Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
There's nothing on LI that warrants a "reality show" --- malls? the beach? the hamptons (which is all NYC hanging out for the summer) Fire Island?

Not much happens out here that anyone would be interested in seeing.

Sorry!
Long Island is mostly fly-over country to NYC folks.

Maybe a show like Route 66 where two guys in a vintage Monte have adventures driving route 25. Each season they guys would drive the length of a different road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2tEn...eature=related

Or maybe a show titled "77 Sunrise Highway"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAIh...eature=related

Or maybe one called "Fire Island Eye" about private detectives on Fire Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCyS...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
^^ Well, lol, if you look at it; Los Angeles (where most reality shows take place) is basically the same thing.

I hate to admit this but Long Island has so much similarities with Los Angeles that it's almost scary! Endless over-priced suburbs, Bad traffic, Beaches, Malls, Celebrities/Rich people with spoiled teens, Illegals and Poor People and gangs in some areas, etc, etc. The only difference I would say is the temperature, maybe density, and housing styles.

I've never been to Southern Cal but I always assumed the same thing about LA. The stories and what I read about San Fernando Valley is what I imagine to be West Coast Long Island.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
There's nothing on LI that warrants a "reality show" --- malls? the beach? the hamptons (which is all NYC hanging out for the summer) Fire Island?

Sorry!
I disagree.

LI and LA are very very similar.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I disagree.

LI and LA are very very similar.
Except LA is the destination not the bedroom community to it...

Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Except LA is the destination not the bedroom community to it...
Actually no.

LA is all sprawl with very little at its heart.
Pretty anticlimactic if you ever took the 405 in for 3 hours from the OC burbs (OC had some reality TV..no?)

SF is another story.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-17-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:

Sorry!

I just saw South Park's take on Jersey Shore. I realized if some meatheads and bimbettes from New Jersey can pull off a popular show, Long Islanders could pull off a better more tatseful show. South Shore: Robert Moses

Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ actually most of them are from NY... one or two LI.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
I think "reality shows" area anything but reality and easily the worst programming to hit TV, along with "Ice Road Truckers" and all the rest of the dreck. "Tasteful reality shows"?

Yes, I know these programs wouldn't be on TV if nobody watched them, but wasn't the motivation for them in the first place just low cost production?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
[quote=ncrkd;16300994]I think "reality shows" area anything but reality and easily the worst programming to hit TV, along with "Ice Road Truckers" and all the rest of the dreck. "Tasteful reality shows"?

Yes, I know these programs wouldn't be on TV if nobody watched them, but wasn't the motivation for them in the first place just low cost production?[/quote]

I think they started out as an attempt to get ratings but soon realized they could lower costs with them as well and that is what leaves us where we are now, flooded with them.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Can we all just agree that most shows on television are trash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island