Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
When it comes to the MTA, QC is severely lacking. Case in point: the double-decker train cars. They were supposed to be able to go into Penn Station. Guess what happens on the "maiden voyage?" The cars are too tall to fit in the tunnel that goes under the East River! LOL! Apparently nobody bothered to take any measurements to make sure the trains would FIT. And you think they would have the sense to question anything about the seating in the cars? Afraid not.
I'm at a loss, the double decker cars DO go into Penn, and they didnt make the tunnels any bigger or the trains smaller. They do NOT go into Brooklyn because of height restrictions of that tunnel, is that what you're thinking of? Or was there another fleet of double decker cars before these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I'm at a loss, the double decker cars DO go into Penn, and they didnt make the tunnels any bigger or the trains smaller. They do NOT go into Brooklyn because of height restrictions of that tunnel, is that what you're thinking of? Or was there another fleet of double decker cars before these?
I'm confused, too. When I lived in Babylon, I took a double-decker to Penn.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Double Deckers DO go into Penn Station. The Port Jeff line uses them a lot (maybe exclusively??).

Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Of course the East River Tunnels can handle Double Deckers , NJT stores at least 100 trains in Sunnyside Queens. We couldn't do that if the Tunnel was to small. NJT Double Deckers are slightly larger then LIRR. The New Double Deckers will be used to go mostly to Grand Central Station via the ESA.
On a side note which lines does the Cannonball run on?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
Im pretty sure half the capital budget is funded from federal grants and the other half come from bonds the MTA sells. Kinda crazy that for every dollar the Federal Government gives NY we taxpayers end up another dollar in debt lol. Damned if you do damned if you dont.
yeah cause the bonds on the M7 cars were worth it.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
You're right! Sorry! Duhhhhh to me for not taking my time when posting or looking it over to see if it makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island