U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,310,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Thank you for posting this. Now I'm reporting you for your lies and accusations. This is your thread. Why don't you stop the nonsense.
I was noting that there are obvious similarities in your writing (use of "LOL!" & BTW" is uncanny) and you both seem to have it out for any area that isn't mostly minorities. If that is not you, then my mistake..but the comments preaching "diversity" are way too similar. FWIW, diversity is more than just about one's skin color. And you agreed too that 1 drug dealer (a case from 2009 was the only thing you could find) in an area of 18,000 population makes that a bad area in your mind.

Well what about the hundreds of active drug dealers (and violent crimes) in your favorite places like baldwin, hempstead and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,031,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I was noting that there are obvious similarities in your writing (use of "LOL!" & BTW" is uncanny) and you both seem to have it out for any area that isn't mostly minorities. If that is not you, then my mistake..but the comments preaching "diversity" are way too similar. FWIW, diversity is more than just about one's skin color. And you agreed too that 1 drug dealer (a case from 2009 was the only thing you could find) in an area of 18,000 population makes that a bad area in your mind.

Well what about the hundreds of active drug dealers (and violent crimes) in your favorite places like baldwin, hempstead and such?

I have repeated this to you several times and I don't know why it doesn't get through to you. I dislike your need to bash towns based on your black and white view of them. Most towns are pretty much gray to me. I can drive through any town and see something special about it. Unless a person has lived in that town for a few years do they truly have the experience to critique that town. If I praise something special that I saw in Freeport or if I frown upon a neighborhood of lookalike homes in Merrick does not mean that is my overall view of either town. Stop taking a comment I have said about a town out of context and start making it seem that's how I feel about the entire town.

Look we are here to help inform other residents and give value to Long Island not fight and make the Island seem like an us against them place. It makes the Island as a whole unattractive to potential residents.

I first avoded this thread because of the OP typical negative rant of looking for some negative post about a town(ghetto) but I see many posters posted how towns have improved such as Bay Shore rather than pick on towns such as Hempstead which are being consumed with problems. Thanks people, make the Island seem like the best place in the world, not the worse.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
this thread sucks
I agree, I would delete it. It was derailed by a 'baiter'. The only useful info I gathered was Smithtown is lacking a bit in infrastructure and traffic is an issue there. And that the Island really is looking to build a 400 ft ski mountain in Calverton (horrible idea I think).

And that there's a Town in Nassau called "The Riviera of Long Island"...from Merrick to Massapequa Park"... j/k Walter.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I have repeated this to you several times and I don't know why it doesn't get through to you. I dislike your need to bash towns based on your black and white view of them. Most towns are pretty much gray to me.

I first avoded this thread because of the OP typical negative rant of looking for some negative post about a town(ghetto) but I see many posters posted how towns have improved such as Bay Shore rather than pick on towns such as Hempstead which are being consumed with problems. Thanks people, make the Island seem like the best place in the world, not the worse.
I don't care, nor should anyone else care that you are ultra-sensitive to others talking about bad areas. For the nTH time, it's not about race. This is how people talk in the real world. If someone wants to call an area "sketchy or bad", that is their right and they probably have good reason. What I consider ignorant is people trying to socially engineer others into a mold that satisfies the engineer. Why do you get so defensive and bait/attack everyone that has a negative view of high crime, neglected areas? I have a conscience and I won't lead people into believing areas with 40:1 chance of being the victim of a violent crime are desirable areas, like Hempstead, Roosevelt, parts of Baldwin and even Wading River (look it up).

I was more interested to see why someones area went downhill or improved (ie- was something built, is a major company leaving the area, did the gov't meddle with the housing situation to screw the current residents etc). I'm still pretty sure you are fred1, it looked like an inactive, incognito account and it fit your baiting style (and writing style) to a tee.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-08-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,882 times
Quote:
I agree, I would delete it. It was derailed by a 'baiter'. The only useful info I gathered was Smithtown is lacking a bit in infrastructure and traffic is an issue there. And that the Island really is looking to build a 400 ft ski mountain in Calverton (horrible idea I think).

And that there's a Town in Nassau called "The Riviera of Long Island"...from Merrick to Massapequa Park"... j/k Walter.
Smithtown (I am a resident) is an interesting discussion point. In my opinion it is the nicest overall Township on the island. Between Commack, Kings Park, Smithtown, St. James, Nesconset - there is not a bad area (yes, it is not immune to the drug issues, high property taxes, etc, that plague the island). I really find little remarkable about the Merrick/Sunrise highway joys of Massapequa, etc. It is a nice area, but rather blah in my opinion.

