Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

The Hamlet of South Farmingdale is also in the Farmingdale Union Free School District:

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Farmingdale Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Old Bethpage, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of North Amityville, the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of North Massapequa, the Hamlet of Plainedge, the Hamlet of Bethpage, the Village of Farmingdale and the Hamlet of South Farmingdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

18 posts, read 91,790 times
Default Plainedge Schools

OK so maybe this thread is dying out, I just found it and had to jump in. I am new to the area and have kids that will be attending Plainedge schools starting next fall. I have been reading this site as well as asking around, and basically we bought our home with school district being the top priority. Coming from Queens, and growing up there for all of my 40 years, I can say that the general area is about as close as can be to what Queens used to be. I personally love the idea that the district is not overcrowded, as Massapequa can be (rightfully) perceived. I know two people high up on the food chain in that district and both said they prefer Plainedge for their own children. The poster that said drugs are not the fault of the school district is spot on. Drugs are everywhere and NO school will be able to control that. Private schools, where people pay top dollar to send their overly rich, what-designer-drugs-can-I-not-afford-NOT-to-try kids are probably the worst. The girl died at a house party. Has anyone here ever gotten high on anything? Were any of you NOT introduced to that substance during your school age years, most likely while at school or with your classmates? Since most of you have the intellect to form coherent thoughts here, and basically are still breathing and not locked up (I would think), it's a safe bet you didn't form any sort of problem. Thank your parents for that. Sounds like they did something right. As for diversity or leaning to the left, I personally think the notion of kids going to school in a more diverse environment to better prepare themselves for the real world is absurd in today's society. I know right about now most of you will start to picture a racist, narrow-minded skinhead with a swastika tattooed on his forehead, but I'm just your average, 5th generation Italian American blue collar guy trying to raise his kids. You want diversity or big school district "opportunity"? Try the NYC board of ed, where you have all the opportunity in the world if you can get past the gang initiations, and beat out the minorities who have more opportunities than we ever will. When I was growing up, America was viewed as a melting pot where people from all over the world could come and have the opportunity to be free and make a name for themselves. Now the floodgates have opened, people have (and take full advantage of) the opportunity to come here and be free, and LIVE free, and take all the resources away from those who helped build it. You go to a park with your kids now and no one speaks English. Press 1??? %$^@ YOU. You send your children to school amongst these types and you ready them for the world of sticking it to the man, and they thumb your nose in it while you do. So Plainedge is a predominantly white district that is tolerant of the few outsiders that are in it, because in my opinion, those "minorities" came to the community as hardworking citizens that will, if not already, give something back to it. "Diversity" is by definition tolerance of people from different backgrounds. I can spell that out with 3 letters: U.S.A. Enough is enough. I'll send my kids to school with the grandkids of those who gave something to be here.

I get a real sense of community here, and I like the "small town" feel. I like the fact that if my kid is not the most athletically gifted, he will still have a snowball's chance in hell at making the team. It may not be the best team, but it's a lot harder to teach kids how to lose than how to win.

I don't speak about this district from experience and I readily admit that. I go with my gut...this is how I see it.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
captkaos paints a very clear picture of what Plainedge is like... and it isn't a pretty picture.

Frankly though, I'm sure he and his kids will fit in wonderfully until any attempt to leave the bubble of South Shore Nassau occurs, which for the majority of Plainedge residents, is never.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 91,790 times
>Frankly though, I'm sure he and his kids will fit in wonderfully until any attempt to leave the bubble of South Shore Nassau occurs, which for the majority of Plainedge residents, is never.<

To each his own. Yes I think I do fit in and that's all that counts.

As for leaving, I plan on doing so. Ironically, I came here mainly for the schools. The day the last one graduates is the day the sign goes up.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Dead or Canadian?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
I went 2 plainedge my son whos 13 goes 2 plainedge it sucked then and it still sucks now!

Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 829 times
Default Plainedge

I’m a resident of plainedge and I can tell you the schools are top notch second to none all die to the residents of plainedge every school has very similar academic it’s the people of the town that make the schools what they are and from what I have seen we are a small proud community that rallies big time behind its kids and especially its sports plainedge pride is real and worth living In

Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 AM

35 posts, read 39,467 times
My family lived in Plainedge. It's quiet, clean, and safe, but we weren't overly impressed with the schools. They did a fine job staying on the cutting edge, tech-wise, but our daughter seems to be thriving in RVC schools in a way she wasn't in Plainedge. That's not intended to be an indictment of their system, just another anecdote in a sea of anecdotes.

I believe the area had the highest number of opioid-related deaths on LI, and we dealt with some guys in a van nodding off while a toddler belonging to one of them threw rocks at passing cars while we were living there. It's also about as conservative an area as there is in Nassau County, so how you feel about living there will at least partially depend on how you feel about that.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Look out for the taxes, Plainedge schools has a very high rate, Island trees gets all the Hempstead turnpike $$.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:08 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5217 View Post
Brand new to the forum, great resource for info on those like me who dont have much info about Long Island. I'm Considering buing a home in N. Massapequa in the Plainedge School district. I dont have any kids, but more conserned about the resale value of the home. I know Farmingdale is not the greatest, how does it compare to Farmingdale and Massapequa??
Thanks in advance for any input!
I think it's a fine school district. No one moves to the area FOR the district - or leaves because of it.

For Long Island, it is average, and safe. Compared to the rest of the country? It's probably stellar.

For what it's worth, I am friends with a very successful couple who re grads. Both are professionals. Their older kids graduated and did well. Well adjusted, attending good colleges.

The youngest kid was a surprise and is in private school in FL, where they moved.

Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island