Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 22,003 times

Advertisements

my Husband and I are looking to buy a house, and so far the homes we have seen we like are in Deer Park or Lindenhurst (that we can afford)

Are these decent areas to live? we do not have any children right now, but will be looking to have a family and raise them there.

Any advice or recommendations for other areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Default hmm

I used to live in lindenhurst (my parents still do) and I was looking for houses in deer park. They are similiar to each other.

Deer park might have cheaper taxes.

Lindenhurst taxes are a little bit more because of its proximity to the water.

School district I think they are equal also . Not The best of the island but not the worst.

So area wise they are pretty equal . Its just a mater of preference . Keep in mind anything even remotely close to montauk highway in lindenhurst will require flood insurance. That might sway your decision.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
From what I seen when looking at homes Deer park seemed to have higher taxes, but also bigger plots.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM

138 posts, read 492,057 times
We are about 1/4 mile north of montauk, and do not need flood insurance.

Biggest downside to Lindy (south Lindy, that is) is proximity to southern state.

otherwise, we are really happy. It will be 1 yr next month.

i love being able to walk to town for the train, the library, pizza, CVS, etc.

some more vibrant stores on Wellwood would be great. hope things pick up, business wise.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM

97 posts, read 312,401 times
How are the Deer Park schools? Is it true that the school district isn't very good?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
All other things being equal, prefer the self-governing municipality, the Village of Lindenhurst, over the unincorporated area that is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of Babylon, the Hamlet of Deer Park.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

momijichiba, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,762 times
There's nothing wrong with Deer Park Schools. My daughter is in 5th grade and last year she had a smart board in her class and this year every kid gets a macbook to use for the year. They take it home for homework etc.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
I try to take neighboring towns into consideration for long term prospects.

Lindy seems to be on an upswing.Id be inclined to look there.

DP/HHH schools could be a bargain though.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
This is my opinion while looking for homes in different areas in 2009. Lindenhurst Schools are rated better than Deer Park Schools..Lindenhurst schools also have a wonderful program for autistic and special needs children, etc. which are very much needed when having a children who has those disabilities. Unfortunately, none of us know what the future holds for us when it comes to this. However, if you are speaking Deer Park with Half Hollow School district, I'd say that is an excellent choice. While looking at houses in 2009, I did a lot of research on different areas and schools. Deer Park scores were somewhere in the mid 70's while Lindenhurst definitely scored higher. Half Hollow Hills Schools beats both Lindenhurst and Deer Park Schools. However, I do feel if a student is going to do well in general, they would do well in any school regardless (as long as it's not Wyandanch or Roosevelt School). I did have the chance to purchase a home in Deer Park with HHH schools but we decided against it b/c of the neighboring Wyandanch town... That is a personal choice though. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island