Regarding the Main street issues in Smithtown it is a tough call. Smithtown continues to open up restaurants along its little main street strip - Luso, H2o, Casa Rustica, Buteras, Arthur Avenue, Thai, two great sushi places, korean bbq, etc. The longstanding Napper Tandy's. So it is a nice enough area, but to really be a main street in the village sense it needs to slow it all down, like a downtown Port Jeff (not the same size of course, just slower traffic). Not sure how that could work when it is a main cut through for all manner of commutes along that part of the island. Where do you divert the traffic? Slowing it down will simply add more congestion. My take. Cut out some of the parking opposite the little main street area and provide some pull off lanes. Then, enforce some pedestrian walkways and calm traffic PRIOR to hitting the main part of main street. Otherwise it would be pointless to invest much more in a main street that is not conducive to a little downtown walking district. And Vecchio is so tight on that type of spending he "squeaks".

As a sidebar I would highly recommend Luso. Great Portuguese restaurant. Limited seating, but worth the wait, especially if you are a carnivore.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I don't care, nor should anyone else care that you are ultra-sensitive to others talking about bad areas. For the nTH time, it's not about race. This is how people talk in the real world. If someone wants to call an area "sketchy or bad", that is their right and they probably have good reason. What I consider ignorant is people trying to socially engineer others into a mold that satisfies the engineer. Why do you get so defensive and bait/attack everyone that has a negative view of high crime, neglected areas? I have a conscience and I won't lead people into believing areas with 40:1 chance of being the victim of a violent crime are desirable areas, like Hempstead, Roosevelt, parts of Baldwin and even Wading River (look it up).

I was more interested to see why someones area went downhill or improved (ie- was something built, is a major company leaving the area, did the gov't meddle with the housing situation to screw the current residents etc). I'm still pretty sure you are fred1, it looked like an inactive, incognito account and it fit your baiting style (and writing style) to a tee.
That is your right.

I agree parts of Wading River are not so nice.

Pequaman for the sake of either of us getting into trouble and let this site stand for what it was meant for. Let's stay in our mutual corners and stop accusing each other with nonsense. If you feel I've done something wrong bring it to the Mods attention, not post it. This makes both of us look childish and petty. Can you at least agree to that?

BTW, I would have DM you this but for some reason it won't allow me to.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Smithtown (I am a resident) is an interesting discussion point. In my opinion it is the nicest overall Township on the island. Between Commack, Kings Park, Smithtown, St. James, Nesconset - there is not a bad area (yes, it is not immune to the drug issues, high property taxes, etc, that plague the island). I really find little remarkable about the Merrick/Sunrise highway joys of Massapequa, etc. It is a nice area, but rather blah in my opinion.

Regarding the Main street issues in Smithtown it is a tough call. Smithtown continues to open up restaurants along its little main street strip - Luso, H2o, Casa Rustica, Buteras, Arthur Avenue, Thai, two great sushi places, korean bbq, etc. The longstanding Napper Tandy's. So it is a nice enough area, but to really be a main street in the village sense it needs to slow it all down, like a downtown Port Jeff (not the same size of course, just slower traffic). Not sure how that could work when it is a main cut through for all manner of commutes along that part of the island. Where do you divert the traffic? Slowing it down will simply add more congestion. My take. Cut out some of the parking opposite the little main street area and provide some pull off lanes. Then, enforce some pedestrian walkways and calm traffic PRIOR to hitting the main part of main street. Otherwise it would be pointless to invest much more in a main street that is not conducive to a little downtown walking district. And Vecchio is so tight on that type of spending he "squeaks".

As a sidebar I would highly recommend Luso. Great Portuguese restaurant. Limited seating, but worth the wait, especially if you are a carnivore.

I grew up in Hauppauge but on the "bad side" Islip township. I think it was one of the best places to grow up. Today the biggest problem affecting that entire area is the traffic. Vet's highway, 347, and Rt 25 needs improvements for the areas future growth.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,109,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I get your point but somewhat disagree. In Levittown, Wantagh, Seaford, Mass. Pk area homes are improving even as values decline. People are stuck until the market comes back but low interest rates have kept renovations booming with dormers going up left and right. It is almost impossible to find an original levitt now. Those were the first to hit bottom and when they do they are immediately flipped. I've seen 3 houses in the last month that were foreclosed dumps, bought in the low $200k's and flipped to be a recent sale from $375k to $425k. Each one made the whole block look better.

To concur with your other point, I don't know how we sustain when that
$375k Levitt pays $11k in taxes (not inlcuding insurance)!! The business tax base gets weaker as businesses on Hempstead Turnpike dry up. The "neighborhoods" look good but the main roads and business thoroughfares are in obvious decline.

IMHO, Here's "white ghettofication" in a nutshell...Kmart, Bookstore, giant Ford Dealership, dozens of mom and pop restaurants CLOSE, 24hr Denny's opens and it's the biggest news in years!
Man that is right on the money....especially the part about a chain restaurant being the biggest news in years, LOL.

