Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times

Advertisements

nor would I, but I was asking about the population overall, not the students actually attending the public schools (even there, are you sure that Reform Jews (there must still be a few in 5t) and unaffliated Jews and gentiles together dont outnumber the Conservative Jews in the 5T public schools?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Where Jews affiliated with Conservative synagogues (including USCJ affiliates, but also synagogues that call themselves conservative or Masorti but dont affiliate with USCJ) are the majorty? Surely, LI must have at least one?
From my experience, the majority of so-called Conservative Jews -- those who are members of a Conservative synagogue -- are Conservative in name only, and should be classified as secular, non-observant, rather than Conservative.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times
I'm not going to get into THAT issue here (in fact most Conservative affiliated Jews are not secular non-observant - they are Reform, and their level of observance - fasting on YK, two seders, at least thinking about giving up ham (in my home shul in VA probably over 50% dont eat ham, but we may be more observant than most C shuls) would delight a Reform rabbi who had a congregation like that)

I am asking ONLY about Conservative Synagogue affiliation.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
Default great jewish neighborhoods in LI

I grew up in the Five Towns and it was predominantly reform and conservative jews. An amazing place to grow up then - late 70s to early 2000s - this generation has since fled for the most part to nearby towns on the south shore and north shore. Five Towns is now predominantly orthodox jews. The public system is almost extinct as most children now go to private schools, yeshiva. It is still a beautiful place to live but this is something to consider if you expect to find conservative jews and a thriving neighborhood, you will be disappointed. Some great towns in Long Island that are primarily conservative jewish communities and have top notch public school systems are: Merrick, Oceanside, Woodbury, Dix Hills, Plainview. You would need to specifically look in certain "sections" of these neighborhoods to find what you are looking for but these are just a few of the most desirable currently.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 AM

130 posts, read 383,757 times
I second Plainview. It's a great town and has a great school system. I loved growing up there. And pretty much most of my classmates last names were Jewish and if they weren't, they were most likely half-Jewish lol.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 AM

19,104 posts, read 16,908,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I say Masorti even though most of you dont know what it means cause if I just say Conservative some folks will think I mean Jews against Obamacare, or whatever.

So any LI school district where the gentiles plus Reform and Orthodox and unaffiliated and Reconstructionist and Jewish Renewal Jews together are less than 50% of the population? Where Jews affiliated with Conservative synagogues (including USCJ affiliates, but also synagogues that call themselves conservative or Masorti but dont affiliate with USCJ) are the majorty? Surely, LI must have at least one?
When I grew up you were either Reformed, Conservative, Orthodox or Hassidic, I can't keep up with all the new varieties of being Jewish....

Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,623,585 times
Quote:
When I grew up you were either Reformed, Conservative, Orthodox or Hassidic, I can't keep up with all the new varieties of being Jewish....
Well you might as well add Conservadox. Where you can be to Left and to Right at the same time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservadox_Judaism

Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM

852 posts, read 1,436,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It all seems so complicated to me, as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,949,286 times
Maybe the Roslyn school district? Two conservative synagogues, small school district - 3 elementary, 1 middle and one high school.

Are you familiar with Saul Schecter Conservative Day School on LI? All grades.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 AM

11,582 posts, read 12,601,028 times
Why do people keep giving information to answer questions that were posted over 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island