Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I think most of Nassau is still one of the best places to live. But at least 25% (and growing rapidly) is no longer inhabitable. Suffolk may be just as bad. What areas in C. Brookhaven did I miss that are experiencing this?
What arent?
Just ask around.

I happen to agree with you on Nassau(Massapegua-Wantagh in particular).
As long as you can accept the Urban backdrop and congestion its still a great place to live (and a good value relatively) considering its proximity to NYC and the Ocean.

I think of it kinda like Northeastern Queens with great schools but high taxes.
(and thats not a slight there are parts of Queens I would LOVE to live in)

Ive softened on Nassau of late having spent more time there.
Not quite the city, not quite the burbs but it has an identity and charm all of its own.

JM2C

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-16-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Unless you want your area to become overrun by vicious MS-13 gangs and the ensuing carnage, you must fight this scourge. Once they get a stronghold, you’re doomed. No one is off-limits, not even pregnant women and innocent children. This is not your garden-variety gang. Beware!

Quote:
In the suburbs of Washington, D.C., police in once-quiet neighborhoods are waging war against the Central American gang Mara Salvatrucha 13, or MS-13.
International Gang Brings Violence to U.S. Suburbs - ABC News

America's Most Dangerous Gang

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
I have seen gang violence in all the states i have been in not just long island. Moving will not do any good.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
It's hard to do anything when the corporations/hijacked gov are running the show. OB wants amnesty for 30 Million illegals; including the element described on LI.
Remember this when you go to the polls
Watched The Gangs of New York over the weekend. One thing that rings true then and now: Tweed at the docks (as the Irish disembarked from the coffin ships) talking with Bill the Butcher, "You may or may not know, Bill, that everyday I go down to the waterfront with hot soup for the Irish as they come ashore. Its part of building a political base. "

As long as the politicians can live far and away from the mess they've created, they don't give a rat's arse.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Well you know I've also been warning folks here of the invasion. But the sad reality it seems is many LI'ers are so lazy and ignorant as they dont want to give up the cheap labor these guys bring (every week it seems ppl want landscaper advice). The use of landscapers has skyrocketed and most people just dont want to do their lawns. It's really a sad state of affairs. Many in wealthy areas, such as East Hills and Woodbury, dont see the effects of the illegal immigration, as these day laborers crowd the buses home to places like Westbury and Hempstead. I even hear Levittown is starting to have problems now.
The island is becoming a divide of the wealthy and the illegal aliens they hire. There's less and less room for people like me and you, people who have grown up in an American middle class life style.
I've spend my whole life on the island and dont want to leave, but if it gets much worse I will be looking at South Jersey.
I cant ride the bus here in Nassau County without being one of the only citizen english speakers on the bus. There's gang grafitti on the seats (usually MS-13 or Surenos) and even the ads on the bus are in spanish. Its no wonder neither the MTA or Nassau County care about what happens to LI Bus, as the majority of the ppl that ride are illegal day laborers who dont vote. The wealthy wont do anything until the bus shuts down and they cant get a landscaper to "clean their lawn".
The population is in a serious state of denial. Long Island is now the 6th borough, complete with plenty of ghettos and gangs. The grafitti is everywhere. The overpaid cops would rather give grandma a ticket for rolling her wheels at a stop sign, than go after real criminals. Many seem to be overpaid and lazy.
Many folks have told me the cops are "afraid" of the illegals, thats why they never hand out tickets to those rickety landscaping trucks driving down the road with a bunch of guys sitting on piles of dirt and leaves on the back.
They also never get pulled over for not wearing seat belts, even though it's obvious with 5 guys sitting on top of eachother in a cab designed to seat 2, that seatbelts aren't being worn.
Like you, I'm sick of the inaction of government officials to crackdown on these guys. But it all comes back to the cheap labor for those "Jones's" types up in East Hills. The politicians kiss their behinds and they want these guys here to clean their lawns and houses.
They'll eventually gate their communities off to the public, while they look at the squalor outside.
Of course I've said all this stuff a million times before. Nobody listens and people call me a racist. I guess obeying the law and respecting our way of life doesn't count for anything anymore, at least not here on LI.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Coram, Gordon Heights, Patcghogue, Middle Island, N. Bellport. They are also entering PJS, Centereach and Farmingville.
Port Jeff station is done, ever since the Bravo opened that whole shopping center has become a major hangout spot for them. They loiter all over the parking lot, and every week I pass by it seems like they multiplied. Also plenty of cars with out of state plates parked there.
Of course I knew that would happen when Bravo came. I guess whoever owns that shopping center could care less about the community.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Take a look at this housing ad:

