Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:19 AM

44 posts, read 33,185 times

Advertisements

Farmingdale may be a decent alternative. The downtown area of the village is nowhere near as nice as Huntington, but it's a much better commute for all 3 of you. If you live in the village you'll be within walking distance to a number of very good restaurants, some good bars that have crowds (croxley ales, Library, Nutty Irishman), you'll be central to most of LI, and your rent won't be as expensive. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Farmingdale is a good bet too.

Huntington is one hour by train to the city, 30 minutes to mid-Nassau (did that commute for a couple of years, Huntington to Mineola) and 30 minutes to mid-Suffolk, closer if you are talking about, say, Hauppauge (dad did that commute for years from Huntington).

But I don't really care one way or another, it's not like I own Huntington or even live there. Just talking about what I know.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I somewhat agree with the previous poster; however, in Huntington you will not be close to the train AND close to the LIE AND close to bars/restaurants...in fact, you won't want to live walking distance to the Huntington Train Station.

Also, I think Long Beach is way too far from a mid Suffolk workplace. I worked with a guy in eastern Nassau whose commute from there was almost 45 minutes.

Don't know enough about Babylon; not sure how close it is to LIE, probably no further than downtown Huntington though.
Long Beach to Suffolk is obviously not close but depending on where you work it might end up that most of the commute is stress free sailing on Ocean Parkway.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Your ideal that you name doesn't exist- it's why almost everyone your age has gotten the hell away from LI.

Hicksville, NY is the only place that meets all those criteria.

There are bars and restaurants within 3 blocks of the station as well as outside the Mall which is just blocks away from the train station.

While the bar scene may not get as much credibility as Huntington, in the greater scheme of the world Huntington is still as pathetic as the rest of the towns named. If you are in your mid twenties I'd live as far west as you can, NYCs nightlife (while also on the stale side these days) is still an improvement over LI.

Train to Penn is 45 minutes tops.

You are less than 5 blocks from the Northern and LIE.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
There is no way Huntington is a 1 hr commute to the city. By the time you drive to the station, park, walk to the train, take the train to Penn and then get to your NYC location, it's going to be over 1.5 hours for most people door to door. It's a pain.

You are much better off living in Mineola. It's centrally located to everything...you can go to any of the fun towns in LI like Long Beach, Huntington, RV Center, Bayside (Queens). You also have a 38 minute train ride to Penn.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM

189 posts, read 632,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Long Beach to Suffolk is obviously not close but depending on where you work it might end up that most of the commute is stress free sailing on Ocean Parkway.
I second this. You will have one of the nicest commutes with no traffic.
But, Huntington might be your best bet for all three of you.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM

189 posts, read 632,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
You are much better off living in Mineola. It's centrally located to everything...you can go to any of the fun towns in LI like Long Beach, Huntington, RV Center, Bayside (Queens). You also have a 38 minute train ride to Penn.

Give Mineola about 3 years and it will be a great alternative to Huntington. It's almost there. The village mayor basically said that he wants young people there and they are putting up a few high rise buildings to do it.

The downtown is old and needs more excitement. A population spark could do that.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Babylon would work but man, that local train is slow.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
If you must be on Long Island, I'd also go with Huntington, as its nightlife caters very much to people your age and it is an easy commute (I do it daily). However, I think you'd probably be better off in Brooklyn or Queens. Living near the BQE or LIE (maybe Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Woodside?). You'll be doing a reverse commute, so traffic will be much lighter getting out to Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
If you must be on Long Island, I'd also go with Huntington, as its nightlife caters very much to people your age and it is an easy commute (I do it daily). However, I think you'd probably be better off in Brooklyn or Queens. Living near the BQE or LIE (maybe Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Woodside?). You'll be doing a reverse commute, so traffic will be much lighter getting out to Nassau and Suffolk.
Williamsburgh is a dump...run by 20-year-old hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island