Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 AM

106 posts, read 576,693 times

Advertisements

We were driving down Woodbury Road leaving Woodbury heading toward Huntington...I assume we were in Huntington, well the houses looked beautiful...I am wary of Huntington because of previous posts that I read about the schools...what school district would these houses that i saw be in? I cannot imagine that the kids in these homes would not go to a good district...or do they go to private school? please help me out here...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,354,269 times
The homes you're seeing are in Cold Spring Harbor and within the CSH SD.

Basic Huntington area school district lines

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM

525 posts, read 2,345,876 times
YUP, most likely CSH-thought I believe the line is around Rt. 108 (Shore Road which leads into CSH) accross from the LIRR station, so some of the homes may also have been in Syosset SD.

Just a note, the homes are very nice, but Woodbury Road, and 108 are VERY BUSY roads as they are the main routes for the railroad and general commuting (I know the route ALL too well ). So, they are nice, they look nice, but they are on busy busy roads so keep that in mind when seeing the hefty price tag and taxes

Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM

CSH schools, that explains it!!!! thanks...no, not buying on a busy road...have a location issue now and trying to sell, I learned my lesson....

Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM

525 posts, read 2,345,876 times
I wasn't trying to be a downer but I have logged 10s of thousands of miles in that exact area as I grew up, moved the city, and came back bought and lived in that area for a good chucnk of time.

Certainly if you were interested in CSH district, there are PLENTY of very nice homes on very quiet streets so you have many choices. I will admit, in my day all those homes were either raw woods or middle-class ranchs and colonials. Every time I drive down that road now I am flabbergasted at the shear size (like the new house on the corner of Woodbury and Snowball lane -that used to be wooded and a normal colonial on a large lot) of the homes and the lessening green space. There are more "normal" homes in the district, but they too carry a hefty price and high taxes.

Last edited by JustSayNo; 07-09-2007 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-09-2007, 02:24 PM

No no no, not a downer at all....I was just hoping that that area was in the Huntington School District which would have made the homes more affordable for me...I can not afford the CSH district...

Is it true what is said about the Huntington School District? I should definitely stay away?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,771 times
Default reply

Asking your question about Huntington schools the way you did is a not-so-subtle way of implying there's a problem. I have lived here 12 years and the town is fun, lively, and the schools are fine, good in most cases. We do have diversity, which apparently scares some people off, but living in this area, it's a fact of life. Personally, I think my kids are stronger for their learning environment, and well rounded. I have come to realize it's what YOU and YOUR FAMILY MAKE OF IT.
If you want to say they're bad, then that's what you'll think. My kids have gotten an excellent academic education, there are plenty of extra-curricular activities in the schools, a great art and music program, and lots of school and PAL and league sports. But if you want to find trouble, or say there's trouble, then you will. Like life, any experience is what you make of it. So, in your case, yes, you should definitely stay away.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-12-2007 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack/Please don't move to Huntington -- it appears you are type of person who likes to spread rumors.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,917,318 times
The unlabelled district is SD#13, South Huntington.

I went to Whitman (South Huntington) and my cousins went to Huntington. Are they the best schools on the Island? No. Are they the worst? Also no. The elementary schools vary. I would not want my kid going to the ones in the Station. The high schools... well, I'm sorry to say that even since I graduated ('94) there's been some slide.

I agree, though, that there's a racism element to it. When I was in HS, we went to band camp. Attending the same camp were kids from Northport. They asked us where our knives were! They thought that because we were from Whitman, we'd be complete thugs. We were BAND GEEKS!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 AM

56 posts, read 243,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlwag View Post
No no no, not a downer at all....I was just hoping that that area was in the Huntington School District which would have made the homes more affordable for me...I can not afford the CSH district...

Is it true what is said about the Huntington School District? I should definitely stay away?

I've been selling homes in this area for 27 years both in CSH school district & Huntington SDs (3, 1 & 6) & I have seen my customer's kids grow up. The ones that moved to Huntington #3 were wary too when they first moved there with little babies & some of them tried to move to CSH when their kids started school- the majority of them never moved because they loved their houses & when they saw the difference in prices for the same house it didn't make sense to them. So they stayed. Now these kids are off to college or have kids of their own & not one of them was ever unhappy with the schools. I've heard even the school (Huntington El) that IS in Hunt. Sta. is a wonderful school. Huntington Schools get a bad rap because it's diversified & esl kids go to school w/ Hunt. Bay kids. We live in CSH & my 17 yr old daughter goes out with a wonderful boy from Hunt. who pays his way through college, bought his own car & drinks responsibly. HUntington has many beautiful areas in many different price ranges & it would be a shame if you dismiss is because of rumors you hear about the schools.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:47 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,917,318 times
You know, I forgot Huntington El was in the station. I was trying to remember where my cousins went to elementary school--they lived in Halesite. I was really thinking of Washington and Jefferson, which were a problem back in my day.

I see, though, that they've changed the zoning and now use primary/intermediate, so it may be totally different now from how I remember.

Don't get me wrong, though, there is a lot of snobbery involved and I'll be the first to admit it. It's one of the things i really hate about LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island