U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,824 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
My husband has accepted a job (pays around 90k/year) in Holtsville. We are originally from Southern California and I know NOTHING about Long Island, New York, etc. I am a teacher, however, we need to live off of his income for at least a year until I find a job. We have two young children (6 & 7) and a good school is VERY important to us. So... considering that I won't be able to teach right away, can we expect to rent something reasonable in a nice area for under $2000? Which areas would you suggest? It doesn't need to be in Holtsville, but a reasonable commute would be nice. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:52 AM

11,033 posts, read 9,557,522 times
I know everything about L.I., grew up there, taught college there, and sent two children to public schools there. They are good students and are thriving in PA. But LI really does have so much to offer the educationally minded, sophisticated transplant.

I am sure you are aware that LI is expensive. That said I will tell you what expensive place is best and why. Really none are inexpensive so you might as well live in the best area.

My suggestion is Three Village School District. This district encompasses the villages of Stony Brook,
Setauket, East Setauket, Old Field, Poquot, and parts of Port Jefferson.

The area is hilly and wooded. Very historic, diverse and beautiful. The schools are among the best on LI. Stony Brook University is a top rated research university with a wonderful community offering of film, dance, music and other cultural opportunities.

There are pleanty of places to shop for food - In Setauket, there is Wild By Nature, a natural foods supermarket. Nearby is Whole Foods. There are other supermarkets in the area such as Waldbaums and Stop and Shop. All good!

The area is ethnically diverse. There are people from all over the world who live in this area. I find this to be enriching. Yes I am a foodie and I want to tell you that this area boasts of some of the best restaurants on Long Island! There is a newish Thai Restaurant - Centura on 25 A.
I am a fan of Pentimento, am intimate Northern Italian reastaurant and of the Curry Club, an Indian restaurant. There is also a very authentic Mexican Restaurant and a family style diner - the Setauket Diner.

The LI Sound beaches are a bit rocky, but beautiful with calmer waters resembling that of a very large lake. Stony Brook is also the home of The Long Island Museum.

The area is steeped in history. It has a New Englang vibe, with rolling hills, homes dating from the 17th century, a Village Green and a landscape dotted with white steepled churches,
Jewish? Do not worry. There are at least 5 Jewish Centers in the area. There is also a very large and active Unitarian Universalist Congregation.

Personally I would noy want to live in Hotsville, Holeerook or Farminville.
I am not crazy about the Sachem schools - one of NYState's largest, and a very sports oriented district. Three Village District willingly embraces a variety of students and it is really OL to be an individualist there.

If you do not choose 3 Village, try Port Jefferson. (NOT PJ STATION - Comsewogue)
A brautiful and historic seaside town.

If you want more information, feel free to Dirct Message me.

Best of Luck!

~ Sheena

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM

924 posts, read 1,133,201 times
The layout on Long Island can be broken down to 3 parts. The North Shore, the Middle Island, and the South Shore. They each have positive and negative attributes.

The North Shore is less busy, but also poorly laid out. Some (like myself) might call this charming, but it can also be a hassle because it takes you forever to get around. Especially during the rush hour periods. The towns usually have an identity and culture to themselves, but to an outsider the cultures are usually viewed as being very similar from town to town. The schools are good if not overrated based on the dollars per student spent. A lot of these towns are less accepting of outsiders than the South Shore or Middle Island just because transplants are not as common there.

The Middle Island is more of a commuter area with very little individual town identity. I might take some flack for this, but most people in the Middle Island areas are just less apt to take part in the community. The schools are hit or miss. In my opinion, it's not worth living in the middle part of the island, because it looks like any other suburb but is twice as expensive. The real positive is that you are closer to the train lines into the city. This attracts a lot of people who want quick access to their jobs in Manhattan.

The South Shore of the island is more blue collar than the North Shore and is better laid out. The schools aren't spectacular, although I'm sure others will disagree. I'm just talking in a general manner. The towns are historic, but a lot of the quaint Main Streets are starting to show signs of the recession. You have quick access to the beaches and Surnise Hwy and the Southern State are great arteries to get you from Manhattan to Montauk. The closer to the water you get the more expensive it will become.

Quote:
So... considering that I won't be able to teach right away, can we expect to rent something reasonable in a nice area for under $2000?
It depends on whether you need 2 bedrooms or 3 and if you need a house or can live in an apartment. A 2 bedroom apartment would run you about $1700 in an area with a good school district. You can look at Fairfields, they seem pretty decent. A house is more of a shot in the dark, as there are not many rentals in your price range in the nicer school districts. While you'll find plenty in the districts that you might not want to expose your children to.

Quote:
Which areas would you suggest? It doesn't need to be in Holtsville, but a reasonable commute would be nice. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
I would recommend you look at the school districts of Sayville, Bayport-Blue Point, Connetquot and East Islip. They are all on the South Shore and offer you strong educations for your children. The areas are also children and family friendly. The are close to where your husband will be working and the areas have a lot of Long Island teachers as residents.

As I said, I don't think you would get a great Long Island experience from living in the middle part of the island, and the North Shore is probably out of your price range and the commute to get around can be problematic. Goodluck with you search.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Thank you all so much for your input! It's a bit scary coming to a place that you know nothing about. Your comments were very helpful and give us an idea of where to begin our search.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM

3,281 posts, read 4,921,316 times
LI aint that much different from Cali. You wont go into culture shock too badly.
Hey, at least you wont have to worry about earthquakes!
I think Californians can adapt very easily to NY.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,793,967 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

teach130, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,793,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My suggestion is Three Village School District. This district encompasses the villages of Stony Brook,
Setauket, East Setauket, Old Field, Poquot, and parts of Port Jefferson.
The "Three Village" area -- it's really 2 villages and 2 hamlets -- includes the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Hamlet of Stony Brook and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 10,197 times
LI is big. There are a lot of good schools and nice areas on LI. You can find something for under 2k, but it would help if you could tell us a bit more about what you are looking for and would like to have in your home area.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Yes, the "no earthquake" thing is something I can definitely get used to ; ). At this point, we are more concerned about finding an area that is safe, walkable, has good schools and preferably has a nice "quaint" downtown area. We currently live in a city that is a college town and has a great "village" area. I guess my idea of "great" is good coffee shops, eateries, boutiques, etc. Perhaps a "20" something might differ in their definition, but I am in the 35-45 range, so I don't need a hoppin' night-life We are willing to sacrifice square footage in order to stay in our price range if it means finding the right location. We probably won't plan on buying anything for another 5 or so years. An apartment is fine and we can deal with 2 bedrooms (our girls would LOVE to share a room). Thanks again for the great advice.... it has been very helpful.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 PM

7,715 posts, read 10,729,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach130 View Post
Yes, the "no earthquake" thing is something I can definitely get used to ; ). At this point, we are more concerned about finding an area that is safe, walkable, has good schools and preferably has a nice "quaint" downtown area. We currently live in a city that is a college town and has a great "village" area. I guess my idea of "great" is good coffee shops, eateries, boutiques, etc. Perhaps a "20" something might differ in their definition, but I am in the 35-45 range, so I don't need a hoppin' night-life We are willing to sacrifice square footage in order to stay in our price range if it means finding the right location. We probably won't plan on buying anything for another 5 or so years. An apartment is fine and we can deal with 2 bedrooms (our girls would LOVE to share a room). Thanks again for the great advice.... it has been very helpful.

Northport sounds like your kind of place - but it's not exactly close to Holtsville
Nonetheless, you might want to have a look there...

As a matter of fact, there's a cute little 2 BR cottage within walking distance of the Village for rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island