Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM

177 posts, read 313,171 times

Advertisements

Of course, the word "affordable" is totally relative.

I'm currently trapped in the Southwest - I moved here ten years ago to be with my future husband. Long and short - all was well until we realized that our now 3 year old is on the Autism spectrum. He's high functioning enough where he doesn't need therapy for every aspect of his life, but his social skills are crappy enough that he doesn't fit in well in regular care settings here. Services are sparse and you have to be part of the special needs mommy club to learn anything about them. SO we're moving to super-high tax land (not meant as a knock) so we can have access to better schools, more services and people who know better than to discriminate.

Right now we feel like we can reasonable afford to live upstate and that's been our focus. It looks like there are quite a few towns with good schools and access to the services we might need for our son that have homes in our price range. We'll be really lucky to get 140K for the house we're in which will give us a modest down payment to work with.

Several of my family members however seem to be completely obsessed with getting us back to LI. I don't think we can afford it, they insist we can.

SO: is there anyplace left on LI where you can get a decent home (i.e. not a cottage) for under 200K in a good school district? And please, go easy on me... I'm not the one who's being unrealistic - I would love to move closer to everyone but I don't think we can make it on LI. I think my family wants us home so bad that they just can't see it's not possible.

Thanks very much for any assistance people can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,901 times
Unfortunately, the simple answer to your question is no. You may be able to get a co-op in a decent district at that price.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,331,010 times
It's crazy but I remember reading Newday back in 1999-2001 and the Median price in Suffolk was under 150K.
There is a small but vocal contingent here that believes if you wait, prices will return to this level.
I am not one of these people so your choices are limited. Maybe you can rent?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 AM

63 posts, read 149,547 times
MLSLI.com

I know the Babylon School District is great with autistic/special needs children. I'm sure you can find something, but it's going to take a lot of research.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM

63 posts, read 149,547 times
Sorry, I did a search for Babylon School District, but the link didn't copy what I pulled up. I found a house on Sunrise Highway in West Babylon, but I think the SD is Babylon, for 169K. However, taxes are $7600 a year....

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
Of course, the word "affordable" is totally relative.

I'm currently trapped in the Southwest - I moved here ten years ago to be with my future husband. Long and short - all was well until we realized that our now 3 year old is on the Autism spectrum. He's high functioning enough where he doesn't need therapy for every aspect of his life, but his social skills are crappy enough that he doesn't fit in well in regular care settings here. Services are sparse and you have to be part of the special needs mommy club to learn anything about them. SO we're moving to super-high tax land (not meant as a knock) so we can have access to better schools, more services and people who know better than to discriminate.

Right now we feel like we can reasonable afford to live upstate and that's been our focus. It looks like there are quite a few towns with good schools and access to the services we might need for our son that have homes in our price range. We'll be really lucky to get 140K for the house we're in which will give us a modest down payment to work with.

Several of my family members however seem to be completely obsessed with getting us back to LI. I don't think we can afford it, they insist we can.

SO: is there anyplace left on LI where you can get a decent home (i.e. not a cottage) for under 200K in a good school district? And please, go easy on me... I'm not the one who's being unrealistic - I would love to move closer to everyone but I don't think we can make it on LI. I think my family wants us home so bad that they just can't see it's not possible.

Thanks very much for any assistance people can offer.
NO! I hate to tell you this but go find some other place to live. You probably couldn't even find a place in Mastic-Shirley at that price. Try the Southern Tier, Vestal has a decent school district and you might find a house in that price range. Good luck but not on Long Island.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie1984 View Post
Sorry, I did a search for Babylon School District, but the link didn't copy what I pulled up. I found a house on Sunrise Highway in West Babylon, but I think the SD is Babylon, for 169K. However, taxes are $7600 a year....

It's probably a rundown shack.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 41,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It's crazy but I remember reading Newday back in 1999-2001 and the Median price in Suffolk was under 150K.
There is a small but vocal contingent here that believes if you wait, prices will return to this level.
There are? I'm in the process of buying and have done significant research, including on this site, and haven't found anything that says prices will fall to 1999 prices.

I did see plenty of posts by you over the last year indicating prices will go up... And they have not.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,976,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post

SO: is there anyplace left on LI where you can get a decent home (i.e. not a cottage) for under 200K in a good school district?
No.

Whatever you make on the sale of your home would be much better spent elsewhere. If your relatives want you move back they should offer to put you up for a few years while you save money for a house, otherwise they should stop tormenting you with their own unrealistic expectations that would make your already complicated life harder.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM

177 posts, read 313,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post

Yup - I know exactly what you're talking about. I would be really shocked if prices dropped that low again. I don't like the idea of renting. My husband is real old school and that would almost be like chopping off his manhood. He was already feeling pretty bad that he couldn't afford to move us there. When I realized that upstate was an option he was much happier.

LisaMarie1984 - thank you so much. That was awesome of you. Taxes were the second part of our equation and we were trying to keep them under 6K.

And to anyone else who said no - thank you for being honest and I'm not at all upset or insulted by it. You're just confirming what I was about 99% certain of. I really wish we could come home, but I'm not willing to bankrupt us to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island