Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickylobster View Post
Back to the OP, the bay houses on the south shore might be considered exclusive simply because you can't buy one, only inherit one, and you usually need a boat to get to one.
Which houses are you talking about?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
How low can some of you get? Resenting people following a religious practice. Is it just me who finds something wrong with the nature of this debate and a few others on this forum? People saddened by the closing of Roy Rogers and Sizzler. Bashings of working class towns. Now implications that families walking to temple are purposely bringing tension to the non observant. What's going on here? Respect the Sabbath and respect these people.
If you would drive around the 5 towns sidestreets on Friday night/Saturday, you'd see what I am talking about.

Say what you want, but they are going out of their way to be obnoxious and make it inconvenient for those that are driving. I mean, who in their right mind sets up chairs in the middle of a street and lets their kids run around like the road is closed off?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM

87 posts, read 174,920 times
Quote:
Which houses are you talking about?
Copied from somewhere:

If you pay close attention while driving along the Wantagh, Meadowbrook, or Loop Parkways linking Jones Beach and Point Lookout to the mainland, you’ll spot small cottages perched on platforms and surrounded by marshland and water. At one time, there were hundreds of such bay houses, as they are called, in the Town of Hempstead. Now there are only 32.
The building of the bay houses began back in the early 1700s when the island’s farmers, needing hay for their cattle, hired their neighbors the baymen to row out to remote marshlands and bring back hay for their animals. The journey often took several hours each way, so it wasn’t long before the baymen began building shacks in which to overnight. At first, these shacks were crude affairs. But as the years went by, the baymen developed them into cozy cabins that they could also use for recreation and for the planting and harvesting of oysters and clams.
In the early 1900s, recreational fishermen discovered the South Shore and the bay houses developed yet another purpose: bait stations. Then, a decade or two later, Prohibition arrived. Some baymen, writes folklorist Nancy Solomon in her book On the Bay, “played an indispensable role in rum running, smuggling, via their bay houses, illegal booze from large cargo ships offshore to hotels. . . .“
All this history was almost lost in 1993, when the baymen’s lease on their bay houses — last renewed by the Town of Hempstead in 1965 — ran out. The town government had voted to have the houses destroyed, but Solomon’s book, together with the efforts of the South Shore Bayhouse Owners’ Association, convinced the town board of the homes’ historic value. Their leases have since been extended virtually indefinitely.
Although the bay houses can be seen from the parkways, the best way to view them is by boat. The charter fishing boats that run out of Freeport pass close by.
Approximately 50 other bay houses are located in Suffolk County opposite Captree State Park near Captree Island, Sexton Island, and Havermeyer Island.

The ones on the marsh islands scattered around the bays of the south shore.
http://www.longislandtraditions.org/southshore/architecture/bayhouses/index.html

Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
If you would drive around the 5 towns sidestreets on Friday night/Saturday, you'd see what I am talking about.

Say what you want, but they are going out of their way to be obnoxious and make it inconvenient for those that are driving. I mean, who in their right mind sets up chairs in the middle of a street and lets their kids run around like the road is closed off?
I respect other people's religious convictions, so I'm not going to lurk in their neighborhoods and disrupt their practices to prove you right.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
I respect other people's religious convictions, so I'm not going to lurk in their neighborhoods and disrupt their practices to prove you right.
So short answer is, you have no idea what exactly I am talking about?

Wonderful

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,551 times
It is Long Necks !

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So short answer is, you have no idea what exactly I am talking about?

Wonderful
I know what you're talking about but don't understand your thinking. And hope I never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island