Looking for a Nice House to live in? (http://longisland.craigslist.org/roo/2019829145.html - broken link)

Looking for a Nice House to live in? (Levittown)

Here is a budding slumlord ... just throwing various people into the bedrooms of a single-family home. If homeowners want to legitimately rent out rooms to boarders, don't they have to also live in the house? This is a disaster in the making for the rest of the residents of Blacksmith Rd. in Levittown and a precursor to the budding slumlord becoming an experienced slumlord learning s/he can make even more money by turning the single-family home into a full-fledged flophouse instead of limiting their income to 1 tenant per room.

If Long Island works on this issue, we can clear up the illegal alien and gangbanger problem because if they have nowhere to live, it will be necessary for them to leave. Gangbangers and illegal aliens pick up and move all the time when their housing dries up, so if they find a place that is "soft" they will doubly and triply infest the area. We cannot afford to be "soft" so slumlords can collect much more rent than they are legitimately entitled to by harboring illegal aliens and gang members at the risk of the rest of the community.
I have a friend in Levittown who said illegals are now popping up in the area. So sad to see the area I spent most of my childhood and teen years now falling to these scum!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
geez....10 grand a year in property tax and u still have to deal with drugs and gangs.....might as well cross the border into queens and get better public transportation and be closer to the city.....save the 10K and put your kids in catholic school if you're not in a good NYC public school district. might not even need the car either depending on where you're at.

also 89 bucks a month for an unlimited monthy metrocard....i have no idea how much a monthly pass is on the LIRR...save that money too

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
geez....10 grand a year in property tax and u still have to deal with drugs and gangs.....might as well cross the border into queens and get better public transportation and be closer to the city.....save the 10K and put your kids in catholic school if you're not in a good NYC public school district. might not even need the car either depending on where you're at.

also 89 bucks a month for an unlimited monthy metrocard....i have no idea how much a monthly pass is on the LIRR...save that money too

This post is a perfect example of why I hate to see threads like this pop up on the LI boards. Even though you claim it's only in that "other" town it still reflects on Long Island as a whole. Any potential resident would question as to why he would want to live here. If the person doesn't know LI he would think the whole place is a gang ridden slum. Places like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, Port Chester have neighborhoods that are worse than CI, Brentwood or even Wyandanch but you don't see residents from neighboring towns trying to demonize them. Eventually it becomes a reflection on the whole county. Just as Seventh Floor said why pay all that property tax to deal with drugs and gangs. Is this the impression you want outsiders to see of LI?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
First off, is the skinny black dude with the weird facial hair in the first video not the most obnoxious piece of trash you've ever seen? Holy christ....I got a migraine watching that. If I ever see this guy I'm going to do the world a favor and flatten him underneath my car. I'll do the jailtime with a clear conscience, no problem. They can even use this post to prove it was premeditated. That will be my gift to humanity.

Quote:
I blame the media, our education system, radical left wing liberalism, our lax enforcement of illegal immigration laws. I mean c'mon...
I don't agree, and I'll tell you why...

In fact before I get into that, I'll tell you I have a really hard time getting worked up about the scourge of illegal immigration at all. As crazy as that might sound, it just doesn't bother me. I don't disagree that the gangs and crime associated with it are everything everyone has said. Disgusting, a massive problem, the cause behind the downfall of any neighborhood they enter, etc. Those videos are hard to watch.

But what are we gonna do about it? We are physically connected to Mexico, and even if the Army Corps of Engineers somehow found a way to slice a massive gap in the continent they would still find a way to get in....in the same numbers they have been. These people are going to continue coming here, no matter what, as long as there is a demand for cheap labor.....and cheap labor in America has shown more growth than any other job market over the last 10-20 years. I've got massive problems with that fact, and plenty of thoughts on it - but they're better left to P&OC so we don't totally derail things and get this shut down.

