Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times

Advertisements

Did the sink fall in slow motion? It sounds like he was leaning on it with his back to it. If it fell, how did he possibly catch it and hold it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM

267 posts, read 598,635 times
sounds like there is more to this than reported. because we all know there are three sides to the story. Your son's the schools, and the truth. I for one , think that poor little johnny broke the sink and the school suspended him. The sink was loose not broken. Do you really think that your son is gonna say " yeah I broke the sink on purpose" they were probably messing with it and broke it off. Getting a lawyer will get you nothing but a bad rep. Get a bottle of wine and forget about it.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
He was leaning on it with his rear end. All the other kids have backed up my sons story. How can an 11 year old pull a sink out of the wall ; come on, go into a womans bathroom all the time and there are gals there leaning on sinks chatting. But the sinks do not come off the wall.
The sink didnt break ; it came off the wall. It was back on the wall 2 hours later.
The principals thinking is that my son put the safety of 330 kids and staff at risk because the water had to be turned off for 2 hours. Last year another child stuffed so much paper down the toilet that there was a huge flood ; did she get suspension? Nope.
There is no disagreement between what happened ; it was an accident and the principal even said that and also agreed that she felt he didnt do it on purpose.. But she also said that he needs to be punished because he was careless with school property. Ok, I give you that. But a 3 days suspension ; that is way off the charts. The truth the same story from day 1 ; that hasnt changed. He leant on the sink. The sink came off the wall.They are the facts. The same facts from day 1.

The arguement here is wheather a 3 day suspension fits the crime.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Did the sink fall in slow motion? It sounds like he was leaning on it with his back to it. If it fell, how did he possibly catch it and hold it up?
Anotehr child told him he had great reflexes. He did it very quickly.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
What was the punishment for the other kids involved in this situation?

Again Is there a Zero Tolerence rule in the school??
They do not have zero tolerence. Ok. two years ago another child fractured the ankle of a child. He didnt even get one day off ; he was just moved into a different class.

Three weeks ago a child was pinching the nipples of a child ; he got 5 days in school suspension.

In September a child was screaming curses in my childs face ; when that child was asked about it, he denied doing it but it was backed up by a few children. Again, no punishment.

This year a child kicked a ball and it broke the window of a classroom ; no punishment.

But yet my child leans on a loose sink, it comes off the wall and he gets a 3 days out of school suspension.

Thats the truth.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
I'm not doubting your statements. You sound like a european parent that probably teaches rules at the home and hope they carry into life. That being said, treat this as a learning experience for your son. wether he did it or not is no longer the issue. What did he learn from the situation? Did he learn that life is not always fair? Move on as this situation does not follow him for life.

Has his mood swings started yet (puberty)? And if they have, have you and your husband gotten Xanax for yourselves yet?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not doubting your statements. You sound like a european parent that probably teaches rules at the home and hope they carry into life. That being said, treat this as a learning experience for your son. wether he did it or not is no longer the issue. What did he learn from the situation? Did he learn that life is not always fair? Move on as this situation does not follow him for life.

Has his mood swings started yet (puberty)? And if they have, have you and your husband gotten Xanax for yourselves yet?

LOL . I am a european parent ; how did you know. And yes we have gotten xanax LOL. We do teach rules at home and unfortuantely he and his brother are learning the hard way that fairness does not always prevail.

Everytime he goes to the bathroom at home now we are jokingly telling him to stay clear of sinks!! I know this too will pass, but it just seems way off base considering the other infractions other children have done with little or no punishment and children that have histories of cursing at kids, teachers, throwing things at teachers etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
You either have no children or have already forgotten what damage a 11-12 year old can do. We've all walked into public restrooms where doors are missing or the toilets are stopped up. How do you think it got that way?

Building maintenence is like home maintenence. You take a look at it, stick it on a to do list and give it a priority of importance on that list. It was something minor when it was looked but some kid in a matter of a few days had to push it to its limits.
I will tell you a story about a wall sink. I used to live in a place that was built in 1939. It had the original wall sink in the bathroom. It used to have thin little metal legs that seemed to me were more for show than for holding it up and they were removed by my husband because he didn't like them,so it was only sink attached to wall. I had a guest with MS who was staying with us and he would lean all his body weight on that sink while trying to move around in the bathroom. He was over 6' tall and weighed over 200 lbs. I was nervous about the sink. However, the sink stayed tight to the wall and had no loosening at all and this guy was with us for 2 weeks straight.

Missing doors and stopped up toilets are a lot easier to cause than detaching a wall sink.

I think a heavy, loose sink should have been priority #1, especially when the OP stated that the next day, Thursday, there was no school. That would have been the perfect opportunity to fix it if they actually cared about proper maintenance.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,426 times
I would put my child into a different school. If you are not happy with how the administration acted, you will not be happy with them in the future.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Look we have all leaned on sinks in bathrooms. But if that sink was loose and the school did nothing about it, then it fell on a child and injured the child, who would be at fault ; the school or the child?

For my particular son, being in the principals office with his mother was punishment enough for him. He is a child who never gets in trouble so any kind of talking to is enough.

But three day out of school suspension is way over the top. I did write to the diocese, and the principal. My son knows to stay away from sinks in future. This sink was loose from years and years of use and it finally gave away with my sons rear. In a normal situation nobody leaning on a sink should be able to take it away from the wall. Its just not possible,
What are you going to do on Monday? Bring your son to school or keep him out?

By the time these letters even arrive, let alone are read and action taken, the suspension will be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island