U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM

43 posts, read 48,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
I took the Merrick to Merrick Ave way today actually.. haha. That was bad too. Today was especially bad, so I am just venting my frustration. Believe me, I defend Long Island all the time. I usually don't bash it at all. It's just that, something needs to be done with traffic.

This got me thinking.... Why can't they build a monorail that connects Freeport LIRR to Westbury LIRR? It just has to go up the Meadowbrook parkway. It can stop at the Mall, Hofstra and Coliseum. barely any residential will get touched.
1. A "monorail" is not viable for such a route. If Freeport and Westbury were filled with twenty and thirty storey towers it might be doable. The routing along the parkway still wouldn't make sense though because it would not reach large concentrations of activity, just the residents and occasionaly businesses that lay along the right of way. If anything, such a system would have to be routed along major all-access street, such as Merrick Avenue or Nassau Road. Not too likely. Best case scenerio for rail transit would involve light rail. A dedicated route, i.e., the Air Train from JFK to Jamaica LIRR is unsupportable within the semi urban landscape of Nassau County. There would not be enough people loading from either terminall.

2. Are you aware of the extant transit options from the south shore to northern destinations? They certainly exist. Every station on the Babylon LIRR branch is served by buses going to numerous centers of employment and retail. Babylon has seven different routes stopping at the station, going to Patchogue, Hauppauge, West Babylon, Plainview, Melville, Huntington RR, Levittown, Uniondale, Hempstead, Bay Shore, Deer Park and many other locations. Amityville has direct Route 110 service, with buses every 15 minutes during rush hours, going into Farmingdale and Mellville. And it has connections to central Nassau and Hempstead. Massapequa Park, Massapequa and Wantagh have direct service to Hicksville, Merrick and Bellmore, service to Westbury, East Meadow. These stations are all east of Freeport. From Freeport to Lynbrook, there is multiple service to Hempstead, Garden City, Mineola, Westbury. Basically, just take any of the frequent trains that stop at Rockville Center and don't even worry about schedules if you wish to go to Mineola or Westbury. The buses run on very short headways, ten minutes or less.

3. The major impediment to increasing transit service on Long Island is the unwillingness of most residents to utilize it. Buses are an anathema to us in suburbia. Only "they" ride it. This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Although lower transit ridership can be partially blamed on the generally population density here than in neighboring Queens, the lack of enthusiasm for riding with strangers is a stronger reason.

4. If more people were willing to use the existing transit services, these services would get better. But there won't be any monorails getting built. There could be light rail vehicles running along a few major arterials like Hempstead Turnpike or Old Country Road or Route 110 at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,318,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Anytime you people who drive to work want to trade with a LIRR commuter, you will have many takers. I don't like driving in traffic but lets face it...you are comfortable in your car, no blond brainless soccer mom yacking on a cell phone in the seat next to you, your satellite radio playing your favorite music, your coffee in the car mug all nice and warm, and your two hour commute (on a bad day) barely longer than a commuters time on a good day.

Stop complaining.
This.

And the $$. LIRR monthly for me is up to $232 a month and next year the prices are going up 19%. I'd take traffic headaches over this sh*t anyday.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,318,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
Long Beach to Carle Place. It usually takes me 25 minutes tops. Much less than your average NY commute.

I leave work at 4 and I pull into my driveway at 4:20 sometimes. It's the commute in the morning that is killing both me and my wife who commutes to garden city. she is actually thinking of quitting her job and working in the city because she would rather take the LIRR.
I WISH I got home @ 4:20. No one who works in the city gets home that early. Last night...8pm.

I actually want to work on the island. I can't afford the commute anymore b/c I am pretty sure that when the prices go up 19%, I wont be getting a 19% raise.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 AM

189 posts, read 388,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrainride View Post
4. If more people were willing to use the existing transit services, these services would get better. But there won't be any monorails getting built. There could be light rail vehicles running along a few major arterials like Hempstead Turnpike or Old Country Road or Route 110 at some point.

