Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times

Advertisements

I heard today that Dickinson Avenue School 3rd graders are watching Disney films in class. They get to watch movies for being good. They get to watch movies to help celebrate holidays.

Evidently, doing what you aren't supposed to like (learning) is rewarded with what you are expected to like (sitting slack-jawed, watching cartoons). This tells me a lot about the teacher's approach to and attitude about learning.

I'll remember this next time I vote for a school budget proposal. This teacher is likely paid about $80k, and is no more creative than a reel-changer at the Odeon 6.

And keep in mind when I say this, I'm no tea sipper. I don't drink Kool-Aid either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Just how often are they watching movies? Once a week? Once a month? A few times a year?

Any more than once every few months, that is WAY too often. I will tell you that I do show clips/sections of movies every so often, but 90% of the time they are directly related to the curriculum. For example, the students are learning about the Sorcerer's Apprentice (part of 1st grade Core Knowledge curriculum), they watch it on Fantasia. Same with 5th grade Beethoven's 5.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
I seriously doubt the kids are watching movies 5 days a week. It's probably once a month (probably less), a 60-90 minute movie. Big deal. They're in school for 6 1/2 hours a day --- 32.5 hours a week. More than most people work (as opposed to being at your job 40 hours). I have no problem with them watching a movie once in a while. Oh, and how do you know the movie doesn't go along with a lesson plan? Or that they don't have to write about the movie after they watch it?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default I think it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I seriously doubt the kids are watching movies 5 days a week. It's probably once a month (probably less), a 60-90 minute movie. Big deal. They're in school for 6 1/2 hours a day --- 32.5 hours a week. More than most people work (as opposed to being at your job 40 hours). I have no problem with them watching a movie once in a while. Oh, and how do you know the movie doesn't go along with a lesson plan? Or that they don't have to write about the movie after they watch it?
Kids don't have to sit on their hands to learn. Activities can be created. Exercises done. Learning games played. This was Cinderella or some-such thing. The teacher is trained, ostensibly, to do what the parents can't do. A lobotomized dog can insert a Disney DVD into a player, and it doesn't ask for a pension. That's not teaching. I don't care what the kids have to do afterward. You don't have to watch Disney fare to recognize themes or practice writing. You could actually assign READING, and do the same thing. In the meantime, the child READS.

Evidently, you missed the part where this teacher is reinforcing the idea that learning is NOT what kids want to do. They learn so that they can sign out with movies?! That's the reward? Reward kids with a free book, or let them present something they like, and practice public speaking. This isn't learning at all. This is anti-learning, and the teacher should be ashamed. Dismissed.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
So it was ONE movie (Cinderella) and you're getting all in a huff??? If this is your kid's class and you're that dissatisfied, take your kid out of the school and pay 5K to put him/her in a parochial school or pay 30K to put him/her in a private school.

Allowing the kids to take a break and see a 90 minute (if that long) movie isn't the end of the world, even if you THINK the teacher is teaching them to "learn so they can sign out movies" (rolling eyes).

Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Holy non-issue batman! We used to get treated to watching cartoons or a movie in school on rainy days back in the 70's and that was in Brooklyn! Some were pretty violent. We turned out ok.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I agree with OP. It used to make me crazy when my kids would watch movies in school. Kids are happy with ANY reward that doesn't involve schoolwork! Take them out for extra recess, let them get out some board games, give them a break from homework. All much more appropriate awards...not the hour of junk t.v. while the teacher catches up their Facebook page or texts their friends.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
I'm with mongoose back in the 70's in Brooklyn. And that was parochial school. We used to watch episodes of Davey and Goliath also - anyone remember that?

My son's in the same school district - he's mentioned occasional movies. I don't have a problem with that, as long as it's occasional. I also like the field trips and field days. Not all learning is done in the classroom.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with OP. It used to make me crazy when my kids would watch movies in school. Kids are happy with ANY reward that doesn't involve schoolwork! Take them out for extra recess, let them get out some board games, give them a break from homework. All much more appropriate awards...not the hour of junk t.v. while the teacher catches up their Facebook page or texts their friends.
and leave @ 3, and have summers off and have the rest of us pay for their salaries. I can go on

So true, sadly. This is what all my friends do and chances are they are making wayyy more $$ than I am.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
This is so horrible! It might even lead kids to think that school can be fun. <<shudder>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island