Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM

94 posts, read 255,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The school taxes in Massapequa is higher than last year. What pequaman was referring to was that the tax increase was less than it was originally thought it was going to be.

Also one thing to keep in mind is the change in assessment compared to others in the district also figure into this.

You went from an assessed value of 1,211 for last years taxes, (which means a value of $484,000 in Jan of 08, and 1,111 for this years taxes (which means a value of $444,000 is Jan of 09). You had a $40,000 decrease in value (or about 8%) from Jan 08 to Jan 09, most homes decreased by a larger amount than that, so your increase in taxes % wise was actually more than increase in taxes in the district as a whole. If your home declined by more than most homes in the district, your increase in school taxes would have been less than the district as a whole.

Just looked up my parents old house in the Massapequa district. They went from an assessed value of $1,177 to $1,001 (or $470,000 to $400,400). So from a similar starting point as you, but a larger decrease in value. The increase in taxes (pre-star) was $235.

Not sure why I didnt drop as much as all my neighbors, but hey I guess I can wait until January and start the grieving process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,732,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Wait a conservative talking about renewable energy, shocked
lol. An anomaly right? I do believe in self-sustainability.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM

22,156 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Not sure why I didnt drop as much as all my neighbors, but hey I guess I can wait until January and start the grieving process.
You won't be able to grieve the taxes for next year, what you could do is grieve if you think your assessed value in Jan 2011 (which would not be for taxes until the 2012-13 school year) are too high.

As far as why it didn't drop as much as the rest of Massapequa, couple possibilities. One thing they take into consideration is comp values, the homes in your immediate area quite simply may not have seen as large of a drop as large as the rest of the area.

Its also possible that in Jan of 2008 your assessed was still actually below market value. During the huge run up in home values, assessment increases were actually capped at 6% a year, and 20% over 5 years. Homes up until 2006 were increasing at a much higher clip than that. This left a gap between the assessed value and what the actual market value of the home was, which took several years to catch up. Most homes were caught up by the 2008 values (which would be for last year's taxes), but a difference still existed in some. So its possible you could have had an assessed value of $484,000, but an actual market value of closer to $500,000.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,029 times
What a racket. My school taxes went up $200 even though enrollments are DOWN and there were supposed layoffs and retirement incentives.
$2400/yr=my small contribution to the Superintendent's $320,000 salary and subsequent pension based on that rate. My friend is a the chief anesthesiologist at a hospital and after insurance I don't think he rakes in $320K plus a guaranteed pension and medical for life. Boy, what a dumb career move he made. Could have been an ambitious biology teacher instead and hit the gravy train. This is not a swipe at teachers, but these administrator's are wayyy overcompensated for what they do.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM

152 posts, read 398,874 times
My School Taxes went up about $750! About $560 of that increase goes directly into the greedy teachers pockets!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM

70 posts, read 137,789 times
wowie...I'm saving a whopping 32.86 on my school taxes here in Baldwin. I want to shoot someone. I'd like to wring Gulotta's neck. I curse him....wherever he is.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Default You're looking in the wrong direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errin1 View Post
wowie...I'm saving a whopping 32.86 on my school taxes here in Baldwin. I want to shoot someone. I'd like to wring Gulotta's neck. I curse him....wherever he is.
It is not Gulotta's fault (or the fault of any current or former County Executive) that your property taxes are sky high!

The fact is that 65-70% of your property tax dollars go to the SCHOOL DISTRICT your home is zoned for. The County (and Town) only get 30-35% of your total property tax dollars.

So, now you know who gets the most money by far: the school district. Now out of that money they get, 85% of it goes towards salaries, pensions and benefits for teachers, superintendants and administrators. Everybody (kids) and everything (facilities, maintenance, supplies, equipment, etc.) makes do with the scraps of that money (15%).

Whose necks you should be wringing are:
  • The school superintendant

The school board

The teachers' union

They are the ones who give away the store to the teachers. The administrators and superintendants use those super-generous union contracts as an excuse to compensate themselves like rock stars ("we SUPERVISE the teachers so we should have even MORE than they get!").

Also please note that when you are voting on a school budget, you do not get to vote on 85% of that budget (teacher, superintendant and administrator salaries, perks, benefits, pensions). You only get to vote on the scraps of the money (the remaining 15% where everything else in the school budget has to come from).

The people in charge of this and most important to it all are the SCHOOL BOARDS. They are the ones rubberstamping the union contracts for the teachers and giving away the store. They are the reason your property taxes are sky high and will still go up even if the County declares "NO TAX INCREASES." Remember, the County can say no tax increases, but they only have control of around 30% of your real estate tax money. So the best you can hope for is no tax increases on 30% of your property taxes.

Your best bet to DECREASING or at least STABILIZING property taxes is to VOTE OUT alll the school board members (usually insiders whose loyalties lie with the teachers and administrators) and VOTE IN school board members whose loyalties lie with the TAXPAYERS and who are not inclined to keep throwing fistfuls of taxpayer money at teachers, superintendents and administrators.

Now tell everyone you know in Baldwin that the school board has to go.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM

283 posts, read 579,843 times
The house we are purchasing when up $680

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM

70 posts, read 137,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It is not Gulotta's fault (or the fault of any current or former County Executive) that your property taxes are sky high!

The fact is that 65-70% of your property tax dollars go to the SCHOOL DISTRICT your home is zoned for. The County (and Town) only get 30-35% of your total property tax dollars.

So, now you know who gets the most money by far: the school district. Now out of that money they get, 85% of it goes towards salaries, pensions and benefits for teachers, superintendants and administrators. Everybody (kids) and everything (facilities, maintenance, supplies, equipment, etc.) makes do with the scraps of that money (15%).

Whose necks you should be wringing are:
  • The school superintendant

The school board

The teachers' union

They are the ones who give away the store to the teachers. The administrators and superintendants use those super-generous union contracts as an excuse to compensate themselves like rock stars ("we SUPERVISE the teachers so we should have even MORE than they get!").

Also please note that when you are voting on a school budget, you do not get to vote on 85% of that budget (teacher, superintendant and administrator salaries, perks, benefits, pensions). You only get to vote on the scraps of the money (the remaining 15% where everything else in the school budget has to come from).

The people in charge of this and most important to it all are the SCHOOL BOARDS. They are the ones rubberstamping the union contracts for the teachers and giving away the store. They are the reason your property taxes are sky high and will still go up even if the County declares "NO TAX INCREASES." Remember, the County can say no tax increases, but they only have control of around 30% of your real estate tax money. So the best you can hope for is no tax increases on 30% of your property taxes.

Your best bet to DECREASING or at least STABILIZING property taxes is to VOTE OUT alll the school board members (usually insiders whose loyalties lie with the teachers and administrators) and VOTE IN school board members whose loyalties lie with the TAXPAYERS and who are not inclined to keep throwing fistfuls of taxpayer money at teachers, superintendents and administrators.

Now tell everyone you know in Baldwin that the school board has to go.
I agree with some of what you posted but the schools don't get all of the blame either. Gulotta did nothing to fix the poorly run county government, spending was out of control during his watch. He refused to do battle with the greedy unions, how about the amount of money Gulotta borrowed during his tenure to close budget gaps instead of eliminating the county bloat???...and his unwillingness to try to fix tax assessments?? We're still paying for his folly.

I make it a point to vote no for the school budgets because IMHO they WASTE a lot of the money and the children are the last to benefit.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,732,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Hey ac1122, not sure if you saw my Question. What did your taxes do last year?
I can't see that they went up that much last year right or the year before that? my guess is next year you are going to see a decrease because your last assessment was too high maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island