So we'll look at it from the local perspective instead, which is probably more in the spirit of the O/T anyway....and still ties in with my thoughts on failures at the national level to prevent this problem.

IMO, you're kidding yourself if you think law enforcement can somehow go around kicking down every door or stopping to ask every brown person for ID. Not realistically gonna happen. In fact, I think there is essentially nothing that can be done from a legal standpoint. The sad reality is that Long Island's middle class is eroding while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Other people already covered this in detail in this and other threads, but just for the sake of understanding where I'm coming from....this is already one of the most expensive places to live for average, middle-of-the-road families and it's getting worse every single day. As we lose "normal" people, there aren't going to be others coming along with the means to replace them. When that happens (and we're already seeing it), formerly middle class areas are going to have slumlords come in and chop up single-family residences into cheaper illegal apartments. Middle class families are not going to live in those, it's gonna be a handful of younger people just out of their parents' homes, a couple of divorcees and a lot of lower income working class....which in 2010 generally means illegal immigrants. Like with the demand for labor, I don't really think there's any way to prevent the demand for cheaper housing from manifesting itself....maybe you make a little headway here and there cracking down on building violations, but ultimately it's not gonna stop the forces of nature. There is also the proactive approach of relaxing zoning to allow LEGAL multi-family residences, but LI is too NIMBY and shortsighted to realize that might help. Bottom line is that unless LI fixes the problems that make it an unsustainable place for the middle class to live and an unattractive place to grow jobs and businesses, this is what we're stuck with.

I also want to take a time out and point out that I think, in our current situation, the above is severely exaggerated. Things ARE NOT that bad for 99% of LI yet.....but rest assured, I do think they'll get there in several decades time if things don't change.

Anyway, back to brass tacks....here's where my philosophy gets a little un-PC as well. When you're replacing middle class people with lower and working class people, you're going to have more crime, you're going to have less interest in education and you're going to create bad neighborhoods. Someone show me one public housing project in America that is renowned as a desirable, safe place to live with an excellent school district. High concentrations of poor people = crime. That has been true since money has existed.....and I am a dedicated parishioner at the temple of Capitalism, so don't think that's where I'm going with this. My point here is that if we somehow cut off the current stream of illegal immigration entirely, we're still going to be facing the same problems with gangs, violence, crime, etc. If it's not Hispanics it will be some other group from some other country....in fact, 20 years from now it literally will be since the current crop of "anchor babies" will be grown, full fledged American citizens by then and the most vicious gangs in America will be coming here from 3rd world countries that don't even exist yet. We are living in a country with an economy that runs on this kind of labor. That needs to change in order for any of it's negative consequences to change.....but I have no idea how that is possible in the 2010 global economy model of the world. We live in a country where the middle class expects owning a home, sending their children to college, being able to retire, etc. and we're competing with countries where middle class means having running water and a pair of shoes.

So with all those things considered, I have no animosity towards illegal immigrants. I'm not gonna drop that old cliche "for the most part, they're hard working, decent people" --- cuz tell me any group of people throughout the history of the planet who you couldn't describe that way -- but I'm not gonna sit around all day looking down my nose at them because they "broke the law". They're just taking advantage of a broken system to better themselves. I would do the same thing if I was born in El Salvador and knew I could make 100x what I could ever hope to make at home by being on the other side of an imaginary line. It's just like with the teachers and cops - I'm not mad at them for reaping the benefits of a system that's milking the crap out of Long Island. Again, in their shoes I'd be doing the same....somebody's gonna make that money, might as well be me. However most importantly, preventing illegal immigration (despite not being feasible) is not the problem LI faces when it comes to gangs and crime. The only problem is preventing POVERTY, since those things will exist regardless of immigration status....and rest assured the demand for labor that pays poverty wages will exist were illegal immigration to somehow magically disappear. Maybe the country as a whole cannot do that, but I do think we can if a whole lot of things change. Other parts of the country manage, and for the most part we do right now as well. My concern is for the future, which is a big question mark.

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 11-17-2010 at 01:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island