U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,734 posts, read 15,993,514 times
Reputation: 6376
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
How was this not the lead story on News 12? This teacher should be excommunicated by the church and burned at the stake for the witch she is!

There IS a story on the news about a teacher in the NYC schools that had sex with one of his underage students and has nude pictures of others. When one of the parents whose child goes to the school the teacher worked at was asked what she thought, her reply was "I'm not happy about it, but it's not like he showed Cinderella to the class."

Have the children who had to bear witness to that satanic movie been offered counseling yet? I can only imagine the nightmares those kids are having...my heart aches for them. The trauma they must have experienced while being forced to watch that perversion is undescribable and unimaginable.

Thank you Deadpool...thank you from the bottom of my heart. So much publicity is given to problems in the schools these days. Problems like drugs, bullying, underage drinking, unprotected sex and the hard economic times the schools are facing, like all of us. But YOU....YOU my friend have uncovered and exposed the worst kind of teacher there is. YOU have shown us the demonic things that happen in the classroom that we don't normally get to hear about. God bless you sir! If it weren't for people like yourself this world would be a dark, cold, desolate place. The fact that you could find the time out of your incredibly busy schedule...one in which you take no breaks from work and one in which you spend an enormously amount of quality time with your family, in order to come to the aid of a neighbor in desperate, almost life threatening danger who needed you so badly to come to her rescue is astounding. The fact that this had nothing to do with you directly, or anyone in your family and yet you still did this detailed investigation could be considered angelic. You are a hero sir, and just as I do for people who are about to rock, I salute you.
When I got to the part I bolded I literally spit my coffee out of my mouth!

Bruce, I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around some.

You, good sir, are a master of high sarcasm as an art form!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM
 
4,502 posts, read 7,700,833 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
How was this not the lead story on News 12? This teacher should be excommunicated by the church and burned at the stake for the witch she is!

There IS a story on the news about a teacher in the NYC schools that had sex with one of his underage students and has nude pictures of others. When one of the parents whose child goes to the school the teacher worked at was asked what she thought, her reply was "I'm not happy about it, but it's not like he showed Cinderella to the class."

Have the children who had to bear witness to that satanic movie been offered counseling yet? I can only imagine the nightmares those kids are having...my heart aches for them. The trauma they must have experienced while being forced to watch that perversion is undescribable and unimaginable.

Thank you Deadpool...thank you from the bottom of my heart. So much publicity is given to problems in the schools these days. Problems like drugs, bullying, underage drinking, unprotected sex and the hard economic times the schools are facing, like all of us. But YOU....YOU my friend have uncovered and exposed the worst kind of teacher there is. YOU have shown us the demonic things that happen in the classroom that we don't normally get to hear about. God bless you sir! If it weren't for people like yourself this world would be a dark, cold, desolate place. The fact that you could find the time out of your incredibly busy schedule...one in which you take no breaks from work and one in which you spend an enormously amount of quality time with your family, in order to come to the aid of a neighbor in desperate, almost life threatening danger who needed you so badly to come to her rescue is astounding. The fact that this had nothing to do with you directly, or anyone in your family and yet you still did this detailed investigation could be considered angelic. You are a hero sir, and just as I do for people who are about to rock, I salute you.

LOVE this post!!!! Wish I could rep you but it's telling me to spread rep points around before I can rep you again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
9,984 posts, read 17,676,298 times
Reputation: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I heard today that Dickinson Avenue School 3rd graders are watching Disney films in class. They get to watch movies for being good. They get to watch movies to help celebrate holidays.

Evidently, doing what you aren't supposed to like (learning) is rewarded with what you are expected to like (sitting slack-jawed, watching cartoons). This tells me a lot about the teacher's approach to and attitude about learning.

I'll remember this next time I vote for a school budget proposal. This teacher is likely paid about $80k, and is no more creative than a reel-changer at the Odeon 6.

And keep in mind when I say this, I'm no tea sipper. I don't drink Kool-Aid either.
do we have any proof that the showing of disney films in class is directly contributing to the children not learning what's on the curriculum? it would help bolster your argument if some instances were presented that proved that the showing of these movies were causing kids to be left back a grade, for example. or if the class was reading below their grade level as a result of watching disney films as a reward.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 AM
 
4,502 posts, read 7,700,833 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
do we have any proof that the showing of disney films in class is directly contributing to the children not learning what's on the curriculum? it would help bolster your argument if some instances were presented that proved that the showing of these movies were causing kids to be left back a grade, for example. or if the class was reading below their grade level as a result of watching disney films as a reward.