What's the difference between a monorail and light rail?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Okay- some sentiments on this topic from a Transit buff who eventually did leave LI, and blames the entirety of its woes on transit problems.

- Roads with poor interchanges coupling with poor drivers makes up the BULK of unnecessary LI traffic.
In reality, straight conduits should never SEE traffic unless there are accidents, overflow, or construction- but ONRAMPS on many parts of the Northern State, LIE swaps from 4 to 3 lanes, and HORRIBLE short off ramps, like 28AN on the Southern State and maybe exit 17 on the Southern are ultimately the cause of unncessary merging and thus traffic. Transit experts and reports have detailed these problems but little can be done to fix it, since no roads can be closed for extended periods.

-The LIRR is designed only to get people to Penn Station and Jamaica at 6-10AM, and bring them home at 4-8. Intraisland transit does not exist, and is NOT cost effective. LI bus goes few routes, I can't speak for Suffolk but they don't suffer 1/2 in as bad traffic as a whole.

-Robert Moses built the initial infrastructure with a population cap in mind. We have more than tripled that population cap, doubled the amount within that population who owns cars and have added next to no roads.

I offer no real solutions for the OP, since it's a farce to even imagine you'll ever see any- but one that DID alleviate some of these issues was the ORIGINAL lighthouse project.
Mass Transit would finally be available to the Roosevelt Field Mall and NCC, which is the general cause of Backup on the Meadowbrook (it reaches to the northern and southern states daily during school/work days).

However, on the most recent Lighthouse environmental impact study Kate Murray and the ToH told Wang this would have an adverse effect on Traffic, and what the company expected to do about it.

If you ask me, the TOWN is responsible for infrastructure, but people in LI are both afraid and resentful of growth- IMHO because they have no idea how to do it right.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM

43 posts, read 48,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Okay- some sentiments on this topic from a Transit buff who eventually did leave LI, and blames the entirety of its woes on transit problems.

- Roads with poor interchanges coupling with poor drivers makes up the BULK of unnecessary LI traffic.
In reality, straight conduits should never SEE traffic unless there are accidents, overflow, or construction- but ONRAMPS on many parts of the Northern State, LIE swaps from 4 to 3 lanes, and HORRIBLE short off ramps, like 28AN on the Southern State and maybe exit 17 on the Southern are ultimately the cause of unncessary merging and thus traffic. Transit experts and reports have detailed these problems but little can be done to fix it, since no roads can be closed for extended periods.

-The LIRR is designed only to get people to Penn Station and Jamaica at 6-10AM, and bring them home at 4-8. Intraisland transit does not exist, and is NOT cost effective. LI bus goes few routes, I can't speak for Suffolk but they don't suffer 1/2 in as bad traffic as a whole.

-Robert Moses built the initial infrastructure with a population cap in mind. We have more than tripled that population cap, doubled the amount within that population who owns cars and have added next to no roads.

I offer no real solutions for the OP, since it's a farce to even imagine you'll ever see any- but one that DID alleviate some of these issues was the ORIGINAL lighthouse project.
Mass Transit would finally be available to the Roosevelt Field Mall and NCC, which is the general cause of Backup on the Meadowbrook (it reaches to the northern and southern states daily during school/work days).

However, on the most recent Lighthouse environmental impact study Kate Murray and the ToH told Wang this would have an adverse effect on Traffic, and what the company expected to do about it.

If you ask me, the TOWN is responsible for infrastructure, but people in LI are both afraid and resentful of growth- IMHO because they have no idea how to do it right.

The limitations of the entrances and exits on the parkways is indeed a traffic producing element. Although not unsurmountable.

The LIRR is mainly used during the rush hours but there is nothing to preclude it's usage during other times, and for destinations other than the CBDs. Reverse commuting, et al, is possible, and the road does have large numbers of riders going to places like Hicksville, Mineola, Rockville Centre, Freeport, Farmingdale, Deer Park, etc.