If things keep going the same as they have been on LI, if we keep losing massive chunks of commercial/industrial tax base, if the property taxes keep spiraling out of control (very much effected by loss of industry) and if we can't attract new business or residents to replace the elderly and long established generations because of it......a lot of suburban LI will become a ghetto. I'm not talking about next week or even five years from now, it would take decades - but there is definitely a point of no return. Although in this respect, I very much disagree with NeilVA's take that the only way out of this cycle is to let everything hit rock bottom and then count on gentrification to turn it around. I also disagree with the premise that LI is experiencing what parts of NYC did years ago. That was a very rapid change, which was more a symptom of white flight and the general exodus from urban centers during the 1950s-1970s. We have places on LI that became what they are out of that too....Hempstead and Freeport. That phenomenon may still exist to some degree, but it no longer happens overnight. Plenty of areas, especially in Nassau and Queens, have seen significant demographic changes, post "white flight" era, and either stayed the same or improved/declined very slightly.

But lets go back to the whole "hitting rock bottom" thing. I think that's silly. First off, gentrification (at least the kind we're familiar with in NYC) does not happen in purely suburban areas. To get people in the door of an area that was previously known for poverty and crime - you need to first attract people who are willing to live on the fringes of society because it also benefits them in some way. That generally means young people, and the draw is, aside from cheap COL, access to artistic/cultural opportunities. That's why places like Hoboken and Williamsburg are successful. They're expensive now and have an identity all their own, but when yuppies & hipsters first started moving there it was just cheap room & board with easy access to the city. That's never gonna happen in a place like Roosevelt or Wyandanch. The big draw for Long Island, and really any suburb, is that it is conducive to raising a family. Schools, safety and the opportunity to earn a decent living. WE ALREADY HAVE THAT!

LI has some of the best public schools in the country and is ranked amongst the safest regions in America year in, year out. The big ***** in the armor is, of course, that it's getting harder and harder to make a "decent living" wage work for us with the skyrocketing cost of taxes and constantly diminishing availability of local jobs (again, the two go hand in hand). So is that a bad thing? Oh yes, very....but it's not sink or swim time yet. If it was, the schools would already be awful and we'd all have bars on our windows. Long Island can definitely be "fixed" before things really do get bad.

People look at a place like Hempstead or Roosevelt and take it as an indication that things are trending downward for the entire island. BS - places like that have been crappy for 50 years now. Those situations are not part of some systematic, islandwide decay that we have no hope of counteracting. Huntington Station gets a little crappier, Patchogue gets a little nicer, Babylon stays exactly the same as it's been for time immemorial..... yes, eventually if the only jobs native to LI become making $200,000 as a Kindergarten teacher or $8.75/hr flipping burgers, we will be effed.....but we'll never see the same thing that happened to NYC 40 years ago happen here.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:00 PM

10,692 posts, read 8,507,194 times
Quote:
The big draw for Long Island, and really any suburb, is that it is conducive to raising a family. Schools, safety and the opportunity to earn a decent living. WE ALREADY HAVE THAT!
You're acting like I said all of LI. I didn't. Its just certain areas are in a downward trend that need to hit a point of stagnation (Maybe gentrification was the wrong word. But I used it as an opposite to ghettofication). Then flippers can come in cheap and modernize the homes and start the growth process. On the other hand Nassau Co. has had no real growth since 1970. Just look up the census since then.
Nassau County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its had turnover. So without the growth of people the expenses have gone up and thus so did the taxes.

While Suffolk has had growth. It has had very few pockets fail.

Suffolk County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long Island in the long run will need to rethink its infrastructure and redesign some areas to be low income so it has a pool of workers to feed its needs. If not the next time you drive through a Burger King that combo may just cost you $12.

Quote:
$8.75/hr flipping burgers,
Some areas are already past $10.00 an hour now.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

136 posts, read 297,534 times
LOL I see I struck quite a nerve with some of the posters on here! Never did I say that Massapequa Park was a bad area, in fact I know it is a fine area (much like other parts of Long Island some of you may deem as 'sketchy'). But the alleged heroin situation in the area is pretty much out there whether you people want to live in denial or not. I mean god forbid if someone has anything even slightly negative to say about your so called pristine town/hamlet/city (for WG of course). Geez. And to imply that the place is perfect shows how close minded some of you people really are. And no I am not 1Nevets. But hey if you want to believe that to make yourself feel better go right ahead.

And gee, I wonder what this guy (linked below) was doing in Massapequa Park LOL Some of you ultra sensitive "conservatives" really need to get a grip.

Man Pulled Over for Texting in Massapequa Park, Arrested for Heroin | Long Island Press

Last edited by fred5; 11-08-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island