Of course there isn't. The original post is (supposedly) heresay from a neighbor, although I suspect it's the OP's child, school, grade, and teacher or he wouldn't be so adamant about getting this teacher burned at the stake or publicly stoned for such a horrible and evil act.

Showing a bunch of 8 year olds ONE movie as a reward isn't going to hurt them in any way, shape, or form although, by all the postings here by the OP, you would think this has completely destroyed their educations and any chance that any of them had of getting into Harvard or Yale.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
 
1 posts, read 462 times
Reputation: 16
Seriously? On what planet do public school teachers make 80 k? If you have an objection to an occasional movie day then why not share it in a constructive way with your child's teacher and volunteer to help with field day activities or some other reward you feel is more constructive? As a parent, PTA president and substitute teacher, I have seen, over and over again, how those quick to complain and go on personal attacks are also the last ones to be willing to be a volunteer or supporter or in any way part of the solution.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,734 posts, read 15,993,514 times
Reputation: 6376
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggpie View Post
Seriously? On what planet do public school teachers make 80 k? If you have an objection to an occasional movie day then why not share it in a constructive way with your child's teacher and volunteer to help with field day activities or some other reward you feel is more constructive? As a parent, PTA president and substitute teacher, I have seen, over and over again, how those quick to complain and go on personal attacks are also the last ones to be willing to be a volunteer or supporter or in any way part of the solution.
On "Planet Long Island, NY" they do ... and many make much more ... for their less than fulltime, vacation laden schedules.

Go to SeeThroughNy.com | Home and look up the annual salaries of all the teachers you know. Then look up the annual (state tax free) pensions of all the retired teachers you know.

Then get back to us.

BTW, nice necromancing. Why this thread of all the threads?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: New York
208 posts, read 227,799 times
Reputation: 65
it was a Movie we watched more movies in High School then i can remember
-
JFK
Bang Bang Your Dead
My cuzin Vinny
The Grid Iron Gang
LumberJack
The Longest yard (2005) It stinks by the way
The Green Mile



You make it sound like she was Smoking Pot
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,692 posts, read 15,366,938 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggpie View Post
Seriously? On what planet do public school teachers make 80 k? If you have an objection to an occasional movie day then why not share it in a constructive way with your child's teacher and volunteer to help with field day activities or some other reward you feel is more constructive? As a parent, PTA president and substitute teacher, I have seen, over and over again, how those quick to complain and go on personal attacks are also the last ones to be willing to be a volunteer or supporter or in any way part of the solution.

My district has $100K+ elementary school teachers, $150K (retired last year) gym teachers. The lion's share of district-wide teaching staff is over the $100K mark.

As a parent, PTA volunteer and hardworking, taxpayer (67% of property tax going to school) I have the right to question what my employee (the teacher) constitutes a constructive reward.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,692 posts, read 15,366,938 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
On "Planet Long Island, NY" they do ... and many make much more ... for their less than fulltime, vacation laden schedules.

Go to SeeThroughNy.com | Home and look up the annual salaries of all the teachers you know. Then look up the annual (state tax free) pensions of all the retired teachers you know.

Then get back to us.

BTW, nice necromancing. Why this thread of all the threads?
Clients, a pair of retired teachers, combined pension 2009 was $117,000 plus health insurance and whatever they get from SS. Not too shabby!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
 
628 posts, read 532,530 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I heard today that Dickinson Avenue School 3rd graders are watching Disney films in class. They get to watch movies for being good. They get to watch movies to help celebrate holidays.

Evidently, doing what you aren't supposed to like (learning) is rewarded with what you are expected to like (sitting slack-jawed, watching cartoons). This tells me a lot about the teacher's approach to and attitude about learning.

I'll remember this next time I vote for a school budget proposal. This teacher is likely paid about $80k, and is no more creative than a reel-changer at the Odeon 6.

And keep in mind when I say this, I'm no tea sipper. I don't drink Kool-Aid either.
You could just contact the teacher and tell her to refrain from the practice of letting your child be rewarded for good work by watching a Disney film. I'm sure the teacher would have no problem letting your kid sit in another class and take in an additional math lesson while her classmates slack around being kids.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top