking along the same line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island