I don't think Moses built the parkways with some type of planned population cap in mind. He did mean for them to be used mainly as routes to beaches and other parks though. If there had been some type of rigid planning goals enforced in the decades following their construction, with the idea of keeping large areas of the island undeveloped, they might have remained as recreational conduits. But when developers were "allowed" to build near every exit and entrance, the current pattern of development was the result.

Intra-Island transit does exist. You mention service to Roosevelt Field Mall and NCC. RFM is served by seven different bus routes. It is a very easy task to arrange to travel there by transit for the majority of the population of Nassau County.

It all depends on what individuals are willing to do. If you aren't willing to, say, drive to a parking location close to your residence, or walk to the nearest stop, and take a bus to your destination, you will simply be adding more traffic to the crowded island roadways.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM

12,344 posts, read 13,755,645 times
Maybe the LIRR should restore lines , like on this map ....

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM

189 posts, read 388,192 times
Robert Moses actually didn't know how to drive, yet he build our parkways for leisure driving. There is no reason why Southern State Parkway is so curvy and why the meadowbrook hugs so many ponds - south of hempstead Tpke. In fact, a lot of natural beauty on Long Island isn't part of any community - they are all sandwiched between parkways.

Hempstead Lake is between Southern State, Peninsula Blvd & a fence.

Look at Robert Moses last example if this when he put Flushing Meadows Park in Queens between Grand Central, LIE & Van Wyke. That big beautiful park isn't part of any community and you really need a car to get to it. I know, I used to live in Queens right near that park and it took me forever just to ride my bike to it, when I was able to see it practically across the street.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM

231 posts, read 524,888 times
The traffic the past month since school started has been the worst for me in the 20 years that I have been driving on LI. I said to my wife the other day - I don't know what is going on, but I have never sat in so many jams/delays in my life. no matter what route I take - it's bad. My commute has been almost double the time it usually it takes.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrainride View Post
The limitations of the entrances and exits on the parkways is indeed a traffic producing element. Although not unsurmountable.

The LIRR is mainly used during the rush hours but there is nothing to preclude it's usage during other times, and for destinations other than the CBDs. Reverse commuting, et al, is possible, and the road does have large numbers of riders going to places like Hicksville, Mineola, Rockville Centre, Freeport, Farmingdale, Deer Park, etc.

I don't think Moses built the parkways with some type of planned population cap in mind. He did mean for them to be used mainly as routes to beaches and other parks though. If there had been some type of rigid planning goals enforced in the decades following their construction, with the idea of keeping large areas of the island undeveloped, they might have remained as recreational conduits. But when developers were "allowed" to build near every exit and entrance, the current pattern of development was the result.

Intra-Island transit does exist. You mention service to Roosevelt Field Mall and NCC. RFM is served by seven different bus routes. It is a very easy task to arrange to travel there by transit for the majority of the population of Nassau County.

It all depends on what individuals are willing to do. If you aren't willing to, say, drive to a parking location close to your residence, or walk to the nearest stop, and take a bus to your destination, you will simply be adding more traffic to the crowded island roadways.
Read The Master Planner for more info on the Population Cap. The roads and low overpasses were certainly designed with the intention that Nassau would NEVER be nearly as big as it was. It was one of those, if you don't build it- they won't come.

Also a MAJOR component was the 135 to 278 cross sound extension that remains unbuilt. For this reason the LIE/Northern can NEVER close down for major construction (in Nassau) as there is no alternative for commercial traffic. Without a doubt if Moses was around today, this would still be his #1 priority.

The Majority of Nassau County DOES NOT live within walking distance on one of those 7 lines that goes to the Mall, or even fewer that go to NCC. For nearly all of those that do, given gasoline at a cost of $2.85 a gallon, a car that gets 19mph, it is STILL cheaper to drive than round trip bus- not to mention the bus is subsidized now by Payroll Tax in this County.

The MTA makes NO attempt to soothe Nassau's traffic problem by encouraging public transportation. During the Katrina gas hike they promoted their service, but the few uses that are effective are still to far and afew.

It isn't just a negative stigma. The system of public transit intra-island in Nassau is awful, and more expensive than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island